MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Wednesday, August 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 81.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

What do you get when you're stockpiling before a storm?

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Re: What do you get when you're stockpiling before a storm?

Postby Ducatista » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:30 pm

massimo wrote:In what liquid do you cook your ribs? I typically use either root beer or ginger beer.

No liquid, dry rub only. Slice up a couple onions, line the bottom of the cooker with them and put the remainder on top of the meat. By the time the pork's done, there's an abundance of lovely, fatty, porky liquid.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:36 pm

ooh, that's fantastic. I'll try that New Year's Day!
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:18 pm

I should try making ribs with just a dry rub, I use one for flavoring, but eventually I get to the sauce (the spicy Sweet Baby Ray's is my favorite). I suppose I'm oversalting them, but I don't make them often and they turn out pretty much perfect, so I guess I like oversalted ribs.

To make ribs I first soak the ribs in a brine for an hour, boil them in that brine for 20 minutes or so, take them out and apply a dry rub of seasoning salt, chili powder and some coarse steak seasoning. I cut the racks in half and wrap them individually in foil and put in a large roasting pot in the oven at 250 degrees for an hour. Open the foil wraps, slather on BBQ sauce and rewrap them for another hour at 250 degrees.

At this point you can either grill your ribs outdoors or simply unwrap them and place them on a cookie sheet, broiling them on low until they're caramelized to your satisfaction. They probably need some more BBQ sauce before this step, but that's up to you.

I tend to make ribs about twice a year when I run across baby backs at $2.99/lb. The spare ribs are much fattier and messier to work with and I usually cook them longer at each stage to reduce the fat, but it never really seems to be enough. I think the last time I cooked the spare ribs was when I found them at Woodman's in the manager's special bin for $.99/lb, which was a steal.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Violet_Skye » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:22 pm

3 Jack's pizzas (the basic ones), Haagen Dazs Dulce de Leche ice cream, Sour cream & onion chips, Plain Tostitos and salsa, and Pepsi. Butter and flour for cookies.
Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Headlines