MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Wednesday, July 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 60.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Not exactly terrorism, just proof security hocus pocus bogus

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

If de Lima hadn't been tackled, he would have won:

Gold
100%
Silver
No votes
Bronze
No votes

Total votes : 3

Not exactly terrorism, just proof security hocus pocus bogus

Postby Mike S. » Mon Aug 30, 2004 12:12 am

For those who missed out, Cornelius Horan, 57, bound out onto the road course and into the direction of de Lima, who saw Horan coming and slowed down before being tackled into the crowd lining the other side of the street.

Spectators pulled the kilt-, green-knee-high-socks and beret-donning Horan off de Lima, allowing him to return to the race, but he lost several seconds to the pack trailing behind, and was eventually passed by Stefano Baldini of Italy and Mebrahtom Keflezighi of the United States.

Baldini took the gold with a time of 2:10:55. Keflezighi took the silver with a run of 2:11:29. De Lima was the bronze medalist in 2:12:11, a minute and 16 seconds behind Baldini.

from http://www.augustafreepress.com/stories ... ader$25529

According to various Googleable reports, the deranged ex-priest who tempted Zeus' lightnings:

a) had formerly served some jail time for disrupting a Grand Prix race by standing in the middle of the track while race cars going 200 mph swerved around him
b) "attempted a protest on Wimbledon's Center Court during a rain break, and tried to disrupt cricket and rugby matches."
c) arrived in Athens today on a British Airways flight
d) wore the exact same costume as when he disrupted the Grand Prix
e) wore a sign on his back saying "The Grand Prix Priest" in one color and "Israel Fulfillment of Prophecy Says the Bible." below it in another
f) got past the security cordon around the roadway, got past the security officers on bicycles and was able to tackle the clear front-runner of the race upon whom all cameras and attention were trained

These things make me rather skeptical of just how well all the "security" precautions really work to target terrorism. Now, legitimate political protest may be another matter - if you posted a call for a demonstration on a Web site and filed for a permit with the city and so on. But if it had been a more violent political dispute and someone wanted to stab a famous athlete to death on the course they unquestionably would have succeeded.

All this means that if I were a VIP among the Republicans in New York right now, I'd be sweating a bit...

Anyway, my original purpose was actually to ask a question... I have absolutely no idea what it would be like to run a marathon, but my gut reaction is to believe de Lima 100% when he says that the tackle cost him the gold medal. My assumption is that an Olympic champion running the last three miles of a marathon doesn't actually have ACTH and adrenaline pulsing through his blood, but has some calm mental way of directing his blood only to those muscles that need it - so that if you suddenly scare the hell out of him so he has to be able to react to anything, that he'll have blood running to his brain, fists, arms, trunk, etc. that isn't properly budgeted and the result will be a strong premature fatigue as de Lima evidenced. This is what I interpret as the meaning of his statements about his "rhythm" or "concentration" being thrown off. Do you buy this, or do you think that getting charged like that and held up for six seconds cost him exactly six seconds, as the rather desperate sounding announcer seemed to be suggesting on NBC just after the event?
Mike S.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby meowzamusic » Mon Aug 30, 2004 2:05 am

This marathon was one of only a few (or maybe the only) events to air live on NBC--and this guy obviously knew that, as his disruption would have been edited out had it been taped and then broadcast later.
It was truly a bizzare thing to have happen in the middle of the race, though this guys appears to be a mostly harmless religious nut---though it does seem to prove that if someone wanted ill will on an olympic marathoner it would not be difficult.
meowzamusic
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mike S. » Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:23 pm

Nay, I don't buy that. You can't just "edit out" how it is that the guy leading the race is all of a sudden in third place; besides, it'd be news in any case.

A better reason to target the marathon is that a 26-mile course is hard to control - but even so, I'd have expected them to control the little moving area right around the front-runners.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if the "religious fanatic"/lunatic was actually on the payroll of somebody with some bets on the race. Anything that you can bet on will be fixed. Good luck proving it, though - especially if you can pay off the fanatic with anonymous donations to his favorite anti-gay organization or something.
Mike S.
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Headlines