MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, August 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 72.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Massive Explosions at Boston Marathon

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Re: Massive Explosions at Boston Marathon

Postby Meade » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:32 pm

Madcity Expat wrote:he is an asshole for insulting the city of Boston on ideological grounds in doing so.

How was he insulting the "city of Boston"? He was insulting (deservingly) specific ideologues of the city of Boston, not the city of Boston. Looks like the "asshole" in this case, Madcity Ex, might just be you.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madcity Expat » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:38 pm

Meade wrote:
Madcity Expat wrote:he is an asshole for insulting the city of Boston on ideological grounds in doing so.

How was he insulting the "city of Boston"? He was insulting (deservingly) specific ideologues of the city of Boston, not the city of Boston. Looks like the "asshole" in this case, Madcity Ex, might just be you.

I weary of the inanity. It's so hard to know where to start that I fear I must simply yield to your stupidity. But I'm not in the mood to despair, not yet. So, in no particular order:

1) A point of style: Meade, are you calling me an asshole or not? If you are, no need to use quotation marks. For review, click here and scroll down to "Signaling Unusual Usage"

2) Meade, please invest some effort thinking up a better retort than "I know you are, but what am I?" All of your replies are variations that theme. Psychological projection is extremely feeble and lazy argumentation. Do a little research and come up with something better.

3) Of COURSE he was insulting the city of Boston - are you seriously suggesting that any Bostonian, whatever their politics, would not be insulted by Bell's remark? Are you really that stupid? How about you volunteer to go to Boston and stand on a corner with Bell's tweet on a sign and see how many Bostonian conservatives show up to defend you from the crowd of "cowering" Boston liberals that gathers. Read it again.

4) Further, would you be so kind as to confirm that you think it is appropriate ("deservingly" [sic] was your word) to insult some Bostonians, based on their political and/or ideological identification?

Please, tell us again that this is a right and proper thing to do in the wake of a terrorist attack to categorize some of the victims and bystanders as deserving of ridicule based on their political preferences. I'll have to remember before I open up my wallet next time a tornado levels some suburb in Oklahoma (*sigh*...in case you're too thick to get it, that last bit was sarcasm)

5) To the Foron Community, I know I took the troll bait - even provoked it on this thread. I should know better. I haven't engaged with Ned or any Nedlings for years. I'm pissed off at their exploitation of Boston's pain (all of them) for brazen and shameless ideological scorekeeping. But I know how it works - if I'm pissed, they got what they wanted. I'm not surprise about Meade, but I thought maybe, just maybe Ned might be an adult, just for a little while. I guess not.

I have to admit - Meade, Leroy, Ned - I'm morbidly impressed at the way you circle the wagons. You wouldn't catch me backing up some lefty foron if he was defending something so reprehensible. Sometimes you have to let your moral code trump your ideological code.
Madcity Expat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:23 pm

1. Yes
2. No
3. Yes, yes, okay.
4. I do.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:37 pm

Don't feel bad about talking back to the trolls, Expat. In my opinion, if no one does it this becomes their forum. Maybe that's what JJ wants in the long run, but we're not there quite yet. (You'll know when we are. It won't mean anything, we'll just have to find something else to do.) Meantime, I think the back and forth has a degree of value just for the information it collects. Nobody's mind gets changed, but many people's thinking gets sharpened.

Perhaps you, as I do, wish the troll faction would explain how at any point anybody in Boston would have been safer with a gun in the house or in their car during this event. Nobody was attacked in their house, one person in a vehicle was hijacked and let go unharmed, and the cops were the only ones shot at (or killed, unfortunately). Shooting at a bomb is pointless, of course, and nobody identified the bombers until they were caught on surveillance video hours later.

I don't care if people go out and buy guns now or not, though I wonder how many will be simply adding to their Nancy Lanza-style stockpile as opposed to being new gunnies. The question is are guns of any use in a situation like this, not how many can the NRA's backers sell in a weekend. That's a who-cares question unless you've got gun companies in your 401(k) portfolio.

To me one of the main messages of the Boston story is what happens when a civilian messes with the government. They're facing helicopters, all different tactical vehicles and weapons, hundreds of organized and well-trained troops with advanced communications and investigation technology including robots, and they get pretty much smothered. All the people are cheering for and helping the cops, none are helping the person being pursued. If that's what you want (think about the last one, the guy in California) that's what you get, I guess.

Sooner or later these stockpilers who think they are going to shoot their way out of some fantasy armageddon need to step back and think it over. I hope it's sooner, because the more of this stupid desperado stuff goes on, the more innocent people get hurt.

