MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, October 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 69.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Officer won't face criminal liability in shooting death

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Re: Officer won't face criminal liability in shooting death

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:47 am

... which is a "license to kill," no questions asked, despite what the situation merits.

You don't know what the situation merits. 1) you weren't there, 2) you don't have the training.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:04 pm

While you might perceive it that way Maggie, I am not favoring either side in this tragedy. I am simply pointing out that it was preventable but for the actions of the deceased. There is no right side in this, and that's what is making most folks in town very sad. But there are lessons to be learned, no doubt.
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:10 pm

david cohen wrote:Well everyone is lawyered up.

I see civil suit(s) on the horizon. We might know more with sworn testimony in open court, but any suits could be settled privately without further disclosure. That's probably up to the insurance companies involved. But if it does get to court, the burden of proof for liability under tort law is much less than in criminal cases: preponderance of evidence verses beyond a reasonable doubt.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Maggie » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:20 pm

mayact4 wrote:I find it hard to believe that people continue to accuse Heimsness of "emotional problems" and being a problem cop who should be on a desk, because of 3 incidents in 14 years. Out of the thousands of contacts he's had with citizens, especially riding a downtown beat, those 3 are a tiny tiny percentage. If he had a problem, there'd be far more than 3 incidents.

Adam Lanza, who was the Sandy Hook elementary School shooter, didn't have any emotional problems. Gee wiz, he only had one incident in 20 years. That's a tiny tiny percentage. If he had a problem, there would be far more than 1 incident.

Name me one other Madison Police officer who had 3 similar violent incidents like this over the same period of time. Bet you can't name one. Come on name one! I dare you!
Maggie
Forum Addict

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:53 pm

Maggie wrote:
Adam Lanza, who was the Sandy Hook elementary School shooter, didn't have any emotional problems. Gee wiz, he only had one incident in 20 years. That's a tiny tiny percentage. If he had a problem, there would be far more than 1 incident.

Name me one other Madison Police officer who had 3 similar violent incidents like this over the same period of time. Bet you can't name one. Come on name one! I dare you!

Wow this is dumb.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Maggie » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:13 pm

fisticuffs wrote:Wow this is dumb.

It may be dumb, but I noticed you didn't answer the question.

What other Madison police officer has a similar record as Heimsness?

After you answer that question, then you wlll have the right to call me dumb.
Maggie
Forum Addict

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:16 pm

It may be dumb, but I noticed you didn't answer the question.

When you preface a question with the ridiculous bullshit that you did in that post it makes it less likely the stupid question you want answered is going to be. I don't give enough fucks to do the homework necessary to answer your pointless question. If you have the answer please save us all the time and post it. If you have a point to make, and I'm pretty sure you don't as evidenced by your Adam Lanza dumbfuckery, just make it.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:17 pm

uh....question?
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Maggie » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:41 pm

bc89 and jademan7 I forgive you for the horrible obscene insults you have directed towards me. I know that it is the nature of these web forums that people feel better about themselves by diminishing others.

Still I don't understand the animosity and the unwarranted obscene insults that my opinions have caused.

I don't believe I have told any lies. I have already stated that much of what I feel is based on conjecture and my opinions based on what I learned through the media.

I have even apologized to Stephen Heimsness for anything I said that might have been out of line. I have stated more than once that I forgive Stephen Heimsness. He is a victim too. I don't think he is a murderer or a monster. I do think he has some problems, but don't we all. It's just that must of us are not police officers with a gun.

I still believe that Officer Heimsness exercised poor judgement that night that he killed Paul Heenan. I think that this shooting was not necessary and another way was possible. This is what I believe. If this makes me a horrible person then I accept that fate.

Yes, I know, I WASN'T THERE. But you know what, I wasn't at a lot places and I still have a basic idea and opinions about what happened. But I guess according to this logic, I can not have an opinion about anything that happens that I wasn't an eyewitness to. And God Forbid I should feel that a cop might have some psychological and emotional issues based upon his work history. I guess that just makes me an awful terrible person. How dare I posit such a thought because, after all, I wasn't present during any of these incidents so what do I know...

So go ahead and hurl insults my way if that makes you feel smarter and better about yourself. But you're not adding anything to this conversation that is helpful. Instead, you're just showing us how good you are at using obscene insults. You're pretty good at that, but, as far as I can tell, you're not much good at anything else.
Maggie
Forum Addict

Postby Meade » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:45 pm

Don't let them push you back, Maggie. I disagree with much of what you've posted here but I disagree a whole lot more with forons who try to intimidate others from engaging in free and open discussion.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Maggie » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:15 am

pjbogart wrote:I really wish you guys would just shut the fuck up about Paulie Heenan's tragic death...

I really wish people would stop telling other people to shut up. And
do you have to use so many cuss words?
Maggie
Forum Addict

Postby Meade » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:30 am

Maggie wrote:And do you have to use so many cuss words?

Many of them actually do. It's a combination of laziness, lack of vocabulary and urge to pull other people down to their level of baseness.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:04 am

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:51 am

Maggie wrote:
pjbogart wrote:I really wish you guys would just shut the fuck up about Paulie Heenan's tragic death...

Maggie, you sound like a stuck-up prude.

You know who else was a stuck-up prude? HITLER!
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:27 am

DCB wrote:
Maggie wrote:

Maggie, you sound like a stuck-up prude.

You know who else was a stuck-up prude? HITLER!

Enough already. We know you hate what Maggie is saying but no reason to go to these lengths in attacking her persoanlly.
HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Headlines