MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, August 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 73.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Do Bike Helmet laws make bikers safer?

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Re: Do Bike Helmet laws make bikers safer?

Postby AndyMatts » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:10 pm

Detritus wrote:
AndyMatts wrote:I don't see how the claims can be separated, especially since many of the "public awareness campaigns" were centered around "it's safer, and it's the law."

Which claims? That it's safer on the individual level to wear a helmet, but that the efficacy of mandatory helmet laws cannot be demonstrated?

The idea that, when implementing all these different avenues to improve helmet-wearing, that public awareness campaigns (for example) caused people to wear them, but somehow laws requiring it, implemented in a parallel fashion, don't have an impact. The study doesn't seem to say "we can't say for sure that the laws are effective," it seems to say "the increase in use is due to the other factors."
AndyMatts

Postby Detritus » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:12 pm

AndyMatts wrote:
Detritus wrote:
AndyMatts wrote:I don't see how the claims can be separated, especially since many of the "public awareness campaigns" were centered around "it's safer, and it's the law."

Which claims? That it's safer on the individual level to wear a helmet, but that the efficacy of mandatory helmet laws cannot be demonstrated?

The idea that, when implementing all these different avenues to improve helmet-wearing, that public awareness campaigns (for example) caused people to wear them, but somehow laws requiring it, implemented in a parallel fashion, don't have an impact. The study doesn't seem to say "we can't say for sure that the laws are effective," it seems to say "the increase in use is due to the other factors."

The study doesn't say that public awareness campaigns caused people to wear helmets. The questions they (and in a meta sense, Goldacre) are asking is whether helmet laws are linked to a measureable improvement in safety of the biking population, particularly with respect to head injuries.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:30 pm

AndyMatts wrote:The study doesn't seem to say "we can't say for sure that the laws are effective," it seems to say "the increase in use is due to the other factors."

Where did you get that? The study says helmet use increased but injuries didn't decrease.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby AndyMatts » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:33 pm

rabble wrote:
AndyMatts wrote:The study doesn't seem to say "we can't say for sure that the laws are effective," it seems to say "the increase in use is due to the other factors."

Where did you get that? The study says helmet use increased but injuries didn't decrease.

"Other rider health initiatives — namely, public safety campaigns and the introduction of better bike infrastructure — rendered the contribution of helmet laws 'minimal':"
AndyMatts

Postby rabble » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:58 pm

AndyMatts wrote:
rabble wrote:

"Other rider health initiatives — namely, public safety campaigns and the introduction of better bike infrastructure — rendered the contribution of helmet laws 'minimal':"

I'm sorry but I don't see the "increase in use" part.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stubby » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:31 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07o-TASvIxY

A humorous and insightful look at bike helmets, also many of the reasons I wouldn't touch a silly piece of Styrofoam wrapped in plastic and con myself into thinking I was safer.

I once read an interesting study (that I can't find at the moment) that showed people who wear bike helmets take more risk when biking then those that don't. Not a surprise when bikers who wear helmets are under the illusion of immortality.

I have no doubt I am far safer in the summer wearing my brood brimmed hat that keeps my much cooler then a helmet ever could as I have much less fatigue and respond better to traffic situations. Same goes in winter with a warm hat.

If you want to promote bike use throw away the helmet
Stubby

Postby snoqueen » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:44 am

Bike riders in Europe pretty much agree with you. Nobody there wears one, except racers.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking