MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, September 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 73.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

AAAhnold for presinator?! NOOOOOOOOO!

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Who would make a better president?

The Terminator
8%
Batman and the Boy Wonder
8%
Yoda
85%
Rocky
No votes

Total votes : 26

AAAhnold for presinator?! NOOOOOOOOO!

Postby spacecase » Sun Nov 21, 2004 2:18 pm

You probably heard about this in the evening news. Out here in California, there are advertisements for a constitutional amendment to allow immigrants who are naturalized citizens to run for president!

Guess who's paying for them? CaliforniansForArnold, or something like that. I shit you not.

I am not anti-immigrant. I have immigrants in my family. Immigrants are people. However, this whole idea is SO WRONG.

There is no shortage of wealthy, white, power-hungry men who lust after the presidency in the U.S. We don't need to import them.

We should not take amending the constitution lightly.

Anything that makes it remotely possible that the TERMINATOR could be (excuse me while I throw up) president, IS WRONG.

I know it seems rediculous, so maybe some people aren't scared, but Dubya just got reelected. People are dumber than we thought.

Your thoughts?
spacecase
Forum Addict

Re: AAAhnold for presinator?! NOOOOOOOOO!

Postby pulsewidth modulation » Sun Nov 21, 2004 2:27 pm

spacecase wrote:Your thoughts?

low class america's obsession with pop figures is sickening.

i'm just waiting for the republican party of wisconsin to ask bret farve to run for an office after he retires.
pulsewidth modulation
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Daisy » Sun Nov 21, 2004 11:18 pm

I support the amendment. Arnold's too socially liberal to ever get the GOP nomination anyway, and I'd like to see Jennifer Granholm get a shot at it.
Daisy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby meowzamusic » Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:28 am

Isn't the government worried that some terrorist will enter the country, become a citizen and then be elected president? :shock:
meowzamusic
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:02 am

I'm not aware of any previous cases where constitutional amendments were addressed to specific individuals.

If we start down that road, I'd like to see the following enacted:
    Amendment XXVIII

Section 1. The honorary title of Grand Poohbah and Supreme Ruler of Everything shall be bestowed by Congress on one geeky but handsome engineer, between the ages of 38 and 39, currently residing on the near-west side of Madison, Wisconsin. Candidates for this office must be fluent in Fortran, Java, and C; must have reasonable proficiency in French and pidgin German; and must be an occasional denizen of the Isthmus Daily Page Forum.

Section 2. Benefits of this office shall include the right to jump to the head of the line at airports, a 20-hour work week, and a lifetime supply of beer. During trips more than one-quarter mile from his home, the officeholder shall be preceded by a company of dancing girls and bagpipers. The incumbent shall also have the power to veto bills passed by Congress, overturn Presidential executive orders, and consign DPF trolls to Guantanamo Bay.

Section 3. The Congress shall have the power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:36 am

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Entropy's Stagger » Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:17 pm

I drink a lot so sometimes I forget governmental facts, but I recall back when Arnold was elected Gov of CA, and I said to someone, "You watch, in 2008 they're gonna run him for president."

The person I said that too reminded me, "They can't. He's not a natural born American citizen."

"Oh, yeah," I said, a bit embarrassed by my mushbrain, "but they'll find a way around that when the time comes."

Perhaps I'm an Alky Medium?
Entropy's Stagger
Forum Addict

Postby Shorty » Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:34 pm

Yes that's the way Republicans work: if they don't like the rules, change them.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mike S. » Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:03 am

Heh, reminds me of a time I got into an argument with a "Dean campaign worker" about www.dean04.com, which didn't do anything but give an error message. He started on about how the name hadn't been advertised and nobody even looked at it, so I came up with a list of similar names including www.schwarzenegger2008.com and talked him into putting up a redirect.

Anyway, I see there's now a www.schwarzenegger2012.com comic (not much of a comic, really, but at least they tried) and a www.schwarzenegger2016.com held by domain name squatters... but 2020 and 2024 are still open, if you think they'll still have presidents.
Mike S.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby spacecase » Tue Nov 23, 2004 2:54 pm

meowzamusic wrote:Isn't the government worried that some terrorist will enter the country, become a citizen and then be elected president? :shock:

I know!

Of course, that would take years of planning and preparation, but there are some sick people out there.

You know what else doesn't make sense? The governator opposed legislation that would make it possible for illegals to get drivers' licenses. Now, I understand why people are opposed to that. I do. However, to have a driver's license in CA, a person has to have car insurance. So, at least then the illegal immigrants driving from their shacks to their jobs in the vineyards and orchards would be insured.

