MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Wednesday, September 17, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 47.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Start Making Those October Travel Plans...

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Postby Nordic_Lutheran » Fri May 18, 2007 9:48 am

nevermore wrote:And finally, there's nothing sweeter than having to play the Washington Generals...errr...Nationals. Study them well during the next couple days. They may be the worst team in years.

Saw this weak excuse for a team play at RFK (a weak excuse for a ballpark) last weekend. It's the first time I saw a MLB outfielder (playing for the Nats) lose the ball in the sun and pitifully cover his head with his hands to protect himself as the ball landed three feet in front of him. Next inning the Nats first baseman dropped a putridly easy foul ball that would have ended the inning; next pitch the Marlins hitter raked a two run double. With all the errors I thought I was back at Warner Park.

Oh yeah, and baseball "fans" in DC are total douchebagus maximuses. I expect to see the Las Vegas Nationals start playing sometime next decade.
Nordic_Lutheran
Forum Addict

Postby Marvell » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:22 pm

Okay - after a couple weeks in the doldrums the Crew is back on the kicking-ass track. As evidenced by their sweep of the Giants.

Bill Hall is starting to really come around, Turnbow is settling down, and based on his first appearance Yovani Gallardo looks ready to join Ryan Braun as a potential rookie of the year candidate.

Plus the rest of the NL Central sucks. Watched the Cubs get pantsed by the Rangers last night - if that's the competition, the Brewers should have the division sewed up by the Harmony Tournament.

What a time to be alive...
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:11 pm

How does 6 innings of pro ball qualify one as a rookie of the year candidate?

The Cards won't be asleep forever. Just sayin'.
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:18 pm

Paco wrote:How does 6 innings of pro ball qualify one as a rookie of the year candidate?

The Cards won't be asleep forever. Just sayin'.

The Cards won't be asleep? Are youasleep? They
SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK. Even worse than the Cubs, who certainly have the players and cash to be dangerous if they ever come together as a team rather than a bunch of free agents.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:48 am

Paco wrote:How does 6 innings of pro ball qualify one as a rookie of the year candidate?

Every rookie of the year had to have start number one.

Start number two tomorrow.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Learned » Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:14 pm

7 great innings today. Got out of a couple of jams. He's the real deal.
Learned
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:34 pm

Thank Christ Fat Cecil's fat son struck out to end the game today. It would have totally sucked for the Cubs to get their first-ever sweep at the Joan and not have something to show for it.

[applies asbestos to screen and keyboard]
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:08 pm

nevermore wrote:Thank Christ Fat Cecil's fat son struck out to end the game today. It would have totally sucked for the Cubs to get their first-ever sweep at the Joan and not have something to show for it.

Yeah - now they're only 7 and a half games behind, instead of 8. Real moral victory there.

I'd rather have 'Fat Cecil's fat son' than any three names on the Scrubs roster.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:57 am

That bringing in 2 relievers (and sometimes 3) to end a game really makes me scary, and yesterday was why. Relievers are notoriously flakey, and bringing in 2 instead of 1 just doubles your chances of blowing it.
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Learned » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:07 am

Before the game, Davey Nelson was saying that Gallardo should be sent down when Capuano is ready to come back. There's no way that should happen with Y.G. pitching like he is.

And hey, I'm sure Cubs fans think it's only a matter of time before they pass the Crew. Somehow I doubt that with a team that has to trade players because they don't get along. And I'm sure Soriano will start crying soon about how he wants to play the infield.
Learned
Forum God/Goddess

Postby motoroiljoe » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:21 am

Sounding like Yovani will be headed to the 'pen after his next start on Friday in Chicago. I like this move. The CW on this is to limit his innings through the season, keeping him fresh for September and October.

I, for one, love this idea. They can't exactly move Vargas (they WIN when he starts,) or Bush (he's thrown up more zeroes than any of their starters).
Besides now they'll have two bona fide starters (with Villanueva) ready to go from the 'pen in an emergency.
Maybe they can get rid of Spurling or Capellan now!

Face it, we're in it to win it THIS year. Let's worry about next year later.
motoroiljoe

Postby Learned » Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:12 pm

Streaking Cubs just can't get any traction in the Central. Showdown at Wrigley this weekend ....
Learned
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:10 pm

Marvell wrote:...if that's the competition, the Brewers should have the division sewed up by the Harmony Tournament.

Hope you still believe that, because that was one brutal road trip the Brewers just had.
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:47 am

nevermore wrote:
Marvell wrote:...if that's the competition, the Brewers should have the division sewed up by the Harmony Tournament.

Hope you still believe that, because that was one brutal road trip the Brewers just had.

Yup. Luckily, the Cubs managed to generally lose at the same time, other than embarrassing the Brewers at Wrigley. And we both got embarrassed at goddamn PNC.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:52 am

Where I come from, 6-4 over the last 10 games is a bit different than 3-7 (though not as good as 7-3 - which is what the Pirates were to end the half after fans announced a walkout a week ago Saturday). That's giving up 3 games of your lead in a week-and-a-half.
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking