MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, September 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 65.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Start Making Those October Travel Plans...

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Postby minicat » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:10 am

nevermore wrote:Where I come from, 6-4 over the last 10 games is a bit different than 3-7 (though not as good as 7-3 - which is what the Pirates were to end the half after fans announced a walkout a week ago Saturday). That's giving up 3 games of your lead in a week-and-a-half.


If it were September, I'd be worried. There's no reason to ramp up the fear in July.

The thing that worries me more than the Scrubs is the fact that anyone from the Brewers who goes to the All-Star game invariably tanks in the 2nd half.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 4474
Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2002 2:22 pm

Postby nevermore » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:21 am

minicat wrote:...the fact that anyone from the Brewers who goes to the All-Star game invariably tanks in the 2nd half.

Too true.

Sincerely,
1982's Robin Yount, Cecil Cooper and Rollie Fingers

(Ben Ogilvie was the only Brewer All-Star that year to not have such a good second half)
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3833
Joined: Tue May 22, 2001 11:07 am

Postby minicat » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:41 am

nevermore wrote:
minicat wrote:...the fact that anyone from the Brewers who goes to the All-Star game invariably tanks in the 2nd half.

Too true.

Sincerely,
1982's Robin Yount, Cecil Cooper and Rollie Fingers

(Ben Ogilvie was the only Brewer All-Star that year to not have such a good second half)


I'm thinking about recent history here. I know Cubs fans are trained to only consider the far distant past, though, so that may be difficult for you.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 4474
Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2002 2:22 pm

Postby nevermore » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:04 am

minicat wrote:I'm thinking about recent history here. I know Cubs fans are trained to only consider the far distant past, though, so that may be difficult for you.

Well I can certainly can tell you're thinking - I can see the hamsters going around the wheel from here.

Look, the 1982 Brewers came immediately to mind for all the obvious reasons. I can comb baseball-reference.com all day to debunk you. But you're probably right as the Brewer All-Stars of most of the recent years weren't all that great to begin with and were only there under the "every team has to have one" rule (eg. Bob Wickman).
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3833
Joined: Tue May 22, 2001 11:07 am

Postby minicat » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:10 am

nevermore wrote:
minicat wrote:I'm thinking about recent history here. I know Cubs fans are trained to only consider the far distant past, though, so that may be difficult for you.

Well I can certainly can tell you're thinking - I can see the hamsters going around the wheel from here.

... the Brewer All-Stars of most of the recent years weren't all that great to begin with and were only there under the "every team has to have one" rule (eg. Bob Wickman).


Exactly.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 4474
Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2002 2:22 pm

Postby Marvell » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:53 pm

nevermore wrote:Bob Wickman


I would have gone with Rickey Bones.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6981
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2001 11:28 pm
Location: At one with time and space

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:31 pm

The latest twist as the Brewers struggle to maintain a one game lead: Weeks sent down to AAA.

Hope he'll look at it as an opportunity to get more at bats and work on his hitting, and won't pull a Belliard.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 19880
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all

Postby nevermore » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:43 pm

buckyor wrote:
nevermore wrote:Remember: Objects in the mirror are closer than they appear.


Heh. Yes. But I don't know if anyone is too worried about that old Nova that is rapidly receding behind us.

Image

Fuck the rear-view mirror! Look at what's in the passing lane!!!

CUBS 57 49
crew 58 50

EAT IT BREWER FAN!!! After all these months, your team is now looking up in the standings - AT THE FIRST-PLACE CUBS!!!

Buck up, though. If the Giants beat the Dodgers, the Brewers will be on top of the Wild Card.
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3833
Joined: Tue May 22, 2001 11:07 am

Postby nevermore » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:55 pm

Marvell wrote:Yost gets Manager of the Year and Cordero wins the Cy Young.


Q!!! F!!! T!!!
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3833
Joined: Tue May 22, 2001 11:07 am

Postby Paco » Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:20 am

I hope getting in front of the Brewers wasn't the only goal Chicago had this year.
Paco
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 7533
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2001 11:41 am
Location: Whoville

Postby buckyor » Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:04 pm

if you has asked me two weeks ago, I'd have told you that the Brewers were still in line to win 92-93 games, and that this would be enough to win the division. The Cubs were cooling off (they still are, by the way), and weren't (and still aren't) gonna get more than 90 wins.

Now I think the Brewers will be lucky to win 80. They have the look of a team that is just about to go into complete meltdown. It will cost Yost his job (and it should), but maybe that's a good thing. I think he's taken this team as far as he can, and it's time for someone else to take the reins. This team is far more talented than it's been playing lately, and I think that's largely a result of Yost's coddling of his young players. I think that was a good thing for a few years, to allow the young guys to get some experience and build some confidence, but now it's time for these guys to actually step up and perform at the high level that is expected every day, and Yost isn't the guy that can get that from these players. Not with his history with them.