A few months ago I was walking down the street when I witnessed a traffic accident that involved two Mexican women who were in the U.S. illegally. The women looked terrified, and the other people involved were just shouting at them in English. I got involved because the women didn't speak English and I speak Spanish. The women had slowed down to avoid hitting a woman (Who seemed to be high on something, IMO) who had opened her door into traffic. The trucks behind the Mexicanas' car didn't slow down and ended up pushing their little car and breaking part of it off.

When the police arrived the Americans lied to the cops about what had happened. The Mexicanas didn't have insurance. They were illegal. I doubt that they even got to say goodbye to their husbands before they were deported. I have seen this happen before.

If they had had insurance, and they had been to blame, the other people would have been covered.

I guess that Aaaahnold only wants maybe immigrants from Europe to get to run for president. How can he phrase that ammendment just so? He also supported legislation to deny access to healthcare to illegals. But then, I guess it goes without saying that, immigrant or not, only wealthy people can run for president, obviously.

I digress, though. My main point: We don't need to import presidential candidates. It could even be dangerous. We shouldn't amend the constitution to do something that doesn't benefit the people of the U.S.
spacecase
Forum Addict

Postby spacecase » Tue Nov 23, 2004 3:01 pm

Entropy's Stagger wrote:I drink a lot so sometimes I forget governmental facts, but I recall back when Arnold was elected Gov of CA, and I said to someone, "You watch, in 2008 they're gonna run him for president."

The person I said that too reminded me, "They can't. He's not a natural born American citizen."

"Oh, yeah," I said, a bit embarrassed by my mushbrain, "but they'll find a way around that when the time comes."

Perhaps I'm an Alky Medium?

If you have anymore spooky revelations, keep us informed. Maybe I'll take up drinking, too.

Every time I think something is just too stupid to happen, it does. It's getting so that i'm afraid to joke about politics.

One good thing, though, I think. There are several really stupid looking Aaaahnold movies on TV for the holidays. I haven't seen any of them, but they look really dumb. Am I being naively hopeful when I try to belive that maybe that will make people think he's an idiot?*

*If I am in denial, and am only fooling myself, please don't tell me. I am not as scared this way.
spacecase
Forum Addict

Postby superman » Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:33 am

If, for some reason, Arnold did become president, I'm packing my bags and moving my ass to a new country. :roll:
superman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby sobriquet » Wed Nov 24, 2004 4:39 pm

The republicans probably have no intention of electing Arnold. Hell, some of these guys were the same people that had a problem with the fact that Kerry's wife was from Mozambique. If a foreign first lady makes them uncomfortable, they aren't seriously considering a foreign born president.

They are just trying to make Democrats and liberals look like we are anti-foreigner and that we don't want to give poor Arnold a chance to be president. Why do you think they are bringing it up now? It's years before the next election.

They only use him for his star power. Politically, they can't stand the guy. The only way they might seriously consider him is if they think he could win them California.
sobriquet

Postby kurt_w » Wed Nov 24, 2004 4:50 pm

sobriquet wrote:The republicans probably have no intention of electing Arnold. Hell, some of these guys were the same people that had a problem with the fact that Kerry's wife was from Mozambique. If a foreign first lady makes them uncomfortable, they aren't seriously considering a foreign born president.

I think that's one of the areas where you'd find that the Republicans could suddenly be ... flexible. Being outraged in 2004 about a (Democratic) candidate's foreign-born spouse, and then running a foreigner as their own candidate in 2008? No problem. Heck, being Republican means engaging in way more extreme examples of hypocrisy before breakfast most days.

My guess is that Arnold would need to publicly adopt more right-wing social positions before he'd get approval of the family-values crowd, however. That's much more important to most Republican voters than where somebody was born.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby spacecase » Fri Dec 03, 2004 3:47 pm

Mike S. wrote:Heh, reminds me of a time I got into an argument with a "Dean campaign worker" about www.dean04.com, which didn't do anything but give an error message. He started on about how the name hadn't been advertised and nobody even looked at it, so I came up with a list of similar names including www.schwarzenegger2008.com and talked him into putting up a redirect.

Anyway, I see there's now a www.schwarzenegger2012.com comic (not much of a comic, really, but at least they tried) and a www.schwarzenegger2016.com held by domain name squatters... but 2020 and 2024 are still open, if you think they'll still have presidents.

Thanks for those links. That one with the cartoon, I think it's the 2012 one, is really funny. I will share www.toostupidtobepresident.com with people.
spacecase
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Headlines