MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, October 31, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 33.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Boston conspiracy theories

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Re: Boston conspiracy theories

Postby Meade » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:32 pm

Hen, are you high again? Where did I ever say McVeigh was not a terrorist?

Timothy McVeigh was a terrorist. He just wasn't the terrorist who you were hoping was the terrorist who set off the bombs in Boston last week. The terrorists last week, to your disappointment, weren't affiliated with any right wing organizations, Teapers, or white supremacists. They're part of a civil war within Islam for control of Islam. Timothy McVeigh hated the U.S. government. To him, the Americans he killed were collateral damage. His target was the government.

To the Tsarnaev brothers and their ideological brothers in arms, you and the people in Boston were/are not just collateral damage but enemy combatants.
Last edited by Meade on Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:37 pm

Meade wrote:They are terrorists because they committed a terrorist act. That we know. Why were they able to be so cool about it? Serious question.

Because they were emotionally disconnected individuals, most likely for reasons having nothing to do with jihad or islam. They shared much more in common with Newtown Adam than they did with bin Laden.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:39 pm

Meade wrote: Where did I ever say McVeigh was not a terrorist?

I guess you forgot this exchange from the Boston boming thread:
Meade wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:Timothy McVeigh was also a U.S. citizen and committed his terroristic attack (directly against the U.S. government) on U.S. soil, but was tried, convicted and executed according to civilian law, as the Constitution demands.

Was it known that McVeigh was a terrorist at the time of his arrest?

Why ask that question, especially since you now say that a terrorist is someone who commits a terroristic act?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:44 pm

I see. You are high, aren't you, Hen?
Last edited by Meade on Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:45 pm

Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:55 pm

DCB wrote:Asking citizens to stay in their homes under exigent circumstances is the worst violation of civil rights since the Japanese internment camps

Fuck off, troll.

Seriously...your entire post, not just the strawman you made about me...is a perfect example of what is wrong with our country today. Assholes on both the left and the right love to sling this kind of shit rather than be honest in their discussions...and it's making everything stink.
penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:09 pm

penquin wrote:Seriously...your entire post, not just the strawman you made about me...is a perfect example of what is wrong with our country today

I'm not the one who made the ridiculous comparison with the Japanese internment. But it is a pretty good example of what is wrong with our country today.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:15 pm

Meade wrote:I see. You are high, aren't you, Hen?

Again:
Meade wrote: In fact, show me a comment of mine that was "off-topic" and I will remove it myself.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:24 pm

DCB wrote:I'm not the one who made the ridiculous comparison with the Japanese internment.

Since you beleive my comment was "ridiculous", you choose to blatantly lie about what was actually said?

Sure sounds like a chump move to me...
penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:26 pm

penquin wrote:
DCB wrote:I'm not the one who made the ridiculous comparison with the Japanese internment.

Since you beleive my comment was "ridiculous", you choose to blatantly lie about what was actually said?

I didn't lie. I thought it was obvious that my comments were just hyperbole, but let me clarify.

In this post I quoted your statement word for word, and responded seriously to what you said, even though the context was indeed "ridiculous".

In this post, I just made a facetious and indirect reference to your comment, but didn't quote you directly. That post was mocking what I saw as the inconsistencies and even incoherent view of civil rights coming from conservatives generally (but not you, specifically, per se, as it were).

My "serious" post is in the "second amendment" thread, which is a wide-ranging discussion of civil rights (much of which is stupid, but has moments of lucidity). As you no doubt recall, I said we should question the actions taken by the police in Boston. I think it would be healthy to have that debate, even if on balance we decide that (in this case) it was the right course of action. But we should have that debate without making outrageous and unfounded comparisons to other historical events. And please, no more comparisons to mid-20th century Europe, even in jest. My liver can't handle it.

My "mocking" post is in this "conspiracy" thread, in which anonymous, ignorant forons speculate about shit. I found it really hard to take anything here seriously, hence the mocking. I admit to feeling dirty just posting in this troll-filled thread. But I was appalled at some of the reactions in the media and in public discussion.

In particular, the idea of "enemy combatant" seems to be nothing more than a loaded term which magically deprives random individuals of any civil rights. I don't see any reason why Dzhokhar Tsarnaev (accused of killing three people and injuring many others) should be treated legally any differently than James Holmes (accused of killing 12 people and injuring many others).
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Leroy Gates » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:39 pm

wack wack wrote:
Meade wrote:They are terrorists because they committed a terrorist act. That we know. Why were they able to be so cool about it? Serious question.

Because they were emotionally disconnected individuals, most likely for reasons having nothing to do with jihad or islam. They shared much more in common with Newtown Adam than they did with bin Laden.

There Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chechens
"As is now traditional in these stories, we’re now being told that the Brothers Tsarnaev are merely the latest card-carrying members of Local 473 of the Amalgamated Union of Lone Wolves. No broader pattern can be discerned, or should be discerned. All jihad is local. Nobody could have seen this coming:"

"If you’ve been out of the country for 183 days (combined) in any one calendar year, that’s grounds for denying citizenship alone. But apparently nobody noticed that. So before the bureaucracy congratulates itself any further on not letting Tamerlan “fall through the cracks”, it’s worth considering what that means. Having interviewed him, did they just stick the paperwork in the database or did they put even the most basic kind of follow-up Internet search on him? The sort whereby the creation of his “Terrorist” YouTube playlist would have come to the attention of the Feds? And, if it did, was it then discounted on the grounds that all kinds of harmless types dig this terrorist stuff and it doesn’t mean they’re gonna go full Jihad Boy on you? Did they simply conclude, as they did with Major Hasan’s extensive e-mail correspondence with Ayman Awlaki, that it’s merely “consistent with his research interests“?

It is consistent with his research interests. That’s the problem. The fact that the world’s most lavishly funded intelligence bureaucracy can’t identify it as such is an even bigger problem."
http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/346252/there-aint-nobody-here-us-chechens
Leroy Gates
Forum Addict

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:43 pm

Leroy. Do you ever think for yourself or just copy and paste right wing propaganda?
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Headlines