MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, September 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 73.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

No state worse than Wisconsin for black children

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Re: No state worse than Wisconsin for black children

Postby Donald » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:18 pm

I think there's a lot of complicated factors involved, and the solutions are not easy. It gets boiled down to "racism" on one side or "inappropriate behavior" on the other, but I have come to think we underestimate or fail to understand how income inequality can cause differences in nutrition, stress levels, family and community structure, and environment that affect brain development, attentiveness, emotional control, and executive function. Of course any factor can be present in a child's life without income inequality being a cause, but it is almost certain that a child growing up in a low income family is going to have more factors being present. Then add the nagging issue of being considered inferior or picked on because of race or class, and you have another stressor.
Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:35 pm

Mad Howler wrote:I do not have my head around how I might act to address this, other than to possess some ill defined guilt around perpetration of injustice that my ignorance has helped perpetuate.
MH

Not pointing at you specifically MH, but I wonder how much this is guilt has added to the problem. How often has the rush to fix "the problem" resulted in poorly thought out solutions, or attempting to fix symptoms rather then the real issues?

Back to the government numbers, it occurs to me that beyond race, the economic levels as well as the family education levels would be good to know. How does a black child from a well off family do in comparison to a poorer white child? My guess is race still is a bigger factor, though if you exchange wealth for an higher education level at home maybe not?
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:41 am

Francis Di Domizio wrote:
Mad Howler wrote:I do not have my head around how I might act to address this, other than to possess some ill defined guilt around perpetration of injustice that my ignorance has helped perpetuate.
MH

Not pointing at you specifically MH, but I wonder how much this is guilt has added to the problem.  How often has the rush to fix "the problem" resulted in poorly thought out solutions, or attempting to fix symptoms rather then the real issues?

Back to the government numbers, it occurs to me that beyond race, the economic levels  as well as the family education levels would be good to know.  How does a black child from a well off family do in comparison to a poorer white child?  My guess is race still is a bigger factor, though if you exchange wealth for an higher education level at home maybe not?

A couple of years ago I suggested to my in laws that wisconsinites have a bit of racist nature on board, they balked severely on this notion. Today they grudgingly accept the balk as nonsense.
Click through the numbers, as you may.
My thinking is that there is more clarity available.
Again, thank you dman for pressing this question.
I am learning to respect moments of confusion I experience as an opportunity to wait/seek/find comprehension. 
Perhaps, this makes no sense to some - but this strategy has helped me.
MH

p.s.-let us not forget Mr. Ivey's report that brought us here...
http://host.madison.com/ct/news/local/w ... 963f4.html
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ouroborus4 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:29 am

Donald wrote:I think there's a lot of complicated factors involved, and the solutions are not easy. It gets boiled down to "racism" on one side or "inappropriate behavior" on the other, but I have come to think we underestimate or fail to understand how income inequality can cause differences in nutrition, stress levels, family and community structure, and environment that affect brain development, attentiveness, emotional control, and executive function. Of course any factor can be present in a child's life without income inequality being a cause, but it is almost certain that a child growing up in a low income family is going to have more factors being present. Then add the nagging issue of being considered inferior or picked on because of race or class, and you have another stressor.

This is the best synopsis of the problem if you ask me. Not to make this partisan, but when I discuss this with my republican friends, they assume that everybody has the same ability for self improvement and success in the system, ignoring the fact that there are the socio-economic and race issues that arise as you point out. The question is how do we level the playing field so that everybody has and equal opportunity for success?
ouroborus4
Forum Addict

Postby peripat » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:29 am

And why, pray tell, should these no doubt brilliant theories affect only (or more substantially) teacher and child behavior in the state of Wisconsin?
peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:10 am

Donald wrote:I think there's a lot of complicated factors involved, and the solutions are not easy. It gets boiled down to "racism" on one side or "inappropriate behavior" on the other, but I have come to think we underestimate or fail to understand how income inequality can cause differences in nutrition, stress levels, family and community structure, and environment that affect brain development, attentiveness, emotional control, and executive function. Of course any factor can be present in a child's life without income inequality being a cause, but it is almost certain that a child growing up in a low income family is going to have more factors being present. Then add the nagging issue of being considered inferior or picked on because of race or class, and you have another stressor.

Donald,
I find everything you wrote agreeable, but who am I to say so.
I found this interview about another exchange motivating:
http://www.salon.com/2014/04/03/cancelc ... socialflow

Fascinating & odd, I think the lady has a point.
Ya just gotta pry at it.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Headlines