MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
james madison beach
Tuesday, July 29, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 71.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Healthiest states

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Healthiest states

Postby kurt_w » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:29 pm

The annual ranking of states' health is out once again. Some highlights:

* Vermont is at the top, followed by Hawaii, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, and Minnesota.

* Mississippi and Louisiana are tied for last place, followed by Arkansas, West Virginia, and Louisiana.

* Interestingly, all of the top 10 (except Utah, #7) are "blue" states, while all of the bottom 10 are "red" states.

Wisconsin is 16th overall, down from 12th last year -- not bad, but you guys could do better. Looking at the individual components of the ranking, here are the categories where Wisconsin is worse than average:

* Wisconsin is listed as worst in the country in binge drinking (this probably won't be a surprise to anyone here...) and also in public health funding (which is a surprise to me).

* Wisconsin is slightly worse than average for air pollution, children living in poverty, and infant mortality.

For those who think the ranking should be based only on health outcomes, not on stuff like public health funding, the state does a little better on the Outcomes ranking -- 12th, rather than 16th.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Healthiest states

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:02 pm

I'm guessing our outcomes ranking will start to slip to be more in line with overall over time.

Binge drinking is hardly a shocking development, but I agree, being last on public health funding is a bit of a surprise even given the changes Walker has made.

* Wisconsin is slightly worse than average for air pollution, children living in poverty, and infant mortality.

I'm guessing Milwaukee has a big influence on the last two. Nothing new there though. Neither party has really had a good solution for Milwaukee's problems.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Healthiest states

Postby Mad Howler » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:32 am

kurt_w wrote:and also in public health funding (which is a surprise to me).

This is very overlooked in my mind, and no I am not surprised. This is very near and dear to me as some of my biggest heros are of this state and labor rather selflessly for us in our public health sector. There is a great deal that has been overlooked amongst all of the hullabaloo of the last couple of years, this is a big one. I will present my thoughts on this front moving forward.

MH
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Headlines