MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, December 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 34.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Good thing I'm white.

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Good thing I'm white.

Postby Remember_Me » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:07 pm

Especially here in good ol' Wiskkkonsin.

A study released a few days ago by researchers at UW-Milwaukee shows that Wisconsin, long known to be among the worst in racial disparities in the criminal justice system, is in fact the worst — by a long shot.

Using 2010 census data, the study shows that 12.8 percent of the state's African-American men are now behind bars in state prison or local jails, twice the national average of 6.7 percent.

Wisconsin's rate far exceeds the 9.7-percent incarceration rate for African-American men in Oklahoma, which come in at No. 2 on the list. (It's interesting to note that at 2.1 percent, Oklahoma also has the highest rate of incarcerating white men.)

According to the report, one in eight black men in Wisconsin is now behind bars — a staggering statistic, especially given that the rate for white men is 1.24 percent, or 1 in 81 men — almost identical to the national average.

The report shows that Wisconsin also leads the nation in the rate of locking up Native American men, 7.6 percent, just ahead of South Dakota, where 7.3 percent of Native American men are behind bars.

Read more...
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Good thing I'm white.

Postby Shorty » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:43 am

My supervisor is African-American and earns more money than me but has less education. So in my daily work experience things don't seem so bad for African-Americans here.

I've always found the African-American term confusing. Let's say a black person from Haiti comes here to attend UW. When he fills out forms is his race African-American or Black? Seems like he is Black. But if he graduates here and becomes a US citizen does his race then change to African-American, Haitian-American, or is he still Black?

If Black people are African-American and Asians living here are Asian-Americans, should White people be called Euro-Americans? Hispanics be called Spanish-Americans?
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dairylander » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:04 am

Shorty wrote:My supervisor is African-American and earns more money than me but has less education. So in my daily work experience things don't seem so bad for African-Americans here.

Words fail me.
Dairylander
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:27 am

Dairylander wrote:
Shorty wrote:My supervisor is African-American and earns more money than me but has less education. So in my daily work experience things don't seem so bad for African-Americans here.

Words fail me.

I have a few. So Shorty, are you saying those prison statistics are just numbers on a page somewhere and your daily work experience is a rebuttal of them? And what we really should be talking about is which words we should use to describe certain ethnicities?
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Good thing no one is really "white"

Postby Meade » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:56 am

"The way to stop discrimination on the basis of race is to stop discriminating on the basis of race."
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:33 am

Is it possible, perhaps, that the disproportionate numbers of minorities in the Wisconsin prison system might be at least partly a result of racial discrimination? That's the point of the thread. I know it should be obvious, but given a couple of earlier posts, it appears that some need to have the dots connected for them.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:17 pm

Shorty wrote:My supervisor is African-American and earns more money than me but has less education.

Did it ever occur to you that maybe he just works harder than you do?
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:19 pm

More information from the linked article:

So how did Wisconsin gain this dubious distinction? The report cites a number of factors: the inability of black men convicted of crimes to obtain driver's licenses, to find work, and to avoid being re-arrested for probation violations.

And of course there's the war on drugs, which disproportionately hit minority communities:

"The incarceration levels in the 2003-2008 period are nearly four times those seen in 1990 before drug law changes, truth-in-sentencing, mandatory sentences, and three-strikes laws were broadly imposed. Even with a recent decline in incarceration levels, in 2010 Wisconsin still showed the highest incarceration rate for African-Americans in the U.S.," the report says.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:49 pm

Wouldn't all of those issues affect Black men in other States too?

Mandatory sentencing and the War on Drugs aren't peculiar to Wisconsin.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:12 pm

The Wisconsin Legislaure is considering criminalizing first time DUI (we are the only state that doesn't). Wisconsin is number one in drunk driving, and if the proposed legislation is uniformly enforced maybe that will equalize the incarceration rate. But it will be costly to do so.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:05 pm

Remember_Me wrote:Especially here in good ol' Wiskkkonsin.

Worst State for Incarceration of African American Men: Wisconsin
Best State for incarceration of African American Men convicted of committing crimes: Wisconsin

% of African American Males (ages 18-64) Incarcerated in State and Local Adult Correctional Facilities
Wisconsin: ---12.8%
Illinois: -------6.8%
DC: ---------3.2%
Hawaii: ---------1.8%

Crime Rate by State, 2011
(rate per 100,000 inhabitants):
-------------murder-----rape------robbery-----assault
Wisconsin------2.4-------20.4-----78.2----------135.9
Illinois --------5.6-------28.8-----157.4---------237.5
DC ----------17.5-------28.0-----662.3---------494.3
Hawaii--------1.2-------31.6-------75.8--------187.6
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:49 pm

Gun-related violence and murders are concentrated among blacks and Latinos in big cities. Murders with guns are the No. 1 cause of death for African-American men between the ages of 15 and 34. But talking about race in the context of guns would also mean taking on a subject that can't be addressed by passing a law: the family-breakdown issues that lead too many minority children to find social status and power in guns.

The statistics are staggering. In 2009, for example, the Centers for Disease Control reported that 54% of all murders committed, overwhelmingly with guns, are murders of black people. Black people are about 13% of the population.

The Justice Department reports that between 1980 and 2008, "blacks were six times more likely than whites to be homicide victims and seven times more likely than whites to commit homicide."

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 00710.html
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MPMay » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:12 pm

Wisconsin has a mass incarceration problem (we incarcerate at twice the level of Minnesota, a state of similar size, and we spend $500 million more per year on incarceration than Minnesota) and it has an African American incarceration problem (6% of the state population is Black but 50% of its prison inmates are Black) and it is a religious and ethical problem that this State must face.

This issue is not only a practical one, it is a moral one. The Judeo-Christian tradition teaches us that we must balance justice with mercy, fairness with forgiveness. Wisconsin has failed to do so. Our state has become in thrall to the false rhetoric of "getting tough on crime" and the false economic development rhetoric of "building prisons for jobs".

I have become very supportive of the faith-based 11x15 campaign (11,000 prisoners by 2015), urging our state to bring the prison population in line with Minnesota's. If you are interested in joining this ethical movement, visit the website at:

http://www.prayforjusticeinwi.org

I think this is a terrible scourge on our state that affects us socially, ethically and economically. To think we are wasting $500 million a year for a policy that is simply wrong. Not the Wisconsin I grew up with.

This really bugs me.
MPMay
Forum Addict

Postby pjbogart » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:47 pm

An excellent way to deal with the epidemic of violence among young Black men is to defund Head Start, defund public schools, make guns easier to purchase and outlaw affirmative action.

The problem is that these slackers have it too easy. It's high time that they start working for their money, like Meade.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:31 am

MPMay wrote:http://www.prayforjusticeinwi.org

This really bugs me.

Why should I attend your rallies or donate?

Can't I just say a quick prayer before I pee and go to bed and problem solved?
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Headlines