MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, September 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 73.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Drones over the US

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Drones over the US

Postby Beaver » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:52 am

This could be a good way to deter speeders on the roads.

Military Drones Prowl US Skies
http://news.yahoo.com/military-drones-p ... 38872.html

"Military drones used to track terrorists or insurgents in Afghanistan have also been flying across the U.S. homeland. Newly released documents show U.S. drone flights by the Air Force, Marine Corps and the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency for the first time. The Air Force has tested drones in U.S. skies ranging from hand-launched Ravens to the larger Reaper drones responsible for targeting and killing people overseas — all recorded through the Federal Aviation Administration licenses required to fly in national airspace. That information became public through a Freedom of Information Act request from the nonprofit digital rights organization Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF)...Some Air Force operators have even practiced surveillance missions they might carry out in Afghanistan by tracking civilian cars on the highways..."
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Drones over the US

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:32 pm

Beaver wrote:This could be a good way to deter speeders on the roads.

Military Drones Prowl US Skies

Posse Comitatus Act would probably protect my lead foot, but don't worry Local Law Enforcement can buy their own.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:01 pm

I don't know if they still do it (probably not, too expensive) but they used to run speed checks using small planes over old I-94 and I-90 years ago. So the drone thing, while using more modern technology, isn't totally unprecedented.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:25 pm

snoqueen wrote:I don't know if they still do it (probably not, too expensive) but they used to run speed checks using small planes over old I-94 and I-90 years ago. So the drone thing, while using more modern technology, isn't totally unprecedented.

Based on the purely anecdotal evidence of commuting from Madison to Milwaukee for work for just under a year, followed by 3 years of doing the reverse a few years later, and never getting a speeding ticket, I'm fairly sure they stopped doing the plane thing. Then again I'm also fairly sure as long as you keep it under 80 on 94 the state patrol doesn't give a damn as long as you have WI plates.

I doubt speed enforcement is the use that has people concerned.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:15 am

Speed enforcement use of drones isn't my concern, it's one of the few good uses I could see for this. Going 20 mph over? Zap!
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:25 am

We used planes to help surveil heap leach gold mines. Drones would have been better.

After big rain events there tended to be wash outs of waste rock piles, tailings, etc., and you could photograph all this going into streams. Then would come the fish kills. The mining corporations, of course, hated being "spied on" and wanted legislation to stop government and private citizens from doing this.
Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:49 pm

As recently as last year the WSJ reported the State Patrol using planes to assist troopers enforcing speed limits on 90/94 north of Madison.
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stella_Guru » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:37 am

While out hiking a few weeks ago I heard what sounded like a small airplane engine running roughly, speeding up, slowing down and idling. Then suddenly into view appeared what looked like a drone. It did a 90 degree turn above me then slowly moved on. Now I read that a drone pilot training program is being conducted up at Volk Field. Anyone seen a drone yet?
Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:02 am

They're in your mashed potatoes, Stella. Eat very slowly.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stella_Guru » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:18 am

pjbogart wrote:They're in your mashed potatoes, Stella. Eat very slowly.

Along with the black helicopters, they make great sport! "The little suckers taste like corn."
Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Headlines