MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, October 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 51.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

2012-2013 Badger Men's Basketball Season Started

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Re: 2012-2013 Badger Men's Basketball Season Started

Postby acereraser » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:55 pm

Evans shouldn't be benched, no matter how hard he is to watch at times. In today's game against the Gophers, he led the Badgers in scoring (tied with Dekker), rebounds, assists (tied with Brust), steals (tied with Brust), and blocks. He also had the most turnovers, tied with Jackson. However, he also had zero personal fouls.

Next challenge for the Badgers, holding the Buckeyes to 38 points (so the Badgers win with 39).
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:49 pm

The last two games alone justify informational pickets protesting the Badger's employment of non-union masons on the court.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:50 pm

So - just short of the midway mark of the Big 10 season, here's the Badgers' remaining schedule with my predictions in parenthesis:

at Illinois (L)
vs. Iowa (W)
vs. Michigan (L)
at Minnesota (L)
vs. Ohio State (L)
at Northwestern (W)
vs. Nebraska (W)
vs. Purdue (W)
at Michigan State (L)
at Penn State (W)

Some things to note:

As much as I would love to do it, I can't honestly predict home wins over Michigan and Ohio State.

Based on 'conventional wisdom,' I put down road losses to Minnesota and Michigan State. In reality (which is not the same as 'conventional wisdom'), I suspect that Bucky will win one of those games. That should be a wash, since I suspect that Bucky will also lose either the Northwestern or the Penn State road games.

That puts Bucky at 10-8 in the conference, which should build them a NCAA tournament firewall in case they are one and done in the Big 10 tourney.

The biggest challenge I see is that, if things go the way I predict them to, they will lose four of the next five games. On a non-Bo Ryan coached team this might lead to a cratering of morale, but I'm not overly concerned; Bo will keep their eyes on the long-term view.

You are all invited to tell me why I'm full of crap.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:12 pm

Marvell wrote:You are all invited to tell me why I'm full of crap.

I would love to do so, but you're making it difficult. I came up with the same 10-8 record when I looked at the schedule the other day, and that should be a lock for the tourney considering how strong the conference is this year.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:18 am

Remarkable yet meaningless stat: the Badgers scored 74 points in both wins against the Illini this season.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:28 am

The win today is a blessing and a curse. The precipitous fall of the Illini cheapens both of our wins. We need to hope they recover their season to add some quality to our sweep.

That Iowa loss is starting to look really ugly.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:02 am

Not when the Badgers whip them Wednesday. I try to contain my homer tendencies, but I think the Badgers are ready and eager to dish some payback to Iowa this time around, especially the seniors. Like I said, could be wishful thinking, but it also seems like an appropriate turn of the basketball karma wheel.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:37 pm

pjbogart wrote:The win today is a blessing and a curse. The precipitous fall of the Illini cheapens both of our wins. We need to hope they recover their season to add some quality to our sweep.

That Iowa loss is starting to look really ugly.

I hate to quote myself, but the win over Iowa and Illinois' unlikely win over Indiana has UW sitting pretty. Seriously, if we had suffered an Iowa sweep, that would have looked bad. And if Illinois had continued their epic breakdown, our sweep wouldn't have held any water.

It's been a good week. A win Saturday would seal the deal.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby doppel » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:07 pm

pjbogart wrote:It's been a good week. A win Saturday would seal the deal.

Well toss Bucky a fish or two. The deal is sealed. Happy, happy, joy, joy. Happy, happy, joy. Happy, happy, joy, joy. Happy, happy, JOY!Image
doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:11 am

I missed the game because I was stuck at urgent care getting x-rays, but the nurse told me about the miracle three. Seems like the Badger win was a national highlight, though probably more for the theatrics than the upset.

My 22-9 prediction is looking within reach.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:47 pm

So Bucky finally broke the top 25 today, with a bang. #20 and #19 on AP and USA today, respectively. Wisconsin is the only team with 7 losses in the top 25.

I think we might hear some griping come selection time about some mediocre Big Ten teams squeaking in on SOS. Illinois is sitting on a 17-8 record, but only 4-7 in the Big Ten. But they've notched some big wins, including one over #1 Indiana, who held on to their ranking despite losing to the Illini this week.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how the Big Ten does in the tourney this year. The teams will be very battle-tested and unlikely to be surprised by an underdog. Depending on the brackets, I think the Big Ten could potentially land four teams in the Elite Eight.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:46 pm

Huge win today but it seems to be accentuating that painful loss to Minnesota earlier in the week. Of the top three teams in the Big Ten (we own the tie-breaker over Michigan) the Badgers have the easiest road, but they need to make up two games with only five left to play. If they had beat Minnesota, or Iowa earlier in the month, I'd say they're in the driver's seat, but that one extra loss puts them behind the eight-ball and makes the March 7th game against Michigan State practically a must-win. Gulp.

The Badgers should be favored in four of their last five games, with perhaps the softest run of their season since the opening. MSU is the biggest game, but at Northwestern on Wednesday seems like the most likely letdown. I'm sure Bo has the kids focused on that game even if everyone else is staring at the MSU matchup.

Wisconsin has:
@Northwestern
Nebraska
Purdue
@ #8 Michigan State
@ Penn State

That's five games with only two teams above .500 and one of them, Northwestern, just barely (13-12). It's also basically a countdown of the cellar dwellers, with four of the five teams taking the four bottom spots in the Big Ten. You really couldn't ask for a weaker home stretch.

Michigan State has:
#1 Indiana
@ #13 Ohio State
@ #4 Michigan
#20 Wisconsin
Northwestern

Ouch. Well, they'll be prepped for the Big Ten and NCAA tourneys anyway. If we can beat MSU on the road, we only need them to lose one more of those games, which seems likely. If we lose to MSU, we basically need them to drop the next three in a row, which seems unlikely, especially with Michigan and Ohio State stumbling to the finish line.

Indiana has:
@ #8 Michigan State
@ Minnesota
Iowa
#13 Ohio State
@ #4 Michigan

Again, tough stretch, and we only need them to lose two of those games because we own the tie-breaker. But if we lose to Michigan State, we need them to lose three of those games. Three tough road games, so I'd consider that possible, but unlikely that they'd lose all three.

So there it is. If the Badgers beat MSU on the road, we could score an unbelievably unlikely Big Ten Championship. It seems almost crazy to think it, given what was supposed to be an off-year combined with a devastating injury to a star player.

For Lent, I'm giving up pessimism.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby doppel » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:54 am

A good old fashioned ass whupin' sure is fun to watch when you're givng it, especially to a team "rated" higher than you. It didn't hurt that Ohio State was colder than a well diggers ass. Great hustle, teamwork and D by Bucky. Tres up the ying-yang, walla walla bing bang.
doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:57 pm

Dan Fahey is the most efficient scorer for the Badgers of late. Two straight games he has played a minute and scored two points.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:30 pm

Well, so much for the Northwestern letdown. The 28 point margin ties Northwestern's worst loss of the year, which was to Michigan on January 3rd. Bucky now gets two gimmes (knock on wood) before facing Michigan State on the road March 7th, and it's very possible that we'll be tied up for the number two slot at that point. MSU has two tough road games against Ohio State and Michigan before returning home to face the Badgers.

We still need some serious help from Indiana, though. It seems pretty unlikely that they'd lose two of their final four games. But Meade's a dick and karma's a bitch, so anything is possible.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking