MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, September 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 42.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Guess what's trending the same direction as SS marriage?

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Guess what's trending the same direction as SS marriage?

Postby snoqueen » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:46 pm

Marijuana legalization.

By 52 to 45 percent more say marijuana should be made legal than not, with support for legalization jumping seven points in two years and 20 points since the 2002 General Social Survey.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the ... s/?hpid=z4

Once again, it's younger people (that is, voters) leading the change. What's next?
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Guess what's trending the same direction as SS marriage?

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:01 pm

Before Ben Masel died, he said he was surprised that pot wasn't yet legal.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:13 pm

It appears that the Culture War is nearly over.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:37 am

I was gonna guess SS divorce, but maybe it's too early for that.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stella_Guru » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:42 am

After indulging in the sacrament everyday for forty plus years I am here to say that marijuana is not addictive. No brain damage also.
Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:45 am

Stella_Guru wrote:After indulging in the sacrament everyday for forty plus years I am here to say that marijuana is not addictive. No brain damage also.

I agree, but if my dealer doesn't get here in the next half hour I'm going to f#$%ing KILL someone.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:41 am

The biggest reason SSM is now a major issue is because many members of the GLBT community said they would withhold their donations and votes unless the Democratic Party did something about it. Nothing will change about our drug laws until those who support re-legalization do the same thing.

As it stands now, President Obama laughs (literally) at the idea of legal marijuana and his admin continues on with the policy that pot is more dangerous than cocaine...because he knows most of the tokers who vote will still vote for Dems, no matter what.

It would be nice if he flip-floped (flip-flop-flip? Ain't sure how many times he's changed his mind on this one) his stance before his term ends, but it seems the President has already used most of his political capital on other issues he feels are far more important.

Unless folks REALLY hold Hillary's (or whoever is the nominee) feet to the fire on this, we're still at least a decade away from legal marijuana. Also, if we end up with universal healthcare soon then the Drug War would most likely continue on for several more generations.
penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:17 am

Stella_Guru wrote:After indulging in the sacrament everyday for forty plus years I am here to say that marijuana is not addictive. No brain damage also.
This post is amusing. How would you know if it's not addictive if you've never tried to stop using it?

And you mean, "no brain damage either", right?

I actually don't care if marijuana is or is not brain-damaging or addictive. People should be free to do whatever they want with their brains.
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:44 am

gargantua wrote:It appears that the Culture War is nearly over.

No, we still have abortion. See e.g. North Dakota.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:48 am

penquin wrote:As it stands now, President Obama laughs (literally) at the idea of legal marijuana and his admin continues on with the policy that pot is more dangerous than cocaine...because he knows most of the tokers who vote will still vote for Dems, no matter what.

I am more disgusted with the situation in our own state.

CO and WA have helped put pressure on the feds and there is good indication they are realizing their powerlessness due to public opinion.

Everyday I hear and read questions about how to create jobs.

Marijuana is the elephant in the room regarding jobs/econmomy and a lot of other issues as far as I am concerned (i.e. medicine, food, clothing). Until we elect some more open minded state legislators we will continue spending twice as much compared to neighboring MN and MI locking up non-violent pot smokers in cages. And that is just the costs of current incarceration.

It is STILL a felony in WI for 2nd offense pot possession - any amount (potential 3 years in PRISON). One of the harshest penalties for pot in the nation.

They have a hemp bill in Kentucky with a good chance at passing. RI just decriminalized pot in their state. Even AK and MO have medical bills gaining traction. Meanwhile here in WI the politicians wonder how to create new jobs and how to save money. Only a small handful of Dems in the state Capitol will support marijuana in WI. Makes me sick.
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:59 am

Henry Vilas wrote:Before Ben Masel died, he said he was surprised that pot wasn't yet legal.

It would have been legal for medicine before Ben passed away if Julie Lassa (D) would not have sided with the Republicans and blocked the 2010 bill in committee. Sure I blame the Republicans, but Lassa should have known better. She cost a lot of jobs in the state and an accomplishment during Doyle's term that the Dems could have been proud of.
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:50 pm

ArturoBandini wrote:
This post is amusing. How would you know if it's not addictive if you've never tried to stop using it?

And you mean, "no brain damage either", right?

Is there something ungrammatical about "also"? Surely, "Also, no brain damage" works.

BTW, I believe Stella_Guru was joking, channeling Mark Twain's "Quitting smoking is easy, why I've done it hundreds of times."
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:28 pm

When the state of Kentucky (or commonwealth, I guess) is working on more progressive legislation than Wisconsin, you know how bad it's gotten around here.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stella_Guru » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:44 pm

Attending a rock concert in Madison 40-45 years ago meant passing through a gauntlet of pot dealers at the front door. After seeing McGuinnes Flint at the Coliseum I thought pot would soon be legalized.
Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:46 pm

I love pot, which is too say I'm a happy stoner. I don't get paranoid or tired or anxious. I think pot is mostly a social lubricant much like alchohol, although everyone reacts differently.

I stopped smoking pot a long time ago, chiefly because acquiring it is so awful, especially as you get older and social connections to weed dry up.

Hmmm, speaking of unpleasant social connections.... I just had a flash back to an incident back in the day. I somehow got directed to a guy living at the Brooks Street Y to buy some pot. He was a large, muscular, snarling black guy whose day job turned out to be professional kick boxer.

I get inside his little Y room, and he throws a knife near me, it lands with a resounding "thonnnnng" in the door. He had my attention. This guy was a character from a cheap black exploitation flick from the 70's. The bad man says, "Are you a cop? You look like a cop." Meeting new people is not always what it is cracked up to be.

I honestly can't remember how the rest of our little chat went. I imagine I did not drive any hard bargains. Come to think of it, that was the last time I ever bought pot, other than tiny amounts from friends. Go figure.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Headlines