MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, September 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 52.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Steubenville, OH

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Re: Steubenville, OH

Postby rabble » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:35 pm

I was going to say that you should take a look at the only comment on the article Henry posted, but it's gone now.

It was from a woman who said it's odd that the victim's mother says people ought to have "more of an awareness to where their children are and what they are doing" because apparently the mother was okay with the fact that her daughter was out drinking all night.

There are no comments on that article at all now. From this I infer that comments are being taken down as fast as they go up, which means there ain't much support for the victim out there.

I have re-evaluated my position. I now think that suspending the football program will create the same sort of soul searching and introspection that the south went through after losing the Civil War.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:53 pm

rabble wrote:I now think that suspending the football program will create the same sort of soul searching and introspection that the south went through after losing the Civil War.

I think that would send a message to the community and to the country as a whole that this type of shit WILL NOT be tolerated anymore. Which is ridiculous that we even have to send such a message. It's obvious that other people were there and others learned of the incident yet didn't do anything and that is pretty sickening.

Donald said it wasn't fair to punish the community and the other students and to that I say you're no better than CNN for their coverage. The school and the community helped develop this attitude and culture that athletes are above moral standards and the law.

I knew and know many people who went through high school athletic programs and turned out to be great people. I don't think dismantling these programs is the answer. It's about the pedestal that we put these kids on and dismantling that. If kids are taught that they are privileged as an athlete, they're more likely to do sick shit like this and think it's OK.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:14 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Have you seen how CNN reported on this story?

Whoa, kinda eerie to see how accurately the Onion predicted this two years ago.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:53 pm

Stebben84 wrote:
rabble wrote:I now think that suspending the football program will create the same sort of soul searching and introspection that the south went through after losing the Civil War.

I think that would send a message to the community and to the country as a whole that this type of shit WILL NOT be tolerated anymore. Which is ridiculous that we even have to send such a message. It's obvious that other people were there and others learned of the incident yet didn't do anything and that is pretty sickening.

It might send a message to other towns, yes. But that town is never going to get it. They will always believe it's the girl's fault and they're being unfairly punished. Doesn't matter what the punishment is. It will be unfair. They and their grandchildren will believe that forever.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:44 am

...that town is never going to get it. They will always believe it's the girl's fault and they're being unfairly punished. Doesn't matter what the punishment is. It will be unfair. They and their grandchildren will believe that forever.

...similar to the same sort of soul searching and introspection that the south went through after losing the Civil War.

Yah, right.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:25 pm

And once again we see young teenage girls being raped by high school football players, who once again mysteriously manage to suffer minimal to negligible consequences and retain the affection of their town, while the rape victims are harassed and bullied (or in this case, her family is driven out of town and has their house burned down).

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&gl=us&tbm=nws&authuser=0&q=maryville+rape

And once again, it's only once outsiders start taking notice that anything changes. Now a special prosecutor is being appointed, and the formerly-dismissed charges may be reopened.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:41 pm

Well, this is a change:

Four more school employees charged in Steubenville rape case

The superintendent was charged with three felony counts and two misdemeanors, generally obstruction-of-justice stuff.

A principal, wrestling coach, and assistant football coach were also charged with various crimes.
Good to see that the grand jury has been working on this case.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Headlines