Still not sure it's gonna be the Cubs that win this division though. I still think St. Louis can make a run.
buckyor
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2328
Joined: Mon May 07, 2001 1:09 pm
Location: Albuquerque, NM

Postby nevermore » Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:22 pm

Paco wrote:I hope getting in front of the Brewers wasn't the only goal Chicago had this year.

Well shit, after last year I would be happy with an 81-81 season. It was just that after a few weeks it looked obvious to me that we may be in for a great August and September. Of course, that only got me loads of shit in these threads (Marvell, minicat, where *are* you guys?). But right on schedule, August 1st and here we are.

As for the Brewers...is the grip on yet?
MILWAUKEE (AP) -- Already fighting to stay in first place, the Milwaukee Brewers are now scuffling among themselves.

Catcher Johnny Estrada and manager Ned Yost nearly tangled in a dugout tunnel late in Thursday's 12-4 loss to the New York Mets, the Brewers' 10th defeat in 14 games.

"There was frustration expressed on a number of different sides about our style of play and about the way we've been playing," Yost said. "We handled it and took care of it like good teams do."

Damion Easley hit the first inside-the-park homer at Miller Park in five years, breaking a sixth-inning tie. The Mets scored three more times in the seventh, helped by shortstop J.J. Hardy's error and an RBI double from reliever Jorge Sosa.


And this may get me some jeers, but looks like we're getting Wood tomorrow.
Last edited by nevermore on Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3833
Joined: Tue May 22, 2001 11:07 am

Postby boston_jeff » Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:44 pm

Yes, its the young players not playing thats the problem ...how about the entire pitching staff finally coming back to earth and pitching to their actual talent level? Did you actually think that Jeff Suppan was the answer to the Brewers playoff drought? With Sheets getting hurt right in time and Turnbow doing what he does best they look like shit. Come on now, Yost is not the problem, the fact that he started a fight with a player in the dugout today shows he's exactly the kind of manager that young players need!!!
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2603
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:41 pm
Location: Near East

Postby Paco » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:25 am

Nothing wrong witha fight. Zambrano's been pretty good since his spat.

Big question is does Kerry Wood go on the disabled list before Sheets comes off. One of them has to ne on it at all times, I guess.

We should get a pool going for the day KW goes down. I'll say Aug 22.
Paco
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 7533
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2001 11:41 am
Location: Whoville

Postby minicat » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:31 am

nevermore wrote:
Paco wrote:I hope getting in front of the Brewers wasn't the only goal Chicago had this year.

Well shit, after last year I would be happy with an 81-81 season. It was just that after a few weeks it looked obvious to me that we may be in for a great August and September. Of course, that only got me loads of shit in these threads (Marvell, minicat, where *are* you guys?). But right on schedule, August 1st and here we are.

As for the Brewers...is the grip on yet?
MILWAUKEE (AP) -- Already fighting to stay in first place, the Milwaukee Brewers are now scuffling among themselves.

Catcher Johnny Estrada and manager Ned Yost nearly tangled in a dugout tunnel late in Thursday's 12-4 loss to the New York Mets, the Brewers' 10th defeat in 14 games.

"There was frustration expressed on a number of different sides about our style of play and about the way we've been playing," Yost said. "We handled it and took care of it like good teams do."

Damion Easley hit the first inside-the-park homer at Miller Park in five years, breaking a sixth-inning tie. The Mets scored three more times in the seventh, helped by shortstop J.J. Hardy's error and an RBI double from reliever Jorge Sosa.


And this may get me some jeers, but looks like we're getting Wood tomorrow.


Jesus. Hasn't the last 100 years taught you anything?

Like I said before, I'm not pushing the panic button (or getting overly excited) until September. However, I agree with Bucky that there's already a brick sitting on top of the panic button. Despite their talent, this team may have already quit, which is pretty damn disappointing.

As bad as Weeks has been with the bat, his demotion may have been the final straw as far as Yost's career in Milwaukee continuing, if he's really lost the players due to the move. However, at some point the young players also have to stop being coddled. He's been plenty patient with everyone on this team, and it's time for them to start performing.


Otherwise, I actually feel bad for Kerry Wood at this point, and it would be nice to see him be able to continue his career. It'd be better if it didn't hurt the Brewers, but I think they're doing enough of that themselves the past month that Wood isn't gonna make a difference either way.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 4474
Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2002 2:22 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

moviesmusiceats
Select a Movie
Select a Theater


commentsViewedForum
  ISTHMUS FLICKR

Promotions Contact us Privacy Policy Jobs Newsletters RSS
Collapse Photo Bar