MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, October 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 54.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Four (Count 'em) Four Brewer All-Stars

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Four (Count 'em) Four Brewer All-Stars

Postby Marvell » Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:17 pm

Prince Fielder starts; Sheets, Cordero and J.J. Hardy all make the NL team as well.

Looks like the rest of the country has finally figured it out - the Brewers are for real, baby.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:20 pm

I LOVE Francisco Cordero! MY favorite Brewer.

"Cordero with a runner at first...The pitch. Ramirez just won it for the Cubs. Goooone." - Uecker 6-29-07
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:34 pm

And, uh, comparing Fat Cecil's fat son to my first baseman, I'd go with mine:

56 points higher BA, 40 points higher OBP, more hits and doubles and fewer strikeouts and, what's this?, NINE errors at first and it's not even All-Star Break yet?

Bonds sneaking into the starting lineup is less a travesty.
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:37 pm

That's great, nevermore. Tell me. How are your Gents doing in the West?

"Oh, how awful. Did he at least die painlessly? ...To shreds, you say. Well, how is his wife holding up? ...To shreds, you say."
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:00 am

TheBookPolice wrote:Tell me. How are your Gents doing in the West?

Wha??
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:29 am

who did Bonds overtake? I'm wondering if they rigged it for him. At this rate, he may tie/break the record in Milw. If so, you'll be able to hear the boos all the way over here.
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby aaronetc » Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:18 am

I saw them in Milwaukee a couple weeks ago, in the game where he only pinch-hit. It was the loudest showering of boos I've ever heard.
aaronetc
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:17 am

nevermore wrote:
TheBookPolice wrote:Tell me. How are your Gents doing in the West?

Wha??

Don't hit me, but I confused you with Daisy.

You must be a Northsider. Same basic question. How they doin'?
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby buckyor » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:51 am

nevermore wrote:And, uh, comparing Fat Cecil's fat son to my first baseman, I'd go with mine:

56 points higher BA, 40 points higher OBP, more hits and doubles and fewer strikeouts and, what's this?, NINE errors at first and it's not even All-Star Break yet?

I think these stats are illustrative:

HR: . . . . . . MVP 27, D. Lee 6
RBI: . . . . . MVP 66, D. Lee 41
Runs: . . . . . MVP 57, D. Lee 40
Slugging %: . . MVP .614, D. Lee .505
OPS: . . . . . MVP .985, D. Lee 925

BOLD indicates National League leader.

Yeah, I can see where Derrek Lee is having a much better year than MV- err, Prince Fielder.
buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:19 pm

buckyor wrote:Yeah, I can see where Derrek Lee is having a much better year than MV- err, Prince Fielder.

You forgot that Fielder's now-Ten errors at first is leading the NL first basemen by a longshot. His FP is also the worst among starting first basemen and even worse than some shortstops. I'll let you guess which starting first baseman has the fewest errors and highest FP.
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:22 pm

nevermore wrote:
buckyor wrote:Yeah, I can see where Derrek Lee is having a much better year than MV- err, Prince Fielder.

You forgot that Fielder's now-Ten errors at first is leading the NL first basemen by a longshot. His FP is also the worst among starting first basemen and even worse than some shortstops. I'll let you guess which starting first baseman has the fewest errors and highest FP.

So ... how many wins has that contributed to for the scrubs?
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:24 pm

The Cubs are also leading the league in Umpire punched by managers and inter-dugout brawls. They are all All Stars in my book.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:59 pm

minicat wrote:
nevermore wrote:

So ... how many wins has that contributed to for the scrubs?

You're obviously missing my point. I'll type this slowly so you can understand:

The point I've been trying to make for you Brewer fans is that World Series and MVP trophies are not handed out solely on the performances during the months of April and May. Remember 1997? 1987? Don't do this to yourselves, guys. Keep the following facts in mind:

1) Against the top three teams of each division, the Brewers are 20-25. They don't do that well against quality teams (and to the inevitable question, my team's 22-25).

and

2) MVP voters take defense into account. Prince Fielder (horrible misnomer) is so brutal at first that he makes Albert Pujols look good by comparison. And you might not be noticing, but he's cooled off a bit at the plate since April/May. He hit fewer homers (8) than Soriano in June and his June batting #'s are .258/.377/.581 - hardly MVP #'s.

Or continue to keep crapping on the Cubs (a team that has been coming together as of late and I'd be worried about if I were you).
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:01 pm

Unless your Brooks Robinson, a gold glove ain't gonna get you a starting position on the All-star team.

HR's is what catches peoples attention, puts the arses in the seats, and the leader in the AL got the most total votes, and the leader in the Nl is starting at 1b.

He's also leading the 1B's in inside-the-park-homeruns. ;)
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:03 pm

buckyor wrote:
nevermore wrote:And, uh, comparing Fat Cecil's fat son to my first baseman, I'd go with mine:

I think these stats are illustrative:

HR: . . . . . . MVP 27, D. Lee 6
RBI: . . . . . MVP 66, D. Lee 41
Runs: . . . . . MVP 57, D. Lee 40
Slugging %: . . MVP .614, D. Lee .505
OPS: . . . . . MVP .985, D. Lee 925

BOLD indicates National League leader.

Yeah, I can see where Derrek Lee is having a much better year than MV- err, Prince Fielder.

Your BOLDS would be more illustrative if they were accurate. Barroid has a higher OPS. Jimmy Rollins, Hanly Ramirez, Dan Uggla and Chase Utley have more runs. Carlos Lee (remember him?) has more RBIs.

But he did hit a whale of a lot of homers in April and May. I can't take that away from him.
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking