MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 26.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Ukraine

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Ukraine

Postby Huckleby » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:34 pm

I'm finally getting around to learning a bit about Ukraine. I listened to a guy who knows Russia, I often grit my teeth a bit when he is on TV because he is a bit of a Putin apologist, but he sounds right on Ukraine:
Stephen Cohen

The situation is hopeless if your hope is that Ukraine will turn away from Russia and join Europe. The more economically viable and densely populated regions of Ukraine are Russian speaking, so a division is unappealing. The West is not going to bankroll Ukraine, only Putin is willing to invest in their faltering economy.

No good is going to come of this revolution, sadly.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Ukraine

Postby Stella_Guru » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:24 pm

Reckless, incompetent, and immoral. Washington again backs right-wing extremists.
Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:29 pm

The Wash Post editorial is calling on Obama to move past "statements and phone calls", they want economic sanctions against Russia.

Ya, that's gonna work.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:35 pm

At least no one is recommending another charge of the light brigade. Even the normally hawkish members of Congress are strangely silent on Ukraine.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:45 pm

Stella_Guru wrote:Reckless, incompetent, and immoral. Washington again backs right-wing extremists.

It's true that a lot of the groups involved in the revolution are right-wing nuts. It's not exactly fair to state that the U.S. is backing them, in fact, the composition of the militias probably explains why the U.S. remains largely flummoxed and sidelined.

Obama has called on Russia not to intervene militarily. But really, Crimea is part of Russia for all practical purposes. Of course they are going to intervene.

Putins gov is a bunch of nogoodniks. But I doubt any Russian gov would act differently
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:45 pm

We should have boycotted the Russian Olympics again.
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:54 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:At least no one is recommending another charge of the light brigade. Even the normally hawkish members of Congress are strangely silent on Ukraine.

Actually taking on Russia militarily over Ukraine would be insane. So I'm kind of surprised some congressmen aren't advocating it.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stella_Guru » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:39 pm

Huckleby wrote:It's true that a lot of the groups involved in the revolution are right-wing nuts. It's not exactly fair to state that the U.S. is backing them, in fact, the composition of the militias probably explains why the U.S. remains largely flummoxed and sidelined.

Yes, the U.S. is not intentionally backing the right-wing nuts. Washington mis-calculated and lost control of their $5 billion coup to neo-nazi thugs, an unfortunate and dangerous result of interfering in the affairs of the Ukraine.
Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:50 pm

Vladimir, is that you?
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stella_Guru » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:31 pm

Huckleby wrote:Vladimir, is that you?

You stupid Americans have finally met your good students. They have learned their lessons well. What breaks my heart is the price the good people of the Ukraine will pay for your manipulations.
Last edited by Stella_Guru on Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:34 pm

Charles Krauthammer sees situation rather differently, although in a sense he agrees with you that the U.S. is to blame. He sees the situation as a response to Obama's weakness:
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/02 ... statement/
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:37 pm

Stella_Guru wrote: What breaks my heart is the price the good people of the Ukraine will pay for your manipulations.

Which Ukranians? Do you doubt that western Ukraine sincerely wants to be closer to Europe and out from under the Russian Bear's paw?
Who are the good people? The Ukranians are deeply divided. Are the pro-Putin Ukranians the good ones?
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stella_Guru » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:03 pm

Huckleby wrote:Who are the good people?

Those who understand what it means to be looted by the West, of course.
Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:31 pm

I hope nothing bad happens in the Ukraine. They seem like nice people. Their women on trip together are quite pretty. They send me nice emails.

https://www.triptogether.com/travellers/114105702/
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:12 pm

Stella_Guru wrote:Those who understand what it means to be looted by the West, of course.

There is nothing for the west to loot. They are an economic basket case, especially the pro-Western areas, looking for massive bailouts.

The looting has been done by their corrupt, Russian stooge government. Not sure the Russian ties have anything to do with the corruption.

The west had precious little to gain from this revolution.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Headlines