MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, December 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 26.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Powerball

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Re: Powerball

Postby rabble » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:16 pm

Detritus wrote:
rabble wrote:I'm going to hazard the guess that you didn't read the rest of my post.

Not quoting all of it does not equal not reading all of it.

Yeah, that's certainly true. I got confused because the rest of the post answered the questions you asked and it kinda threw me for a minute. Not a big deal.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:34 pm

rabble wrote:
Detritus wrote:
rabble wrote:I'm going to hazard the guess that you didn't read the rest of my post.

Not quoting all of it does not equal not reading all of it.

Yeah, that's certainly true. I got confused because the rest of the post answered the questions you asked and it kinda threw me for a minute. Not a big deal.

Such is life on these here internets....
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:36 pm

talagaster wrote:When I buy a lottery ticket, I just think of the me in some quantum reality that actually wins. With infinite branching universes emerging from every possibility, at least one version of myself will soon have to worry about capital gains tax.

So what you're saying is that it's a two-step process: 1. Buying the ticket and 2. Making the right choices to place yourself in the correct universe. Of course, #2 depends on both this being a deterministic multiverse and the specific universe being within your power to reach.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:27 pm

I play when the pot gets large, the definition of which varies with how much I hate my job at a particular moment. As long as you don't piss away the rent and food money, I don't see a problem with plunking down a few bucks a week. Wining presents it's own problems, of course. How to invest the money so it will last. I have a hard enough time now worrying about the piddly amount I've got stashed away for a minimal retirement. If we win, half goes to the kids immediately---investing in the genes I passed on seems a wise move, and I have confidence they will use it wisely.
Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:49 pm

IF you win, you need a great lawyer. Someone you can trust and who has experience dealing with very large sums of money. Already have mine lined up...just in case;)

Then my father reminds me about that old lottery joke:

What has 6 balls and loves to fuck poor people?

Still....it is fun to play when the jackpot gets that large, even though winning could be quite horrific!
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:00 pm

david cohen wrote:Still....it is fun to play when the jackpot gets that large, even though winning could be quite horrific!

Have there been studies done on jackpot winners and quality of life afterward? I can see two problems: lack of ability to manage the money effectively, and family and friends coming a-calling for favors/payback/whatever.

Just wondering how prevalent the actual problems are, and how much of it is resentment and hearsay by those that didn't win.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:24 am

No use buying more than one ticket. Your return for better odds is insignificant.
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:25 pm

ilikebeans wrote:
david cohen wrote:Still....it is fun to play when the jackpot gets that large, even though winning could be quite horrific!

Have there been studies done on jackpot winners and quality of life afterward? I can see two problems: lack of ability to manage the money effectively, and family and friends coming a-calling for favors/payback/whatever.

Just wondering how prevalent the actual problems are, and how much of it is resentment and hearsay by those that didn't win.

I think it can go both ways. The 8 folks from that Iowa meat plant that split up $300 million sound like they handled it fine, whereas that jackass in WVa. didn't handle it well at all. Then there was that dude in Fla. who was murdered and buried under a concrete porch after he cashed in his winning ticket...sigh.
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:35 pm

Well, I actually bought a lottery ticket today. I didn't know that they raised the price to $2 so I guess I busted my yearly lottery budget by $1. My father always told me that gambling is a tax on people who are bad at math but I suppose I'm not out much.

If I win the lottery, I'm not giving any of you fuckers jack shit. That makes me the only honest person you've met today. But the king of the Daily Page douche patrol gets a very special present if I win. I'll buy both houses on either side of the Althouse estate and donate them to the Solidarity drum corps. If you play drums and promise to practice at least three hours per day, you can live there for free. I figure we can stuff twenty sweaty hippies into two houses and make one hell of a racket.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:40 pm

Funny, PJ. $500 million prize tonight. I didn't buy tickets. I was too tired after work and I won't win anyway.

You're not going to win Powerball jackpot
http://www.channel3000.com/news/You-re- ... index.html

"The chance of a ticket winning a Powerball jackpot is 1 in 175,223,510 (slightly better than the chance of winning a Mega Millions jackpot, which is 1 in 175,711,536). Here are a few unlikely scenarios that, we're sorry to say, are much more likely than you taking home this jackpot.
From the Harvard School of Public Health:
-- Dying from a bee sting: 1 in 6.1 million.
-- Dying from a lightning strike: 1 in 3 million.
From U.S. Hole in One, which insures golf prizes for holes in one:
-- An amateur golfer making a hole in one on a par-3 hole: 1 in 12,500.
-- A golfer hitting a hole in one on consecutive par-3 holes: 1 in about 156 million.
From a 2011 State Farm study on collisions between vehicles and deer:
-- Hitting a deer with a vehicle in Hawaii, the state where State Farm says deer-vehicle collisions are least likely: 1 in 6,267.
From the National Weather Service:
-- Being struck by lightning over an 80-year lifetime: 1 in 10,000.
From the Florida Museum of Natural History, based on U.S. beach injury statistics:
-- Drowning and other beach-related fatalities: 1 in 2 million.
-- Being attacked by a shark: 1 in 11.5 million."
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:27 pm

I won! I won! I got the powerball number of 6 so I think I won $4 but there's something about a "powerplay" that would give me $12. What in the hell is that?

Anyway, I at least doubled my money, so my lottery budget for the year is in the positive.

I think I'll buy some Susie-Q's with my winnings, considering that I'll never get to buy Susie-Q's again (and it's been about 5 years since I had them).
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:31 am

If you're alive and posting today, then you're a winner as well:)
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:43 pm

Time just ran a story on The Tragic Stories of the Lottery’s Unluckiest Winners. (slide show, 10 slides)

Maybe this should also go under Department of Schadenfreude.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:01 pm

ilikebeans wrote:Time just ran a story on The Tragic Stories of the Lottery’s Unluckiest Winners. (slide show, 10 slides)

Maybe this should also go under Department of Schadenfreude.

Wow, that is some crazy shit. The first three especially. How the fuck do you blow through 315 million in 4 years. It boggles my mind.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:06 pm

Wow, that's discouraging. Seems like, for a surprising number of people who have riches suddenly showered on them, it turns out to be the worst day of their life.

Of course everyone thinks that they wouldn't make the mistakes that those other people made.

Still, I'd rather be able to send my daughter off to school every day without worrying that someone would kidnap her for the ransom. I'd like to be able to have ordinary relationships with my friends and relatives without suspecting that they're just after my money.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Headlines