MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Sunday, September 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 56.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

milk prices (and air travel)

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Re: milk prices

Postby johnfajardohenry » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:43 pm

narcoleptish wrote:I don't know John, I've yet to experience something like this..

But how much did it cost?

And what did the regular seats look like?

Pretty much as they do today.

For as often as I fly, I would happily pay hundreds more for a seat on that plane.

It would probably be thousands more, not hundreds.

And you do realize that you can pay extra and get better seats, don't you? I think on American for $50 you can get a seat with 3-4" extra leg room. If you fly enough, they give it to you free.

Or, for hundreds more, you could upgrade to business class which gets close to looking like that plane.

I think non-business flying used to be considered part of the vacation.

Probably because flying was so expensive that most people seldom did it. It was not that it was so much fun!, it was that it was a rarity. Now anyone can afford to fly.

What are you, a 1 percenter?http://www.thedailypage.com/forum/posting.php?mode=quote&f=37&p=715753#

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Re: milk prices

Postby johnfajardohenry » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:06 pm

narcoleptish wrote:I don't know John, I've yet to experience something like this..

As you mentioned, you never flew before 1988. Here is what it looked like in the main cabin in the 60's on a 707

Having trouble with the picture displaying. Here is the link:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8348059%40N02/6223624308/

Other than the open bins, it looks pretty much like today, no?

Or this seat layout for the then new 737:

Note the 34" seat pitch. That doesn't mean any more legroom since today's planes have much thinner seat backs.

So yeah, keep on telling us how much more fun it was to fly back in the day. Before you actually did it.

As for cost, it costs me about the same today, @$100-125 to fly San Juan/NYC as it did back in 1971. Not adjusted for inflation, in actual dollars. Other itineraries are similar.

If I wanted to cheap it, I could even fly Chalk Airways. They had a DC3 that flew SJ-NY for $50-60. It took about 8 hours including a stop for refueling. Yeah, that was some fun flying. Ever flown in a DC3? Or any other piston prop airliner? It is kind of cool for 15-20 minutes. After that? Not so much.

John Henry

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Re: milk prices (and air travel)

Postby johnfajardohenry » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:22 pm

In 1974 I had been married 3-4 months and my bride and I were going to catch a military hop to NJ and then go visit my parents from there.

By the time we got to the terminal, everyone that had orders on the flight had shown up and the plane had left early.

While trying to figure out what to do, an Air Force guy came through shouting that they were about to leave for Niagara Falls if anyone wanted a ride. That worked for us so we went with him.

It was a piston prop C-130 cargo plane with nylon seats along the side and cargo in the middle. Aft of the wing temperature was in the 40's. Forward in the 90's. Noise and vibration level extremely high. We spent the 8 hour flight trying to get comfortable. Never did.

About 2-3 hours in the pilot came back to use the honeypot, saw my wife and had a fit. Her presence was apparently highly non-regulation. She was wondering if they were going to make her get off.

I just played dumb, told him I didn't know who let her on the plane, all AF types look the same to me. In the Navy we were somewhat more informal and I didn't know better and so on.

At Niagara Falls, we had to wait on the plane until they could sneak her off with nobody seeing.

That was my wife's first plane ride. She wondered it was not like in the movies. We came back commercial and she was much happier.

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:14 pm

Talk down much?

Whether or not the scene in my picture ever even existed is irrelevant. My point is, flying today sucks no matter how much it, or a gallon of milk, costs. It could be free and I would feel no differently.

johnfajardohenry wrote:Now anyone can afford to fly.

Maybe this is part of the problem. If I wanted to spend several hours adjacent to some slob in sweatpants and flipflops with his ipod cranked up, I could go hang out with my cousin's unemployed boyfriend for free.

I bought some milk today and I didn't even look at the price.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:21 pm

I buy milk so rarely I have no idea what it costs.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Headlines