MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, October 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 49.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

A comparison (another gun thread)

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Re: A comparison (another gun thread)

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:10 pm

jman111 wrote:I'm also curious about this supposed "clip" modification that can be done "without much skill or finesse." How does one significantly increase the capacity of a magazine?

DMan is best to answer, but what I can say is that Lanza DID NOT modify his clip as Sandi stated. He looked into it, but:

He unleashed 154 rounds at the school with a Bushmaster .223-caliber

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/a ... z2gOfUIgXN

No where in the article does it say he ACTUALLY modified a gun.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:31 pm

jman111 wrote:And THEN you stated that hunters wouldn't give up their semi-autos.

Which isn't to say that hunters need "high capacity weaponry."

jman111 wrote:So, are you saying that hunters actually don't need these weapons but will, nevertheless, refuse to relinquish them?

Yes. They don't particularly need them, but would be foolish to relinquish them.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:39 pm

DCB wrote:
Dangerousman wrote:Coping with reality, as defined in what manner? ... Other than a few million similar questions that need to be answered, I think your suggestion has merit.

I'd like a professional opinion.
I am not a psychologist or a psychiatrist, but if it were up to me, hearing voices probably qualifies. Carrying a gun while cutting your lawn? I'm on the fence about that. (maybe hiding behind the fence).

Ok, hearing voices and you're out. Who's going to tell Moses?
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:47 pm

snoqueen wrote:But remember he wants guns not only for home and personal defense (though defining that is another matter). He wants to be able to take on the government for abuses he will define when he sees them.

I think that's the generally-unspoken reasoning behind having weapons with far more capacity than it takes to shoot a burglar.

I feel this is another of those things that's coded, so if you're a believer you get it but the rest of us just stand there and say why the hell would anybody want a thing like that in the house.

Then I'll direct this question to you, and to Henry. Why do the police have AR-15's? Is it to "take on the government" as Sno suggests... or is it to kill a lot of people quickly, as Henry suggests? Henry, can you tell us the last time American police have had to kill a lot of of people quickly?
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:48 pm

Dangerousman wrote:
DCB wrote:
Dangerousman wrote:Coping with reality, as defined in what manner? ... Other than a few million similar questions that need to be answered, I think your suggestion has merit.

I'd like a professional opinion.
I am not a psychologist or a psychiatrist, but if it were up to me, hearing voices probably qualifies. Carrying a gun while cutting your lawn? I'm on the fence about that. (maybe hiding behind the fence).

Ok, hearing voices and you're out. Who's going to tell Moses?

That's a moot point, because Moses was anti-gun. If he was a fan of concealed carry, this never would have happened.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:48 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
Dangerousman wrote:How about a little fire, Scarecrow? Nice strawman.

Of course hunters don't need "high capacity weaponry."

But hunters aren't the only people who have a use for a gun.

That is not my strawman. It was Sandi who thought hunters needed such weaponry. Take it up with her.

Better read it again Henry.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:50 pm

So, if it's been a while since the police have had to kill a lot of people quickly, then it stands to reason they'll never be in a situation where the criminals are well armed, and therefore, we need more guns.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:52 pm

jman111 wrote:I'm also curious about this supposed "clip" modification that can be done "without much skill or finesse." How does one significantly increase the capacity of a magazine?

***Note to Dman, Sandi's using gun terms ignorantly. Better put her in check!

Purists like to point out that there's a difference between a "clip" and a "magazine." Technically the discussion is about magazines, and more specifically, detachable magazines. How's that Jman?
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:00 pm

rabble wrote:So, if it's been a while since the police have had to kill a lot of people quickly, then it stands to reason they'll never be in a situation where the criminals are well armed, and therefore, we need more guns.

No, it stands to reason that Henry's mantra is wrong, and that guns like AR-15's serve to handle things other than to just kill a lot of people quickly.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:10 pm

Dangerousman wrote:Purists like to point out that there's a difference between a "clip" and a "magazine."

There's nothing purist about it. Even this downtown lib'ral pro-gun-control gun owner knows the difference.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:20 pm

Stebben84 wrote:

DMan is best to answer, but what I can say is that Lanza DID NOT modify his clip as Sandi stated. He looked into it, but:

He unleashed 154 rounds at the school with a Bushmaster .223-caliber

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/a ... z2gOfUIgXN

No where in the article does it say he ACTUALLY modified a gun.

To me the article suggests that he only inquired about modifying the gun from semi-automatic to full auto, but did nothing about it. As far as altering a magazine to hold more rounds, fagetaboutit! Not for an AR-15! For some pistol magazines you can buy little magazine extensions that will add 1 or 2 rounds of capacity, but that's it. For example, I put Pearce magazine extensions on a couple of magazines I had for my Glock 27. Usually those are put on magazines for very small guns, and not so much for the ability to hold an extra round or two, but it give you a better grip on a gun so small that you can only grip it with 2 fingers.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:23 pm

Dangerousman wrote:

Purists like to point out that there's a difference between a "clip" and a "magazine." Technically the discussion is about magazines, and more specifically, detachable magazines. How's that Jman?

OK, good. So now Sandi knows that clips are not magazines. Maybe she'd be willing to dicuss how easy it is to modify a detachable magazine in order to increase the capacity significantly, since she has referred to this process several times now.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:35 pm

Ducatista wrote:
Dangerousman wrote:Purists like to point out that there's a difference between a "clip" and a "magazine."

There's nothing purist about it. Even this downtown lib'ral pro-gun-control gun owner knows the difference.

Well in that regard you'd fit in well with a lot of the online gun enthusiasts who can't pass up an opportunity to correct someone who dares to use the word "clip" instead of "magazine." Historically however it's not so cut and dried. Over a century ago, when the Colt 1911 was announced as the new pistol of the US military, the official literature of the time referred to the gun's "clips." I don't consider it to be a serious transgression in most conversations, so I tend to be forgiving of the imprecise usage. Kind of like calling a tomato a "vegetable."

But if I gave you a pop quiz, I'd have to grade with more strictness.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:40 pm

Dangerousman wrote:But if I gave you a pop quiz, I'd have to grade with more strictness.

I just got a copy of that quiz, here's a sample question:

1. How often do you arm yourself when you mow your lawn?

a)Always
b)Always
c)Always
d)All of the above
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:42 pm

jman111 wrote:
Dangerousman wrote:

OK, good. So now Sandi knows that clips are not magazines. Maybe she'd be willing to dicuss how easy it is to modify a detachable magazine in order to increase the capacity significantly, since she has referred to this process several times now.

I suppose it could be done, but not "easily." Certainly not as easily as just buying a larger magazine, nor for that matter as easily as practicing to reload smoothly. Takes me about 1 second. Maybe 3 seconds with a revolver.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Headlines