MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, December 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 31.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

AAAhnold for presinator?! NOOOOOOOOO!

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Who would make a better president?

The Terminator
8%
Batman and the Boy Wonder
8%
Yoda
85%
Rocky
No votes

Total votes : 26

Postby Daisy » Sat Dec 04, 2004 3:17 pm

kurt_w wrote:My guess is that Arnold would need to publicly adopt more right-wing social positions before he'd get approval of the family-values crowd, however.
Even if he wanted to, a sudden reversal on gay & reproductive rights, gun control etc would nix a big part of what his type of "Republican" candidacy supposedly brings to the table: the ability to carry Dem strongholds like CA. He wouldn't have won the governorship here if he'd taken reactionary social positions.

It furthermore would be thoroughly unconvincing to the very people it's designed to placate. It's one thing for a former CIA director, RNC chief and Texas Congressman like Bush Sr. to have a midnight conversion on abortion - there was enough other rightwing cred in his background for the base to let it slide. If you're a Hollywood actor with lots of gay friends, related to the Kennedys, and were just elected on a libertarian social platform, it's gonna be pretty tough to pull a fast one on the religious base.
Daisy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Flat_Atom » Mon Dec 06, 2004 8:32 pm

It's scary to think that a movie as trite as "Demolition Man" could be prophetic.
Flat_Atom
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supergenius » Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:48 pm

Is it true that Arnold is only a factotum and there is really a secret republican government behind him experimenting on the people of CA?
supergenius

Postby simon » Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:03 am

Mike S. wrote:Heh, .....so I came up with a list of similar names including www.schwarzenegger2008.com and talked him into putting up a redirect.

Anyway, I see there's now a www.schwarzenegger2012.com comic (not much of a comic, really, but at least they tried) and a www.schwarzenegger2016.com held by domain name squatters... but 2020 and 2024 are still open, if you think they'll still have presidents.

Hi there,

I registered the name www.schwarzenegger2008.com somewhere in 2003, since the scenario, how bizar it may seems, could turn out to be a reality.

I am curious if there are journalist and writers around who would like to set up a information portal on his possible candidacy in 2008.

Let me know if anybody has plans for such a portal or forum on this domain.

KR, Simon
simon

Postby kurt_w » Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:22 am

In the poll at the top of this thread, I see that Yoda has a 10-to-1 lead over Batman.

Didn't Yoda die in "Return of the Jedi"?

Do people really think that a dead muppet would make a better President than a burly guy in a black cape with years of crime-fighting experience?
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Lascow » Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:31 am

kurt_w wrote:In the poll at the top of this thread, I see that Yoda has a 10-to-1 lead over Batman.

Do people really think that a dead muppet would make a better President than a burly guy in a black cape with years of crime-fighting experience?

The people here would.... Most of the forons supported a limpy, no personality puppet for president this last time. :lol:
Lascow
Forum Addict

Postby spacecase » Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:14 pm

kurt_w wrote:In the poll at the top of this thread, I see that Yoda has a 10-to-1 lead over Batman.

Oh shit. I forgot that Yoda died. He just seemed so calm and reasonable. He didn't strike me as a womanizer or a religious zealot.

It seems like America has no problem electing a puppet for president. So, if we're choosing muppets, I guess I vote for Kermit. He's green. (PLease note, I haven't given this much thought.)
spacecase
Forum Addict

Postby spacecase » Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:15 pm

Lascow wrote:

The people here would.... Most of the forons supported a limpy, no personality puppet for president this last time. :lol:

Exactly.
spacecase
Forum Addict

Previous

Return to Headlines