MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, August 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 62.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

The Fox News media messaging system at work

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

The Fox News media messaging system at work

Postby jjoyce » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:08 am

Some local numbskulls apparently uninterested in retaining any credibility were retweeting the NY Post's reports about the "Saudi national" in custody on Monday. It should have been clear to anyone with a modicum of media fluency that anything put out by the Murdoch machine in the hours following a tragedy needs to be viewed with heightened skepticism.

This New Yorker item explains why:
http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/c ... n-man.html

The "national" wasn't in custody, of course, but was in the hospital, having been wounded in the blast. Here's how Fox responded, despite a lack of any facts at all:

“There must be enough evidence to keep him there,” Andrew Napolitano said on “Fox and Friends”—“there” being the hospital. “They must be learning information which is of a suspicious nature,” Steve Doocy interjected. “If he was clearly innocent, would they have been able to search his house?” Napolitano thought that a judge would take any reason at a moment like this, but there had to be “something”—maybe he appeared “deceitful.” As Mediaite pointed out, Megyn Kelly put a slight break on it (as she has been known to do) by asking if there might have been some “racial profiling,” but then, after a round of speculation about his visa (Napolitano: “Was he a real student, or was that a front?”), she asked, “What’s the story on his ability to lawyer up?”

Media Matters asks an interesting question.

But in terms of journalism and ethics and common sense, the Post's performance does make you wonder how a news organization, and even one owned by Rupert Murdoch, manages to get a story that wrong?

But of course it's left to the Onion to actually call the clown a clown.

All I cared about in the moment was giving our readers a vague, erroneous conception of what was happening on the ground while also beating our competitors to the punch with a more sensationalistic story featuring a drastically higher body count.

Why? Because in the midst of such an immense tragedy, that’s what truly mattered. And that’s the kind of reporting the New York Post strives for each and every day.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Re: The Fox News media messaging system at work

Postby green union terrace chair » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:52 pm

Well, "Fox and Friends" deserves even less credibility. That show is the equivalent to the comments section on any other news story.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:24 pm

Are you "outraged" that CNN reported that a suspect was in custody when that wasn't the case? That Salon hopes the perp would be "white"?

I didn't think so.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby cloudy » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:48 pm

Yes, CNN has again demonstrated its incompetence, no need for outrage there. And Sirota is on the money in his article on Salon and his take down of Breitbart clown Ben Shapiro.
cloudy
Forum Addict

Postby jjoyce » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:48 pm

I neither watch CNN nor read Salon. If I relied on either for the news or thought-provoking commentary, I might be disappointed, irked, pissed, piqued, annoyed, irritated. But I can't imagine it rising to the level of outrage. Cable being cable, etc.

Suggesting that the post above expresses anything close outrage seems like a stretch. Or maybe projection.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:45 pm

I typically surf MSNBC, Fox and CNN during the daily cycle. Today, CNN reported that 2 separate sources (one state and one national) were confirming an arrest. MSNBC was not confirming this report. Fox was confirming it AND claiming that a Fox affiliate had provided some of the video footage that ID'd the perp.
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Headlines