MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, July 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 71.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Welcome Gary Andersen

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Welcome Gary Andersen

Postby doppel » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:53 pm

Badger's are getting a new head football coach. He's from Utah State, who earlier this year beat the Badger's but for a late missed field goal. They caught my eye that game and also went 11-1 against the spread putting a couple of extra nickels in my pocket this year.

It' s said he's bringing his entire coaching staff with him. I think we just got a major upgrade from coach Bulimia!
doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Welcome Gary Andersen

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:22 am

The fact that he is bringing his entire coaching staff is a huge deal. The Badgers lost all of their assistants so this makes the hiring that much easier and it lends continuity for Gary Andersen.

I think it's a win for the Badgers.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:51 am

Well he has a great track record on the field. Utah State got better in each of his years there and he nearly beat Bucky this year with a lot less talent on the field. Have to wonder about how recruiting will play out though don't think he has the connections in the parts of the country where we need them. Confident he can coach the hell out of whoever we get though.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:26 am

I say we give him a season or two before we rate him relative to Bielema, who coached teams to three straight Rose Bowls, two of them legit. Winning in the mighty WAC is not the same as winning in the Big Ten. Texas State, Idao, UT-San Antonio are not exactly Nebraska and Michigan State, let alone Ohio State and Michigan.

The guy comes across as genuine and with his priorities in the right place (a LOT of his players were academic all-conference), but he's about to take a significant step up in terms of competitiveness.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:27 pm

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/badgers/ ... 66691.html

One fly in ointment is that Anderson's offensive coordinator is staying at Utah State.

I really wish Matt Canada would have stayed on as offensive coordinator. He took a lot of criticism in first half of season, but grew into the job.

I completely trust Alvarez to pick a head coach. Badgers have had excellent position coaching in particular over the past decade. What, me worry?
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:57 pm

I'm liking this choice more and more. He seems to combine a very high IQ with a very low DQ(Douche Quotient), which is quite the departure from his predecessors.

This is how you leave a program if you have any class

Kevin Graham ‏@KevinGrahamKFAN

Interesting note I'm hearing from Utah State...Wisconsin coach Gary Andersen has made a $100,000 donation to the university

He also personally called every player on his team to inform them of his decision, rather than telling them to ignore any of the rumors of his departure.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Headlines