This same nonsense fantasy stuff happened in the 60s when different political groups imagined some kind of popular revolution was in the offing. It wasn't then, and it's not now, and to think you'll be the fantasy hero who starts it is silly and only leads to tragedy.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Leroy Gates » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:55 pm

Yup, they can spot an insult a mile away but can't imagine a single scenario where a gun might be useful. Like maybe instead of hiding in the boat the Jihadist decides to come in the house and play with your children. And what are you going to do? Throw a book at him? But that would be too big a stretch, unimaginable, a fantasy.
Leroy Gates
Forum Addict

Postby alpuz » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:03 pm

So, did that happen, Leroy? Or, is that just another one of your fantasies?
alpuz

Postby Leroy Gates » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:15 pm

It was certainly within the range of possibilities. If you were in that neighborhood and co-operated with the authorities and stayed inside would you consider locking the door and keeping a weapon handy if you had one? Were all the people who did that wrong?
Careful now, you don't want to insult a whole city.
Leroy Gates
Forum Addict

Postby alpuz » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:27 pm

So it was a 'fantasy', still 'within the range of possibilities'? That's your call?
If I was 'in that neighborhood' I would've locked my fuckin' door.

What are you talking about, Leroy? What does this actually mean up in your noodle?

"Were all the people who did that wrong?" Who's 'all the people,' and where do they(the imagined people) enter the equation?

That's just the beginning. You're the one actually fantasizing all the while creating fantasies to support your 'unimaginable' positions.

You're a strange bird.
alpuz

Postby pjbogart » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:00 pm

snoqueen wrote:Don't feel bad about talking back to the trolls, Expat. In my opinion, if no one does it this becomes their forum. Maybe that's what JJ wants in the long run, but we're not there quite yet. (You'll know when we are. It won't mean anything, we'll just have to find something else to do.)

Let's not get melodramatic, Sno. I'm pretty sure the "libs" still outnumber the "dittoheads" by a pretty comfortable margin. And keep in mind that these clowns think they scored some sort of "victory" when the bombers turned out to be Muslims rather than Teapers. They also seem confused by the difference between a filibuster and a vote on a bill.

That's what makes them tick. All the tough guy gun-talk is just hot air. In they end they just grasp and straws and make themselves a nice little bed of political hay to lay down in. The bombers were Muslim. That's all you need to know.

Other than Ned's disturbing innuendo about jihadist pigs who are bleeding us dry, you aren't seeing much in the line of suggestions from our resident fringe lunatics. Do they want to bomb Chechnya? Start rounding up Muslim Americans? Bomb Iran? Put armed guards on every street corner?

No, I suspect they just want to crow a bit. Guns are good, liberals and Muslims are bad, Obama didn't get his background check bill through the Senate (and who cares? It was DOA in the House anyway). Politics is more like a sporting event than real life for them. They just scored a touchdown and followed it up with a goal line stand. They're cheering.

I'm OK with that. They're still fools.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Leroy Gates » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:10 pm

Do you people keep a fire extinguisher in the house or does that require an imagination?
Leroy Gates
Forum Addict

Postby alpuz » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:22 pm

Yes I do. What's your point, Leroy?
alpuz

Postby Leroy Gates » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:34 am

Why do you have a fire extinguisher? Don't you have a fire department in your town?
Leroy Gates
Forum Addict

Postby pjbogart » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:00 am

Take it to the gun thread, Leroy. Armed citizens wouldn't have prevented these two guys from dropping backpacks at the finish line of the Boston Marathon, and even if citizens ordinarily walked around with loaded AR-15's, they probably wouldn't feel the need to do so at the Boston Marathon.

I'm not sure if you enjoy living in constant fear or just want to make sure everyone else lives in constant fear, but most of us just go about our daily lives buying groceries, going to the zoo or sitting around watching TV. When I buy gas I'm not sizing up everyone within 100 yards of me to decide if they're a dangerous criminal.

I suspect it all has to do with psychological projection. You're angry and full of hate so you assume that everyone around you is also angry and full of hate. But they aren't. Of the 300+ million people in the United States, only two of them dropped a bomb last Monday. I"m not going to spend my life looking over my shoulder on the .0001% chance that there's a terrorist in my midst.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madcity Expat » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:10 am

Leroy Gates wrote:Yup, they can spot an insult a mile away but can't imagine a single scenario where a gun might be useful. Like maybe instead of hiding in the boat the Jihadist decides to come in the house and play with your children. And what are you going to do? Throw a book at him? But that would be too big a stretch, unimaginable, a fantasy.

Wow, are you thick. (Wasting my breath again) Precisely none of my posts were about the efficacy of guns or gun control.
Madcity Expat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madcity Expat » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:18 am

snoqueen wrote:Don't feel bad about talking back to the trolls, Expat. In my opinion, if no one does it this becomes their forum.

Thanks, sno. I usually don't bother to engage the rolls. Heck most of the time I'm just a lurker. But the cheap political score-keeping got under my skin this time. I guess I hoped that this was a serious enough event that we might set that aside for a couple of days. Naive of me, apparently.

snoqueen wrote:Perhaps you, as I do, wish the troll faction would explain how at any point anybody in Boston would have been safer with a gun in the house or in their car during this event.

That's the thing - on another occasion I might be interested in that debate, but I just think that it was beside the point this week.
Madcity Expat
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Headlines