MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Wednesday, September 17, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 56.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

The Big Ten Network

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Postby white_rabbit » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:07 pm

I was thinking something more like this, but in Badger red...

...I know, wishful thinking, but what can I say; I'm a helpless romantic.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:12 pm

The bars will be doing good business Saturday. UW football at 2:30 followed by men's b-ball at 7. Both on... you guessed it ... the Big Ten Network.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:47 pm

So where are the TV-free bars in this town?
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby tibor » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:15 am

Beer Moon wrote:As far as I know, Charter has never had any problems raking in sick profits.

Actually, "sick" is a good term for Charter's profits. They're a penny-stock and have been for years.

Tough business and incompetent leadership will do that.
tibor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Uncle Fester » Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:22 am

News flash: Not all Badger fans and UW alumni reside in Wisconsin. In the Twin Cities, in recent years, a lot of Badger fans have been able to catch Badger football games via cable. We also get a few basketball games and the odd hockey game. That's all changed this year. I think I've seen two games. For us, the "sports bar" option is often not available.
And like UW alums in other states, we buy the Bucky hats, shirts, and key chains. We own UW-affiliated credit cards. We send in alumni donations. And the UW's message, when it makes exclusive, proprietary, and greedy deals with some sleazeball TV network in Chicago? It's the equivalent of that infamous Bucky Badger t-shirt with his middle raised high in the air. I've yet to see how abandoning and alienating UW fans and alumni is a good thing for the university.
Uncle Fester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:29 pm

Consider yourself fortunate if you don't have the NFL Network. I watched the Indy game last night at my brothers. Bryant Gumble (50 pounds less than the last time you saw him) and Collinsworth. Gumble is the most awful announcer I have ever heard....it was painful to listen to. I'm glad I'll be watching in a bar next week.

At least twice yesterday I heard talking heads say "next week will be a great game, too bad half the country can't see it."
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:43 pm

UW and the BTN must be getting desperate for good p.r., since tonight's game against Indiana will be shown on the Jumbotron at the Kohl Center for free. The athletic department has been bragging that men's b-ball ticket prices aren't going up, because of the ad revenue the University receives from the BTN. Bet that money will dry up; advertisers aren't going to fork over big bucks when so few people get the games.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pulseCzar » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:42 pm

If only the Big Ten Network could come off like they actually knew about the Big Ten teams and not like a last minute cram. I saw one "in depth" story about Halloween in Madison and they didn't show one second of State Street. The entire story featured the interviewer hitting on girls at Madison Avenue. I couldn't have been more embarrassed that other BTN viewers thought sorority girls in stupid costumes at a stupid bar is what Halloween in Madison is about.

There's also a commercial for Badger Hoops that talks about how, in between Jump Around and the Beer Barrel Polka, there's a basketball game. It sounds fun except that neither of those songs are played at men's hoops games.

And don't even get me started on the play-by-play announcers. Could these guys try just a little to not sound like they didn't cram for info about the team 30 minutes before airtime?

Maybe people would be more supporive if BTN came off like it actually cared and isn't just in this for the money. I understand that it's year one but....ugh. I'm thoroughly unimpressed.
pulseCzar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:21 am

Here's a snip from the ESPN website article reporting on the Badgers/MSU game 2/28/08:

The Badgers have the weekend off, but Ryan wasn't so sure he'd be watching conference rivals play on television.

"I don't have the Big Ten Network, so that's going to be tough," Ryan deadpanned.

Now, I have no way of finding the truth to this question, and I don't expect any of you to either, but do you think anyone has the stones and/or the miserable task of mentioning to Bo that they would really appreciate it he could, maybe, not say things like that?
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Any surprise?

Postby beenthere » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:22 pm

Is there any surprise that Wiley refuses to meet with the students again re: their concerns of UW's investments in Adidus?

I think the students should be thankful that Wiley's time is short here. Hopefully his replacement won't keep blowing off the students (and legislature) as his has done throughout his adminstrative career here.
beenthere
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:02 pm

Adidus?

Go shit on your own threads, this one is mine.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:32 pm

BTN is up and running on Charter. Channel 73.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking