MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, September 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 66.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Glenn Beck's libertarian utopia

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Glenn Beck's libertarian utopia

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:09 pm

Glenn Beck announces plans for Independence, USA

Right-wing rabble-rouser Glenn Beck recently announced that he wanted to "go Galt" and create a self-sustaining community, inspired by the philosophy of Ayn Rand's character John Galt from "Atlas Shrugged."

The community will be known as Independence, USA. If and when it is completed, Independence will produce its own food and TV and film content. There will be homes, baseball fields and a theme park. Think: Small Town, USA, but with a Beckish vibe.

Cost? About two billion dollars. I assume his proposed community, being libertarian based, will have no laws restricting guns.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Glenn Beck's libertarian utopia

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:14 pm

So is the Citadel too crazy for Glenn Beck, or is Glenn Beck to crazy for the Citadel?
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Galoot » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:27 pm

I didn't bother reading too closely, but how does he plan on getting around state and federal laws and regulations? He's such an idiot.
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:29 pm

but how does he plan on getting around state and federal laws and regulations?

That's what the guns are for.
Anyone see the Mr. Show sketch with the guy on the mountain who secedes from the US? Then they have the Olympics featuring all the independent nations of grizzly mountain folk at the end? Good times.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:38 pm

I kinda got lost back there at "Beckish vibe."
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:32 pm

The main entrance to the proposed community will be based on Ellis Island because, in Beck's words, that's how most Americans came to the country.

I'm not sure what century Glenn is living in, but a main entrance based on how most Americans came to this country would probably have more scientific information about reproduction then he is comfy with.

"There's not going to be a Gap here. There's no Ann Taylor. You want an Ann Taylor, go someplace else," Beck said in a video announcement.

You have to wonder what Glenn's issue with free markets is
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:32 pm

It should have been done long ago, but Beck needs to be held on an emergency mental health detention. Something about being a danger to oneself and others. This clown is floridly manic. Sorry if that offends real clowns somewhere!
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:44 pm

Perhaps Becky has utopia mixed up with insurrection.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whiskey_Rebellion
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:08 am

Galoot wrote:I didn't bother reading too closely, but how does he plan on getting around state and federal laws and regulations? He's such an idiot.

Perhaps he'll try to secede...
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:51 am

Bwis53 wrote:
Galoot wrote:I didn't bother reading too closely, but how does he plan on getting around state and federal laws and regulations? He's such an idiot.

Perhaps he'll try to secede...

If Beck secedes, we all succeed.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:03 am

Francis Di Domizio wrote:So is the Citadel too crazy for Glenn Beck, or is Glenn Beck to crazy for the Citadel?

Maybe if Beck sets up shop in Idaho as well, they could battle it out like warring principalities in Medieval Europe.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:02 am

kurt_w wrote:
Francis Di Domizio wrote:So is the Citadel too crazy for Glenn Beck, or is Glenn Beck to crazy for the Citadel?

Maybe if Beck sets up shop in Idaho as well, they could battle it out like warring principalities in Medieval Europe.

And the Discovery channel can televise it all
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:25 pm

Anyone remember the 70's summer replacement show "Almost Anything Goes"? They would pit one town against another in Olympic-style events.

Now I can see an updated version with, like, Beckville vs. Berkeley, Citadel vs. Madison. Folks would compete in a variety of events like gun cleaning, poetry slamming, bowling, drum circles, American History, Soviet History...you get the idea.

Joycie, we need to enlist the finest writers at Isthmus to work up a treatment ASAFP that we can pitch to OWN.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:35 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:Now I can see an updated version with, like, Beckville vs. Berkeley, Citadel vs. Madison. Folks would compete in a variety of events like gun cleaning, poetry slamming, bowling, drum circles, American History, Soviet History...you get the idea.

I love it. Maybe we could also set up some sort of "sister city" thing, or a student exchange program. Or better yet, some sort of wife swap program. Ned, I think you're on to something.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:53 pm

Stebben84 wrote:
Ned Flanders wrote:Now I can see an updated version with, like, Beckville vs. Berkeley, Citadel vs. Madison. Folks would compete in a variety of events like gun cleaning, poetry slamming, bowling, drum circles, American History, Soviet History...you get the idea.

I love it. Maybe we could also set up some sort of "sister city" thing, or a student exchange program. Or better yet, some sort of wife swap program. Ned, I think you're on to something.

Hey, there are dumber reality shows on TV as we speak. We're a divided nation. Might as well use it for entertainment purposes.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Headlines