MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, December 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 18.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

So who's gonna be the Packer coach next year??

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

So who's gonna be the coach next year??

Brad Childress
1
14%
Mike Holmgren
2
29%
Mike Sherman
2
29%
Bob Bates
2
29%
Monte Kiffin
0
No votes
Kirk Ferentz
0
No votes
 
Total votes : 7

So who's gonna be the Packer coach next year??

Postby Paco » Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:18 am

So who's gonna be the coach next year??


and someone tell me why they just gave Sherman a contract extension?? Like he was going to get a better offer and go somewhere else??
Paco
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 7533
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2001 11:41 am
Location: Whoville

Postby Michael Patrick » Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:24 am

Mike Ditka's available... :twisted:
Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3970
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 8:56 am
Location: Around here somewhere

Postby nevermore » Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:28 am

Next year? How about "Who will be coach in November?" If the Packers lose to the Panthers (which would mean the worst start since the Forrest Gregg years), I'd want to have Sherman fired before the Aints come to town.

This is all his fault - bigger failure than Bush :evil:
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3833
Joined: Tue May 22, 2001 11:07 am

Postby Aaron Conklin » Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:29 am

They extended him because they didn't want his status to be a "distraction" (and it was becoming a big one). Besides, the Pack had enough pre-season fires to douse without fielding questions about Sherman's status--and this was well before they were sitting at 0-3.

It's not like a contract extension protects a coach from firing, anyway. Sherman may still find an ax protuding from his head by week six.
Aaron Conklin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2003 12:40 pm

Postby jjoyce » Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:00 am

Don't be the kind of fan who thinks it's about the coach. It's about the way the NFL works, more than anything else. Guys got good and the Packers couldn't afford to keep them.

It happens.

Brett Favre, the people's hero, isn't helping the team with his I-might-or-might-not-retire schtick. You can't be a team building for the future and a team looking to put together one more season for your franchise player at the same time.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 12168
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2001 4:48 pm
Location: Madison, WI

Postby Paco » Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:07 am

Can't fire the team(3 years of Sherman's drafts), and whether or not Favre is there next year or not doesn't matter right now. Not sure about Thompson either, but ya gotta give him more than a half a year. Joey Harrington might be the only thing keeping the Pack from a first to worst season.

Why didn't he review that play right before Longwell missed the field goal? It would got them 8 more yards, not enough for a first down but an easier 34 yard field goal rather than a 42 yarder. No wonder he dropped his head so fast when it went wide left. And that offense is so boring. 1st down incomplete, 2nd down 1 yard gain, 3rd down 4 yard pass. Yea, that's gonna work.
Paco
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 7533
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2001 11:41 am
Location: Whoville

Postby tibor » Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:38 pm

Paco wrote:Why didn't he review that play right before Longwell missed the field goal? It would got them 8 more yards, not enough for a first down but an easier 34 yard field goal rather than a 42 yarder.


My guess would be because:

� Longwell is one of the most accurate kickers to ever play.
� You need absolute proof to overturn a call on the field, or you lose a timeout. In a game that close, unless you're sure the call will be overturned, I'd let Longwell try the 42. He missed. That's why they make him kick it, and not just award it to him.

Sherman's a decent coach, but a terrible GM. Glad they took that away from him. The Packers played well enough the past two weeks to win, but didn't. That's just football. Add the injury to Javon Walker, and I can't see any reason to fire Sherman at this point.

GB has had some bad breaks, and with their remaining schedule, would be a miracle for them to finish .500. Lots of bandwagon packer fans don't remember the bad old days, but no team is good forever. If Thompson's picks pan out, and if Javon comes back strong next year, and if Favre comes back next year, GB will have a really good team. This year, not so much.
tibor
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 840
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:55 am

Postby supaunknown » Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:00 pm

tibor wrote:Sherman's a decent coach, but a terrible GM.

Ah good ol' tibor. Word.

I've never had a problem with Sherman the coach. He says all the right things in interviews and he's not afraid to take a chance playcalling once in a while. Remember how conservative Holmgren was?
"4th & inches on the opponent's 37 yard line? Better punt."
Sherman's utter devotion to the Packers is transparent. Remember when Clifton's hip got broke? What other coach would've sought out Warren Sapp to call him a "cheapshot motherfucker" to his face?
Sherman obviously cares deeply about the Pack. His draft choices sucked but as a coach he's A-OK by me.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 5578
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2002 3:22 pm

Postby Smartypants » Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:37 pm

supaunknown wrote: His draft choices sucked but as a coach he's A-OK by me.


As a Bears fan, all I can say is, that's what I like to hear!
Smartypants
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1524
Joined: Fri May 09, 2003 9:45 am
Location: In an office somewhere....

Postby supaunknown » Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:20 pm

Smartypants wrote:As a Bears fan ...

A Bears fan? Isn't that cute. So's my wife. Cute and a Bears fan. Sometimes I feel so bad for y'all, but then I remind myself, "It's the Bears, dude. The Bears. Duuuuuuuude. Fuck 'em."
Listening to sports talk radio from the Chicago area is a non-stop bitchin' riot though. Not much to cheer about down there in recent years. Go Sox I 'spose. Blech.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 5578
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2002 3:22 pm

Postby Smartypants » Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:00 pm

supaunknown wrote:
Smartypants wrote:As a Bears fan ...

