MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, September 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 52.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Catching a bike thief. Downtown Madison

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Catching a bike thief. Downtown Madison

Postby kmgsft » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:28 am

Anyone have any tips on catching a bike thief? My Trek 3500 (black/green) was stolen on St Patrick's day. I have video footage and posted it to YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, and even a reward on Craig's List.

Short Version
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMdYF7p6 ... e=youtu.be

Full Version
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teA1RrRxs8k

Leaving the Ramp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtQBoT3t ... e=youtu.be

Anyone know who this is?!!

:evil:
kmgsft

Re: Catching a bike thief. Downtown Madison

Postby Endo Rockstar » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:45 am

What you have there is my job's biggest pain in the ass: Video of someone doing something wrong/illegal, and there is absolutely no video system in the world that will tell you who that fucker is.

I deal with this crap all the time and I hate to say it but your chances are slim to none unless someone recognizes this person or he comes back again and you catch him in the act.

Figure out how he gained access to the building. Electronic access, hard key, or did he piggy-back on someone else's entry. That might eliminate a few variables for you.

**edit: I should add, figuring out how and when he got in will give you a better chance of finding out who he is. Video of him in the act and leaving won't do a lot for your chances of identifying him.

** double edit: (sorry, this is what I do) based on how familiar your thief is with the area and the exits you need to take a look at staff and residents of the building. The shoes and pants point to maintenance or custodial types.

** shit you got me started edit. is the time stamp a 24 hr clock? if that was 11 pm that's quiting time for 2 shift custodians and maint people. 11am may be a lunch break for 1st shift staff in the area.

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kmgsft » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:34 pm

It was 11am .. on a Sunday. (timestamp was off on the main photo).
kmgsft

Postby robbie webber » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:09 pm

1. That is an underground lot that is open to the public. I have parked there many times without having access to the building, so the thief does not need to be familiar with the building or have key-card access to be able to walk around in there.

2. It looks like he stashed some bolt cutters behind the pillar. He was likely wearing gloves - for the cold, not to be sneaky, but maybe not and you could prints off the bolt cutters.

3. The guy in the yellow jacket may be a regular in the building, so maybe you can find him and see if he got a better look at the thief.

4. Post it on Bikies (local transportation bike listserv) to see if anyone recognizes the guy. We all hate bike thieves like cowboys hated horse thieves.
robbie webber
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kmgsft » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:25 pm

I'm also giving Craigslist a try:
http://madison.craigslist.org/laf/3694876289.html

I've been monitoring the bikes section .. no luck yet!
kmgsft

Postby narcoleptish » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:47 pm

The "leaving the ramp" video makes it appear to be daylight outside. The parade on the square was at around 1 or 2:00. You might try looking online for photos from the parade, the guy's wearing a fairly recognizable outfit.

He sure took his time after cutting the bike loose. Kinda odd to stand around there for several minutes futzing with the thing. I'm guessing he's done this a few times and has his M.O. down.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby robbie webber » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:57 pm

He may be a professional. Note that he appears to make a couple of calls. Might be checking on the type of bike to be stolen and where it needs to be delivered. He also seems to back off to make a call a couple times before getting the bike loose. I'm guessing there were other people walking through the ramp, and he pretends to be on the phone, so they don't see him working the lock.
robbie webber
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:42 am

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dave esmond » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:48 am

robbie webber wrote:He may be a professional. Note that he appears to make a couple of calls. Might be checking on the type of bike to be stolen and where it needs to be delivered.

I kinda doubt it. A Trek 3500 isn't a very valuable bike.

But maybe there is a market for bikes you can buy for $200 off craigslist. Who knows.

Or maybe Madison is moving closer to being the Netherlands where people steal low value bikes all the time.

I hope they catch the guy. I really hope so.
dave esmond
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dairylander » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:15 am

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears you did not use a "U" lock.
Anything else is just a deterrent, not a real lock, so you'll get no sympathy from me.
If any of you use an old U lock with a cylindrical key, you may want to upgrade. This is old news, but it's worth repeating:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5efaWSWwlk
Dairylander
Forum Addict

Postby kmgsft » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:22 am

This is my new lock now:

http://www.amazon.com/Kryptonite-999515 ... 001KQ5ZRG/

I learned the hard way about the cable locks. I need something longer to lock up my frame and my wheels though.
kmgsft

Postby dave esmond » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:58 am

Geez. I'm certainly wouldn't blame the victim for using whatever lock they used.

ANY style lock can be beaten. ANY.

Look to what folks in places like NYC or Amsterdam, places where bike theft is rampant, use.

Some of the best ways are to use 2 or even 3 locks. Thieves won't take the time.

But that means carrying 2-3 heavy locks. Something I wouldn't do.

Other then that you can just develop the mindset a lot of people in those places have. They plan in replacing a stolen bike about once a year.

At least that way you don't take it as hard. Still sucks tho'.

I'm glad I can leave my bike in my office during the day.

Once again I hope you get your bike back.
dave esmond
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kmgsft » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:04 pm

There has to be more places I can post this. Its all over YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, and I have it in the lost and found section of Craigslist (probably not the most visited area but its getting some traffic). I was interviewed by Channel 3000 also which really helped. Anyone have any other ideas on this?

Thank you!
kmgsft

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:10 pm

Was your bike registered? If not, then it's probably long gone at a pawn shop.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kmgsft » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:14 pm

It wasn't but I had the serial number and the officer said when he filed it that the number is sent to all the pawn shops. Hopefully thats true! I did call a few pawn shops right away Monday morning and no luck.
kmgsft

Next

Return to Headlines