MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Tuesday, October 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 50.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Was Heimsness high?

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Was Heimsness high?

Postby Stu Levitan » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:34 pm

New petition for further investigation into officer-involved shooting of Paul Heenan seems to suggest he may have been:

Too many important questions remain unanswered regarding Officer Heimsness' whereabouts 48 hours prior to his shift, his mental fitness, potential drug use, attitude when undermined, whether he truly feared for his life and why he would shoot an unarmed man three times who had begun to obey his orders.
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Was Heimsness high?

Postby SlayerDave » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:40 pm

Lol, yes, that's certainly one way to interpret that.
SlayerDave
Forum Addict

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:01 pm

I have lots of friends who knew Paulie well and are participating in the never-ending aftermath of this tragic event but seriously? It's time to move on. Paulie got too drunk and did something very stupid. The Officer did what he thought was right in a split second decision he'd been trained to handle. It wasn't right but it wasn't criminal. If people would just accept that maybe they could learn something from this. If you're that intoxicated bad shit can and will happen. If you're around someone that intoxicated and you care about them at all then get them home safe, all the way home and preferably to the right home.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kyle Motor » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:07 pm

Too many important questions remain unanswered regarding Officer Heimsness' whereabouts 48 hours prior to his shift, his mental fitness, potential drug use, attitude when undermined....

Is there any basis for these accusations?

Contrary to what one might expect an officer to be wearing, Heimsness arrived sporting long hair, a beard and mustache....

Not to make light at all, but how can this be taken seriously? Is a police officer supposed to appear as if they just got out of boot camp?
Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:33 pm

It's pretty apparent that the petitioners aren't really interested in an independent, objective investigation. The petitioners are interested in an investigation that confirms their belief that the officer was at fault. They will find something wrong with any investigation that does not confirm that point of view.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby doppel » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:38 pm

Stu Levitan wrote:attitude when undermined,

I know this phrase is English because I recognize the words, but what does it mean?
doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:46 pm

doppel wrote:

I know this phrase is English because I recognize the words, but what does it mean?

I think it means, how does he react when faced with adversity? Does he have a tendency to overreact? Is he cool under pressure?

That said, nothing is going to bring Paulie Heenan back to life, so I don't see how picking at scabs is going to benefit anyone. Just leave it alone and let it heal.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:46 pm

I have lots of friends who knew Paulie well and are participating in the never-ending aftermath of this tragic event but seriously? It's time to move on. Paulie got too drunk and did something very stupid. The Officer did what he thought was right in a split second decision he'd been trained to handle. It wasn't right but it wasn't criminal. If people would just accept that maybe they could learn something from this. If you're that intoxicated bad shit can and will happen. If you're around someone that intoxicated and you care about them at all then get them home safe, all the way home and preferably to the right home.

Yes.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:48 pm

doppel wrote:

I thought it was clear from my use of a colon and italics, but I did NOT write the italicized section -- that is from the petition.
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:09 pm

Stu Levitan wrote:
doppel wrote:

I thought it was clear from my use of a colon and italics, but I did NOT write the italicized section -- that is from the petition.

I was going to dive into this with you Stu but it will have to wait....bombs in boston....

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby drinkinblackcoffee » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:12 pm

Can someone confirm whom authored this petition? It appears to be Amelia Royko...maybe her husband.
The entire "petition" seems to take liberty filling in history, motive, and actual dialogue as seen fit by the author. I get that someone was probably pretty emotional when this was written (looks like it was written closer to the actual event in November), but this kind of irresponsible writing actually discredits any movement against the officer.
I'd love to hear why the author feels officer's drug use should be investigated. If its based simply on a appearance (this is my guess), its quite ironic.
drinkinblackcoffee
Forum Addict

Postby Jademan7 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:14 pm

snoqueen wrote:

Yes.

Very well put.
Jademan7
Forum Addict

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:32 pm

Stu Levitan wrote:
doppel wrote:

No, but you DID write the thread title, which is almost as irresponsible.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:20 pm

If those wishing to honor Paulie's memory would put their time and effort into some innovative program to encourage people to watch out for their drunken friends, help them get all the way home, etc, I think it'd be more appropriate and satisfying -- maybe similar to the designated driver program, but instead like "designated friend for tonight."

I wasn't born yesterday and don't think exhorting people not to drink so much is going to end the practice, but increased awareness and discussion of the dangers of getting blotto can't do any harm. It could have more of a community focus than one-by-one blaming, emphasizing the idea we all need to help one another and how specifically we can do so.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby SlayerDave » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:49 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:No, but you DID write the thread title, which is almost as irresponsible.
SlayerDave
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Headlines