MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Sunday, September 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 61.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Officer won't face criminal liability in shooting death

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Re: Officer won't face criminal liability in shooting death

Postby jhain » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:28 pm

jjoyce wrote:
jhain wrote:Fairly accurate account except I don't recall Chief Wray saying anything about a Justice Dept review. Does anyone know if this is true?

There was a DOJ review included with the report released by the MPD earlier this month.

Thanks.
jhain
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:10 am

Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:01 pm

Very surprised no foron reaction to either this development or the Noble Wray presser of Friday afternoon.
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bland » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:34 pm

Stu Levitan wrote:Very surprised no foron reaction to either this development or the Noble Wray presser of Friday afternoon.
Not at all surprised that you have no reaction, Stu.
Got anything to say yourself or are you just asking everyone else to tell you how you should respond?
Bland
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:43 pm

Given my various professional responsibilities and extracurricular activities, I have refrained from making any substantive comments about this matter, and will continue to do so. I just thought it odd, given the intense commentary on previous days, that there was no foron response to two major developments. Not sure why that provoked your response, but whatever gets you off...
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:30 pm

I think it may be because some people were committed to supporting the officer's position, and now it seems like it's going in the other direction.

http://www.channel3000.com/news/Heimsne ... index.html

Madison police Officer Stephen Heimsness is the subject of three internal investigations of conduct that occurred before his involvement in the shooting of Paul Heenan, according to the police department...
Last edited by jonnygothispen on Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:20 pm

I think people had no comment because nothing new was being discovered. We have more procedural followup happening, but the facts were what we were commenting on earlier, and there is no more to add because we seem to have exhausted the supply of witnesses.

Nobody's objecting to more investigations -- that's understood to be part of public employment and public service.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Gerth » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:27 pm

Stu, I'm withholding judgement until they tell us what the internal investigations are about. Wray stated the internal charges have nothing to do with excessive force. I'm curious about other police officers and the average number of internal complaints others have against them? Is it a common thing? He said the complaints came from within the department, I have no idea what that could even be.

I am sensitive to the fact that friends and family of Paul Heenan have lost a loved one but the fact remains that I know Steve and he's not a guy who would shoot someone without justifiable police cause. It has not been proven to me that in the fifteen seconds that encompassed their exchange that Steve was a ruthless killer who was bent on killing an unarmed drunk guy.

I'd like to point out that Steve is a musician who lived in the Atwood neighborhood for seven years. I mention that because it's hard not to counter some of the vitriol I hear out there that he's a monster. That's a load of crap.
Gerth

Postby gargantua » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:21 pm

I didn't respond because I was sickened by this thread awhile ago and said I would refrain from further participation.

The refraining resumes.....
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby doppel » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:52 pm

Stu Levitan wrote:Given my various professional responsibilities and extracurricular activities, I have refrained from making any substantive comments about this matter, and will continue to do so. I just thought it odd, given the intense commentary on previous days, that there was no foron response to two major developments. Not sure why that provoked your response, but whatever gets you off...

O.K. I'll bite. What professional responsibility and or extracurricular activitity is restraining you from making any substantive comments about this matter?
doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:04 pm

Professional responsibility - I am a labor arbitrator/hearing examiner for the Wisconsin Employment Relations Commission, hearing grievances and complaints concerning employee discipline.

Extracurricular - I host Access: City Hall on the Madison City Channel, and my guest next month is Noble Wray.
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jhain » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:41 pm

NBC15 is reporting:
According to a source, Madison Police Chief Noble Wray is asking for Officer Stephen Heimsness to be fired. That's after an internal investigation revealed Heimsness often sent inappropriate messages to other officers with squad car computers. Those messages were sent before the controversial shooting happened.

According to a source, numerous complaints have been filed against Heimsness. They show Heimsness sent dozens of messages that were harassing, racist and sexist.

A source says Heimsness wrote about colleagues, dispatchers and incidents he responded to. In some messages he wrote about police calls, allegedly saying "I should have killed that guy."
jhain
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:14 am

(wow!)
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:23 am

There's a separate thread on this latest twist in local government folder.
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Headlines