MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Wednesday, August 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 83.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Philip Seymour Hoffman, dead at 46

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Re: Philip Seymour Hoffman, dead at 46

Postby Wino » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:29 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
Huckleby wrote:Does anybody know anyone who was able to use drugs as a regular part of their lives who didn't have problems?

We are still waiting for gozer's response.

I've never known a single person without problems, regardless of drug use.
Wino
Forum Addict

Postby gozer » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:34 pm

the body is deprived of something and it throws a hissy fit (though the opioid version is nowhere nearly as spectacular as the one for benzodiazepines, barbiturates, meprobamate, methaqualone, and alcohol) -- that sounds like a metabolic/endocrine disorder to me. it's when the moralisers and their allies get into it that much of the suffering is generated. the black market, depersonalising and fraudulent behaviour modification schemes, the involvement of law enforcement. and connected to the case in question: there is no such thing as "tough love" in any instance -- it is something that arseholes tell themselves to make themselves feel better about their arseholery.

the 100th anniversary of the harrison narcotic act is coming up -- that was pure moralising, junk science, racism, and anti-semitism at work.
gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:36 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
Huckleby wrote:Does anybody know anyone who was able to use drugs as a regular part of their lives who didn't have problems?

We are still waiting for gozer's response.

it was implicit in the johns hopkins and lottery winner responses.

plus, caffeine, tobacco, and alcohol are drugs.
gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:21 pm

gozer wrote:it was implicit in the johns hopkins and lottery winner responses
???

you dodged the question.

we're talking weekly or more use of cocaine, ecstacy, molly, heroin over long term.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:27 am

Huckleby wrote:
gozer wrote:it was implicit in the johns hopkins and lottery winner responses
???

you dodged the question.

we're talking weekly or more use of cocaine, ecstacy, molly, heroin over long term.

u mean like sigmund freud, otto von bismarck, charles darwin, cecil rhodes (not the most politically correct or nice fellow, but he did achieve what he set out to do), the aformentioned medical people, ben franklin . . . to be continued
gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:14 pm

ok, gozer, I see your point. Some famous and accomplished people have succeeded with drug habits. You might add Philip Seymour Hoffman to that list, I expect he was using during some periods of his distinguished career. Plenty of coke heads running wallstreet - but what are their lives like?

We can't really know much about Otto Von Bismark's personal life. (btw, he was first leader to propose universal health care.) My question is more directed at people you brushed elbows with in your own life. I have hundreds of drug use anecdotes in my head, mostly negative stories.

Here's a biased look at Freud's cocaine days:
http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2011/07/2 ... e-problem/
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:59 pm

I know several people who were users when drugs were readily available, relatively inexpensive, and legal consequences were unlikely. They held jobs and basically were functioning members of society.

They stopped, mostly because the consequences and prices rose high enough kill the fun part. Many of them trotted out the "I don't need that stuff no more, it was getting in my way, I feel so much better now, blah blah blah." Until we were alone and in some sort of altered state and then they'd admit it was just too costly and risky. If they could score a gram of coke a month without worrying about life in jail or emptying the bank account, they'd do it.

To me, that says they're still users who have taken a hiatus.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:18 pm

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Headlines