MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, December 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 35.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Art Teachers Replace Security Guards

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Art Teachers Replace Security Guards

Postby Stebben84 » Thu May 02, 2013 12:34 pm

When I went to school (k-12), I barely remember any security officers in my school. I knew there was one in high school(he was absolutely pointless), but if the other schools had them, their presence was minimal at best. There were no issues with backpacks, no metal detectors and generally a pretty safe environment next to some bullies.

Now, in those same schools and many across the country, there are often armed security, metal detectors, and a whole host of other measures. What gives? Are kids getting more violent. Is it just going to keep getting worse.

Well, I saw this story and it really struck me that with just a little outside thinking, you can change things in a positive way.

Principal fires security guards to hire art teachers — and transforms elementary school

In a school notorious for its lack of discipline, where backpacks were prohibited for fear the students would use them to carry weapons, Bott’s bold decision to replace the security guards with art teachers was met with skepticism by those who also questioned why he would choose to lead the troubled school. ...
But now, three years later, the school is almost unrecognizable. Brightly colored paintings, essays of achievement, and motivational posters line the halls. The dance studio has been resurrected, along with the band room, and an artists’ studio.

It's a pretty amazing story in my opinion. I'm not saying this is the way to transform every school, but in an age where the first thing to get cut is the arts, it's refreshing to see that people can prove the naysayers wrong.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Art Teachers Replace Security Guards

Postby pjbogart » Thu May 02, 2013 11:24 pm

Interesting link, Stebben, but it's just more of the same from Brian Williams and the lame stream media. Notice that they never specifically stated whether the art teachers were packing heat. So they got rid of a few armed guards and replaced them with a platoon of armed art teachers. More guns, safer schools.

And even if the art teachers aren't armed (and I suspect they are), this one instance where they kept kids safe without using guns (so far) doesn't tell us much about the overall success of such experiments. I bet some liberal Islamofascist terrorist is plotting to attack that school even as we speak, now that he knows that they don't have guns.

The point is, guns are fucking awesome and if you don't have at least ten of them then you aren't a real American. Teaching kids to be creative and do sissy shit like drawing and painting won't prepare them for the liberal Islamofascist hordes that are coming to institute Sharia Law in the United States. I guess the kids won't need fingerpaint when they're lying in pools of their own blood.

And besides, they have an armed guard at Baraboo High and they didn't have a single mass shooting today. They had art classes at Sandy Hook Elementary and we all know what happened there. Do the math. Guns in school, zero deaths. Art classes without guns, 26 dead.

You Obummer voters sure are stupid libtards. Maybe when you grow up and quit being a queer you'll get smarter and vote like smarter people instead of voting like an illegal Mexican or a person on welfare.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Galoot » Fri May 03, 2013 9:54 am

Really feeling inspired today, aren't ya Peej? That was great!
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri May 03, 2013 10:47 am

How many security guards were let go in order to hire an art teacher? I assume teachers in Massachusetts are paid quite a bit more than rent-a-cops (or at least I hope so).
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri May 03, 2013 10:55 am

Henry Vilas wrote:How many security guards were let go in order to hire an art teacher?

From the article it say they hired "teachers" as well as invested the money taken away from security infrastructure into the arts. This included revitalizing the art, dance, and music studies. It wasn't just about one teacher, but an entire program and teaching philosophy.

If people couldn't guess, I am a huge proponent of arts education from kindergarten on.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Fri May 03, 2013 11:59 am

Another example of the pen being mightier than the sword.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri May 03, 2013 1:08 pm

pjbogart wrote:...
The point is, guns are fucking awesome and if you don't have at least ten of them then you aren't a real American....
And besides, they have an armed guard at Baraboo High and they didn't have a single mass shooting today. They had art classes at Sandy Hook Elementary and we all know what happened there. Do the math. ... Maybe when you grow up and quit being a queer you'll get smarter and vote like smarter people instead of voting like an illegal Mexican or a person on welfare.

Pj bowls another 300 game.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Headlines