MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, November 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 15.0° F  Light Snow Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Capitol arrests

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Re: Capitol arrests

Postby Zoti Bemba » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:48 pm

Or how about this bit of sage advice?

The form asks if you have read the State Facilities Access Policy. If you read any of it, skip to Page 19 and answer yes.

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain -- you don't want to know the details. Just sign... here!

Especially courageous since Mr. Blaska is urging others to take on the responsibility (and liability) of a permit without being fully aware of what they are signing. Because apparently once (or was it twice?) was enough for him.

From the way he's pooh-poohed the whole expense argument I frankly was expecting Blaska to go in the opposite direction: I figured he would take out a permit for the Solidarity Singalong just to show what an adult he is (and make the Singers into figurative children by comparison), and to prove how wrong the naysayers are about Scott Walker's DOA charging excessive damage or overtime costs for... well, anything they can think of. Guess I read that one wrong.
Zoti Bemba
Forum Addict

Postby rabble » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:29 pm

Zoti Bemba wrote:Especially courageous since Mr. Blaska is urging others to take on the responsibility (and liability) of a permit without being fully aware of what they are signing. Because apparently once (or was it twice?) was enough for him.

I'm not sure about the strategy. I guess I understand the "Let's all take turns fucking with those guys" ploy, but what's his plan if nobody takes him up on it? Hope for short attention spans?
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:17 pm

That language sounds like boilerplate lifted from some corporate hotel chain's contract that has a purpose of protecting them from the actions of some crazy gun nuts that might be attracted to some gun show.

It is designed to try to make sure the state won't be responsible if some damage or injury occurs, for example, from someone doing a dipshit thing like when a drunk and future Republican Congressman rode a horse up the Capitol steps in Pierre, South Dakota.

But we're talking about a sing-a-long here. If the event is singing, and people are doing something other than singing, then they are not part of the event, and there is no liability. If the event involves skateboarding down the hallways, then I suppose there could be liability.
Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:31 am

Donald wrote:It is designed to try to make sure the state won't be responsible if some damage or injury occurs...

Not needed, as the state is already covered by the doctrine of sovereign immunity.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:32 am

Maybe the boilerplate wouldn't apply under rational conditions, but given the vengeful and irrational Walker administration I'd expect them to take it to the max and go after the person who signed the contract for every little thing that happened the entire time the singers were in the building. They'd file a laundry list of charges, do procedural stuff, they'd appeal over and over, and the poor signer would spend hundreds of thousands responding to nonsense for years. I sure wouldn't sign that thing, if I were a demonstrator. It's a trap.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Headlines