MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, November 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 28.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

"RADICAL Islam"

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Re: "RADICAL Islam"

Postby Meade » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:26 pm

From the article I linked to:
An official statement released by the Islamic Society on Saturday said that while the suspects were known to mosque members, no one was able to predict or prevent the acts the brothers have been accused of.

Grief for the victims and their families and prayers for the recovery of the injured will be the continued focus of the center, the statement said. The center also pledged to leave “no stone uncovered in finding any other suspects connected to the bombs.”

The Islamic Society of Boston Cultural Center does not strike me as "radical".
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:42 am

I seem to recall "radical" as a technical political term, at the opposite end of the political spectrum from "reactionary." Well actually not end, as I remember the political spectrum drawn on a circle, with radicals and reactionaries separated by both 360 degrees... and nothing at all.

In the political sense, extreme Muslims are more reactionary than radical, aren't they?
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:22 am

Getting back to the word "radical" and speaking of Paul Soglin, I found this NYT article from 1989 that discusses those very topics:
When Paul Soglin was elected Mayor here 16 years ago, he was branded a radical, a troublemaker and a threat to the social order. In Madison, that was not such a bad image.

In those days when Mr. Soglin and just about everyone else in Madison was protesting the Vietnam War, liberal was already a dreaded ''L'' word here, but for different reasons than in most places: it was considered too far to the right.

The streets of Madison are quiet now. The most important cause centers on lowering the legal drinking age from 21 to 19, not ending a war. And Madison has just elected a new Mayor: a 43-year-old former corporate lawyer who pledges to hold down taxes and concentrate on city services. His name is Paul Soglin.

'In some ways, [the label, "radical"] fit then,'' he said in a recent interview. ''In some ways, it still fits.''

''The issues have changed. I've changed. But my values haven't changed.''

So that was 1989 - before anything known as the "Global War on Terror", before Osama bin Laden or al-Qaeda became household words in America. Still, I'm surprised that so many Madison voters, in 1989 - after Bill Ayers and Bernardine Dohrn, the Weather Underground bombings, the Sterling Hall bombing - voted to elect a mayor who was apparently unabashed in referring to his own "radicalism".

Did you know that an aide to Mayor Soglin, in the early '70's, proposed naming a Madison street after Ho Chi Minh? I learned that from the NYT article. How would that be any different from, today, naming a city street after Saddam Hussein or Kim Jong-il?

Anyway, "Radical Islam". I wonder how many Madison voters in 2013 would be nonplussed by a proposal to name a city street "Tsarnaev Boulevard"?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:45 am

Interesting that you don't seem to see the difference between the Vietnam war and more current events. Or maybe I missed it when North Vietnam attacked New York City.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby other i » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:48 am

Would you expect similar dislike of naming a street Jefferson Davis Boulevard?
other i
Forum Addict

Postby Meade » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:03 am

gargantua wrote:Or maybe I missed it when North Vietnam attacked New York City.

They didn't. But their proxies did. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenwich_ ... _explosion
They also bombed the new York City Police Department headquarters in 1970, the U.S. Capitol building in 1971, and the Pentagon in 1972. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fugitive_Days

Studs Terkel called Ayers's book "a deeply moving elegy to all those young dreamers who tried to live decently in an indecent world."

I wonder how many Madisonians sympathize with radical Islam jihadists, the Tsarnaev brothers, et al., as being young dreamers who are trying to live decently in an indecent world.

Now, "radical" has to do with root, source, and basic. Its secondary meaning is: extreme, fundamental, and revolutionary.

When Soglin said his radical values haven't changed, he meant, by radical, extreme, fundamental, and revolutionary, right? - same as we understand the use of the word in "radical Islam" -- extreme, fundamental, revolutionary.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:33 am

Why in the world would you live in such a city full of such degeneracy? Move away while you're able, before the rest of the state sets up border crossings and you can't leave.

You have been warned.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:38 am

Meade, get with the times. The hip thing to be frightened of these days is "radical Christians."
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:41 am

snoqueen wrote:Why in the world would you live in such a city full of such degeneracy? Move away while you're able, before the rest of the state sets up border crossings and you can't leave.

You have been warned.

Its kind of a waste of time arguing with these latte-drinking liberal elitists who only read the NY Times.(seriously, that was where you learned about the Ho Chi Mihn trail?)
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:56 am

No, I learned about that from Ho Chi Minh....

Let's see how long it takes Meade to figure out where Ho Chi Minh trail was.

Hint: It's nowhere near Tesla Trail, otherwise known as Telsa Trail.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:23 pm

Getting back to radical Islam, it is a fact that a disproportionate number of terrorists are Muslim, right?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:13 pm

Seems the Christian Terrorist in Milwaukee killed more people than the Islamists in Boston.

How about the KKK in America?

How about the Inquisition?

How about the Crusades?

Maybe there is a correlation between unrest in a society and the potential for citizens to become "Radicalized".
HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:24 pm

Dude, stop being a fool.
Meade wrote:ps, thanks again for letting me live in your heads rent-free.
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Headlines