MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, November 29, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 27.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Walmart workers on strike

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Re: Walmart workers on strike

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:57 pm

Remember_Me wrote:When I entered the workforce for the first time as a teenager I made minimum wage. And the work was crummy.

And you were a teenager not:

That sounds too rosy, isnt it? When Wal-mart builds a store in a town, all the small shops go out of business. These "mom and pop" stores are not as efficient as Wal-mart, nor can they get suppliers to give them goods at cheaper prices. Because Wal-mart tends to be cheaper and has more variety than their small store, poor "mom and pop" have to close their shop (and start working at the local Wal-mart)!

This from the quoted article. But, alas, it is competition so I digress.

I do have my ethical issues with Walmart and many large companies, but in the end I don't shop at Walmart for these reasons:

-It's a shitty layout and I feel like I'm in a crappy warehouse.

-I get shitty customer service and when I do, most people have no idea what they're talking about.

-The prices aren't really that great. Sure, those items they throw right in your face seem cheap, but that's often not what people are shopping for and end up with impulse buys. Ah, the joys of the American consumer.

-One final reason is because their products are often crap. Sure, there are comparable products like cleaners and other household products, but much of their electronics, kitchen items and clothes are shit. Companies make products and sell products to places like Walmart that are the bottom of the barrel. They'll have two comparable products made, one for Walmart and one for higher end(possibly) local stores. They're more expensive at these others because they are often made better with better components. You know why a place like Marshalls is so cheap? The products are often rejects. It's the same with Walmart.

-Also, I think it smells weird in there.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Walmart workers on strike

Postby Sandi » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:59 pm

Remember_Me wrote:I guess we have to hate each other now.

Slacker.

Nope, I am proof that "some" of the 47% will vote for Romney. Although it would be more accurate to say vote against Obama.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Headlines