MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 27.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Marsh Shapiro, RIP

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Marsh Shapiro, RIP

Postby Stu Levitan » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:49 am

A mensch, and an important part of modern Madison. Condolences to his family. May his memory be for a blessing.
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Marsh Shapiro, RIP

Postby snoqueen » Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:59 pm

His original Nitty Gritty was the greatest place downtown. I can picture sitting in there on a Sunday night in about 1974 listening to Phil Buss play "In The Pines" with pinball games jingling in the background. One time Phil had a bunch of friends sitting in and they jammed on Folsom Prison. It was one of those performances that lifted the roof off the building and I still get chills remembering how it just would not stop. You could tell when Marsh was happy -- he'd jump up on one of the picnic tables. He did on that night.

The Gritty hosted an amazing lineup of bands. I think the State Historical Society has a definitive collection of street posters from the era -- the beginning of "postering" -- and if someone was interested they could assemble a nice little Gritty retrospective in Marsh's memory.

Thanks to Marsh Shapiro for a fine little bar and some good times -- and that's a nice legacy.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:48 pm

I'm going to open the phone lines tomorrow morning when I fill in for Mitch Henck on Outside the Box so people can share their memories of Marsh and the Gritty. 8-9 am, 321-1310.
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:41 pm

A friend reminds me she first saw Buddy Guy at the Gritty, and remembers how Marsh used to bring up these great bluesmen from Chicago in the early 70s. What opportunities to hear the best.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:00 am

Hey, Snow, could you call in Thursday morning? Would love to have your memories part of the program.
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby robreuteman » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:58 pm

I lived in the apartment above the Nitty Gritty in 1971-72 as I was completing an English degree. I just want to lend my voice to those who remember Marsh fondly.
It's important to note - and though a few have touched on it, it seems largely ignored - that March was an important curator and purvey of Chicago blues during this time. His was the top live music club, the the Gritty for a time formed a triangle of sorts, whereby Chicago blues acts ventured north to Madison, then Milwaukee, before going back home. During breaks between sets and after hours, bluesmen often found themselves in our livingroom upstairs - drinking, relaxing, laughing, whatever. I got to know Otis Rush, Hound Dog Taylor, Luther Allison, Buddy Guy, Jimmy Fast Fingers Dawkins, A.C. Reed and many others. Needless to say, it offered me an education that rivalled anything UW had to offer. I ended up being Luther's roadie for awhile. And have Marsh to thank for it all.
He was the greatest guy, hiring three of my friends and fellow students to tend bar, clean up or cook downstairs. And he never mentioned the dozens of times we'd sneak down and spirit away a few Gritty burger patties for late-night snacks.
Marsh was as important to the early-70s resurgence of the blues in the Midwest as anyone, and he should be remembered and honored for that as much as anything.
robreuteman

Return to Headlines