MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, September 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 65.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

California manhunt

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

California manhunt

Postby narcoleptish » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:44 pm

Anybody following this story? Former L.A. cop, fired in 2007, declares war on police and their families. It's like a movie....guys a highly trained military sharpshooter and weapons expert, three murders so far, a manifesto, freaked out police opening fire on innocent people, suspect escaping into the mountains...

http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/08/us/lapd-a ... ?hpt=hp_t1

The 270-pound former Navy lieutenant promised to bring "unconventional and asymmetrical warfare" to police officers and their families, calling it the "last resort" to clear his name and get back at a department that he claims mistreated him...

One of the victims of the Irvine killings, Monica Quan, was the daughter of the retired police officer who represented Dorner in his efforts to get his job back, police have confirmed...

The LAPD and other agencies have gone to extremes to protect officers. Forty teams of officers were guarding people named as targets in Dorner's letter. On Thursday, one of the teams shot at a pickup that resembled Dorner's but turned out to be a Los Angeles Times newspaper delivery vehicle....

Crazy stuff.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Re: California manhunt

Postby Uncle_Leaver » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:59 pm

Ah yes. Nothing like going on a murderous rampage to clear one's name.
Uncle_Leaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:43 pm

...one of the teams shot at a pickup that resembled Dorner's but turned out to be a Los Angeles Times newspaper delivery vehicle....

Will the U.S. Justice Department investigate? The delivery people were shot by the jittery cops (but neither had died, yet).
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:10 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
...one of the teams shot at a pickup that resembled Dorner's but turned out to be a Los Angeles Times newspaper delivery vehicle....

Will the U.S. Justice Department investigate? The delivery people were shot by the jittery cops (but neither had died, yet).
Thankfully those women were not killed. They were driving a truck somewhat suspiciously, but it was a different make/model/color than the one owned by the target of the manhunt. Other officers fired shots at a different pickup truck just after this incident. The taxpayers of Los Angeles will be paying for this "oopsie" when the lawsuit inevitably happens.
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:15 pm

Dorner's full manifesto, pretty wild: http://laist.com/2013/02/07/christopher ... _in_fu.php

he makes an argument for gun safety here...

If you had a well regulated AWB, this would not happen. The time is now to reinstitute a ban that will save lives. Why does any sportsman need a 30 round magazine for hunting? Why does anyone need a suppressor? Why does anyone need a AR15 rifle? This is the same small arms weapons system utilized in eradicating Al Qaeda, Taliban, and every enemy combatant since the Vietnam war. Don't give me that crap that its not a select fire or full auto rifle like the DoD uses. That's bullshit because troops who carry the M-4/M-16 weapon system for combat ops outside the wire rarely utilize the select fire function when in contact with enemy combatants. The use of select fire probably isn't even 1% in combat. So in essence, the AR-15 semiautomatic rifle is the same as the M-4/M-16. These do not need to be purchased as easily as walking to your local Walmart or striking the enter key on your keyboard to "add to cart". All the firearms utilized in my activities are registered to me and were legally purchased at gun stores and private party transfers. All concealable weapons (pistols) were also legally register in my name at police stations or FFL's. Unfortunately, are you aware that I obtained class III weapons (suppressors) without a background check thru NICS or DROS completely LEGALLY several times? I was able to use a trust account that I created on quicken will maker and a $10 notary charge at a mailbox etc. to obtain them legally. Granted, I am not a felon, nor have a DV misdemeanor conviction or active TRO against me on a NCIC file. I can buy any firearm I want, but should I be able to purchase these class III weapons (SBR's, and suppressors) without a background check and just a $10 notary signature on a quicken will maker program? The answer is NO. I'm not even a resident of the state i purchased them in. Lock n Load just wanted money so they allow you to purchase class III weapons with just a notarized trust, military ID. Shame on you, Lock n Load. NFA and ATF need new laws and policies that do not allow loopholes such as this. In the end, I hope that you will realize that the small arms I utilize should not be accessed with the ease that I obtained them. Who in there right mind needs a fucking silencer!!! who needs a freaking SBR AR15? No one. No more Virginia Tech, Columbine HS, Wisconsin temple, Aurora theatre, Portland malls, Tucson rally, Newtown Sandy Hook. Whether by executive order or thru a bi-partisan congress an assault weapons ban needs to be re-instituted. Period!!!
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:23 pm

That's fascinating, as is the whole unfolding story.

Politics makes for strange, strange alliances.

And craziness is one deep, deep mystery.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:00 pm

He's articulate at least, and doesn't leave too much up in the air.
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:45 pm

Yes, he's quite the Jekyll and Hyde.

Let's not forget the Hyde part. Three innocent people are dead by simple association.

I'll admit it is....interesting (I'm not sure if that's the right word) to get a view inside the head of one of these all-too-common mass murderers, as opposed to the usual mystery of the odd quiet guy who ends up among the dead without saying a word.

I don't have cable tv, has CNN turned this into one of their "Tragedy Shows" complete with lead-in graphic and 3 seconds of music created to relay a sense of sadness, yet edge-of-your-seatness?
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:17 pm

It's revenge. He has the ways and the means. Dude has the LAPD scared shitless. Now he has nothing to lose, so he's even more dangerous. I'm betting more bodies will turn up before this ends ugly. Where is Dirty Harry when you need him? Probably still talking to that chair.

Meanwhile, the LAPD claims they will reopen his firing to address his allegations in the "manifesto"....kinda late for that!

http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/09/us/lapd-a ... ?hpt=hp_t1
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:40 pm

I think it's a strategy to flush the guy out of hiding.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:57 am

Very odd story.
It would be interesting to hear of his day(s) in court.
Does anyone reckon that will happen?
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:31 am

He's a big fan of Barry 'n Shelly, Hillary, Biden and MSNBC.

Can't wait for the LSM to cover this angle.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:14 am

So am I the only one who, every time they read this thread title, follows it up with "...on such a winter's day"?
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:54 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:He's a big fan of Barry 'n Shelly, Hillary, Biden and MSNBC.

No big surprise that he would be a fan of Barry White, Shelly Mann, Sir Edmund Hillary, and of course Joe Biden--everyone likes them.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:16 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:He's a big fan of Barry 'n Shelly, Hillary, Biden and MSNBC.

Guess your handlers forgot this:

On New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie:

Gov. Chris Christie. What can I say? You’re the only person I would like to see in the White House in 2016 other than Hillary. You’re America’s no sh-t taking uncle. Do one thing for your wife, kids, and supporters. Start walking at night and eat a little less, not a lot less, just a little. We want to see you around for a long time. Your leadership is greatly needed.

On former President George H.W. Bush:

The honorable President George H.W. Bush, they never give you enough credit for your successful Presidency. You were always one of my favorite Presidents (2nd favorite). I hope your health improves greatly. You are the epitome of an American and service to country.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/02 ... s-request/

You know what all his likes have in common. NOTHING. The dudes crazy and that's that.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Headlines