A Bears fan? Isn't that cute. So's my wife. Cute and a Bears fan. Sometimes I feel so bad for y'all, but then I remind myself, "It's the Bears, dude. The Bears. Duuuuuuuude. Fuck 'em."
Listening to sports talk radio from the Chicago area is a non-stop bitchin' riot though. Not much to cheer about down there in recent years. Go Sox I 'spose. Blech.


Patience my friend, patience. I'm a Cubs fan too, screw the Sox, unless they're playing the Yankees.

The Packers and Bears will be trading places eventually. Remember the 80's? Yeah, I know, that's only like 20 years ago.

It's all starting now though, the Packers are on the way down... :twisted:
Smartypants
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1524
Joined: Fri May 09, 2003 9:45 am
Location: In an office somewhere....

Postby Paco » Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:18 pm

tibor wrote:
My guess would be because:

� Longwell is one of the most accurate kickers to ever play.
� You need absolute proof to overturn a call on the field, or you lose a timeout. In a game that close, unless you're sure the call will be overturned, I'd let Longwell try the 42. He missed. That's why they make him kick it, and not just award it to him.


But they showed one replay and both announcers said it was the wrong call, anyone could see that. He didn't review it content to kick one from 42 instead of taking a small chance and being rewarded with a shorter kick. He gambled, he lost, and that's why he dumped his head cuz he knew he was gonna be explaining that one after the game. He may be accurate, but I bet he's a lot more accurate from 34 than from 42 in the rain.

Who knows, maybe they'll finish 500 and make the playoffs.
Paco
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 7533
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2001 11:41 am
Location: Whoville

Postby nevermore » Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:27 pm

jjoyce wrote:Don't be the kind of fan who thinks it's about the coach.

And normally I'm not. But, first of all, the shape of the team was dictated by the moves Sherman made as GM - and I thought many of those moves were awful.

And more importantly, a coach is someone who leads the team to get them to perform at least the fundamentals. When many bonehead plays are done on the field (like all the penalties), you get the impression that the coach is not getting through. I get the impression that the Dusty Baker of NFL coaches (that's for you, Paco et al) doesn't have that firm a grip on the team and that's leading to a lot of problems on the field.
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3833
Joined: Tue May 22, 2001 11:07 am

Postby supaunknown » Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:14 pm

Smartypants wrote:Patience my friend, patience.The Packers and Bears will be trading places eventually.
It's all starting now though, the Packers are on the way down... :twisted:

And the Bears are already about as far down the football ladder as can be. The last rung. They've been hangin' there for a long time too. How many coaches? How many QBs? Yeah I know, it's all cyclical. Packers/Bears. Democrats/Republicans. What goes around comes around. I grew up during the 70s & 80s and remember all the lean Packer years full of wasted draft picks, rape & drug scandals, and free agent cash getting burned. Someday I'll look back on the Favre era with joy and tell my kids about the funny Southern bumpkin with a rocket for an arm. What do you tell littluns about the embarrassing Jimmy Mac and the Super Bowl Shuffle? Yeesh. Don't get me wrong, Payton was the best running back of all-time imho. And I really dug Mike Singletary and Butkus. But the Bears today? They're sorry-ass loozers. What was Orton's QB rating this last Sunday? Higher or lower than his age? Poor Bears ... :twisted:
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 5578
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2002 3:22 pm

Postby Smartypants » Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:23 pm

supaunknown wrote:
Smartypants wrote:Patience my friend, patience.The Packers and Bears will be trading places eventually.
It's all starting now though, the Packers are on the way down... :twisted:

And the Bears are already about as far down the football ladder as can be. The last rung. They've been hangin' there for a long time too. How many coaches? How many QBs? Yeah I know, it's all cyclical. Packers/Bears. Democrats/Republicans. What goes around comes around. I grew up during the 70s & 80s and remember all the lean Packer years full of wasted draft picks, rape & drug scandals, and free agent cash getting burned. Someday I'll look back on the Favre era with joy and tell my kids about the funny Southern bumpkin with a rocket for an arm. What do you tell littluns about the embarrassing Jimmy Mac and the Super Bowl Shuffle? Yeesh. Don't get me wrong, Payton was the best running back of all-time imho. And I really dug Mike Singletary and Butkus. But the Bears today? They're sorry-ass loozers. What was Orton's QB rating this last Sunday? Higher or lower than his age? Poor Bears ... :twisted:


Ha. That's cool, dig on rookie Orton's bad game against the Bengals.

All I have to say right now is 0-3. You sound a little defensive, I mean who could blame you, McMahon has TWO super bowl rings to Bumpkin's 1.

Maybe Favre will get traded to Bears and watch Orton take the team back to the SuperBowl.

Shufflin' on down...come on, that was some funny shit. :wink:
Smartypants
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1524
Joined: Fri May 09, 2003 9:45 am
Location: In an office somewhere....

Next

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

moviesmusiceats
Select a Movie
Select a Theater


commentsViewedForum
  ISTHMUS FLICKR
Created with flickr badge.

Promotions Contact us Privacy Policy Jobs Newsletters RSS
Collapse Photo Bar