MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, December 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 31.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Boston conspiracy theories

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Re: Boston conspiracy theories

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:18 am

Not sure how it is legally written, but basically an enemy combatant is anyone who the President wants to see killed and/or imprisoned.

Is that REALLY the basic definition or are you just making shit up? Making shit up doesn't really add to the conversation I'd hate to waste good forum space on snarky nonsense.

You guys who voted (twice) to elect Mr. Obama must feel betrayed, huh?

Disappointing yes, betrayed? eh not really. I'm sure if Romney would have been elected he would have done 100% of what you voted for. I'm sure of that not because he would have done that but because a spineless weasel like you has no real positions and would have swallowed whatever load he gave you in the name of sticking it to liberals. But as a liberal I'm allowed to disagree with the democratic party and the president.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:25 am

fisticuffs wrote:
Are you against the War on Drugs Henry, or do you support our current President's stance of increasing and expanding it?

Link?

This would be a good place to start. And maybe there should be a different thread started if you wish to delve further.

fisticuffs wrote:
Not sure how it is legally written, but basically an enemy combatant is anyone who the President wants to see killed and/or imprisoned.

Is that REALLY the basic definition or are you just making shit up?

From what I understand, the President has to sign off on labeling someone an enemy combatant and there is no "checks/balances" on that decision.

(And no, I ain't just slamming Obama about this. I was also complaining when Bush did the same thing.)
penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:29 am

Hey moderate Meade, was Timothy McVeigh an enemy combatant? If not, why? He was an enemy of the state, was he not?

McVeigh, a militia movement sympathizer and Persian Gulf War veteran, sought revenge against the federal government

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timothy_McVeigh

Wasn't Bin Laden seeking revenge as well?

I'll await your thoughtful and unbiased response.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:40 am

Stebben84 wrote:was Timothy McVeigh an enemy combatant

Officially, he wasn't. In my opinion, he was.
Stebben84 wrote:Wasn't Bin Laden seeking revenge as well?.
Yes. Why, is revenge a defining feature of enemy combat?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:51 am

Meade wrote:Hey, remember the Symbionese Liberation Army? Now those cats were some enemy combatants, were they not?

Nope, they were criminals.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:55 am

Revenge isn't a defining feature. I was just comparing a domestic terrorist to a foreign one who was considered and enemy combatant.

At what point is someone not an enemy combatant is the question I'm trying to get at.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:56 am

In practical terms, it doesn't seem to matter whether or not someone is officially recognized as an "enemy combatant". Besides, Obama, right after taking office in 2009, officially dropped the term.

Here is the more important question: Are YOU an enemy combatant? Not of the United States. Of Islam. Don't you think the Tsarnaev brothers and their fellow jihadists believe you are? They believe you are not an innocent bystander. And that is what allowed them to cooly blow up your compatriot enemy combatants on the streets of Boston last week. You are either with (their brand of) Islam or you are against their brand of Islam. If you are not with their brand of Islam, you are an enemy and they are therefore justified in murdering you, your children, your fellow Americans, Jews, gays, capitalists, lawn-mowing materialistic liberals...
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:00 pm

Here is the more important question: Are YOU an enemy combatant? Not of the United States. Of Islam. Don't you think the Tsarnaev brothers and their fellow jihadists believe you are? They believe you are not an innocent bystander. And that is what allowed them to cooly blow up your compatriot enemy combatants on the streets of Boston last week. You are either with (their brand of) Islam or you are against their brand of Islam. If you are not with their brand of Islam, you are an enemy and they are therefore justified in murdering you, your children, your fellow Americans, Jews, gays, capitalists, lawn-mowing materialistic liberals...

Certainly not. I don't think their definition should influence ours at all.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:03 pm

"Because the Tsaernaev brothers think so" is hardly a good reason for public policy.

Incidentally, I can't figure out what is worse: Meade copying ideas and wording from other people, or Meade trying to think for himself.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:07 pm

Stebben84 wrote:At what point is someone not an enemy combatant is the question I'm trying to get at.

Haven't you learned anything ?

* Asking citizens to stay in their homes under exigent circumstances is the worst violation of civil rights since the Japanese internment camps

* As Moses hath written in the Second Amendment , felons and crazy people are allowed to stockpile any weapons they want, and anyone who says otherwise is a fascist.

* Dark-skinned males and Muslims who are suspected of crimes, or who have a passing resemblance to someone who might be suspected of a crime, are enemy combatants, and they should be sent to Gitmo for the rest of their miserable lives where we can torture them and desecrate their religious books.

* Anyone who supports the preceding policy is a patriotic American, unless they are Obama, who is a fascist.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:07 pm

Meade wrote:Here is the more important question: Are YOU an enemy combatant?

Meade wrote: In fact, show me a comment of mine that was "off-topic" and I will remove it myself.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:12 pm

snoqueen wrote:"Because the Tsaernaev brothers think so" is hardly a good reason for public policy.

I couldn't agree with you more, snoqueen.

Now why do you think the Tsaernaev brothers cooly blew up your compatriots in Boston last week?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stella_Guru » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:26 pm

Meade wrote:
snoqueen wrote:"Because the Tsaernaev brothers think so" is hardly a good reason for public policy.

I couldn't agree with you more, snoqueen.

Now why do you think the Tsaernaev brothers cooly blew up your compatriots in Boston last week?

We don't know yet. But they are Moozelems so they are terrorists.
Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:28 pm

They are terrorists because they committed a terrorist act. That we know. Why were they able to be so cool about it? Serious question.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:30 pm

Meade wrote:They are terrorists because they committed a terrorist act. That we know.

Yet you said that McVeigh wasn't.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Headlines