MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, October 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 49.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Four (Count 'em) Four Brewer All-Stars

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Postby nevermore » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:09 pm

Paco wrote:Unless your Brooks Robinson, a gold glove ain't gonna get you a starting position on the All-star team.

Or Ron Santo...:wink:

HR's is what catches peoples attention, puts the arses in the seats, and the leader in the AL got the most total votes, and the leader in the Nl is starting at 1b.

He's also leading the 1B's in inside-the-park-homeruns. ;)
Not disagreeing with you. I'm just saying it ain't right.

And didn't I read somewhere that that inside-the-park homer (best highlight reel ever, btw) kill him?
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby funkwood » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:17 pm

nevermore wrote:
minicat wrote:
nevermore wrote:You're obviously missing my point. I'll type this slowly so you can understand:

The point I've been trying to make for you Brewer fans is that World Series and MVP trophies are not handed out solely on the performances during the months of April and May. Remember 1997? 1987? Don't do this to yourselves, guys. Keep the following facts in mind:

A Cubs fan warning others of a late season collapse by their team makes me chuckle... no wait! laugh hysterically
funkwood

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:20 pm

nevermore wrote:The point I've been trying to make for you Brewer fans is that World Series and MVP trophies are not handed out solely on the performances during the months of April and May.

Is there some insight only available to fans of the Lovables that tells you that there's only one team "coming together" to win it all, and it hails from south of Kenosha?

For the record, I've never said any Brewer is clearing off mantle space, nor have I claimed they were shoo-ins for the Series.

However, they've got the best record in the NL at the beginning of July. I think it's about time to start giving them credit, as opposed to spouting off about how April and May do not a season make.

That was two months ago now, and the Brewers are still in first.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:51 pm

I'm not booking my World Series trip either but at least my team's not cursed. So there's at least some hope.

Here's a Cubs fan (and I like them too don't get me wrong but..)

Brewers Fan: So wow the Crew has Four all stars this year. That's just Super!
Cubs fan: Cubs Cubs Cubs Cubs Blah Blah Blah Cubs.

please take your Cubs fan mental problems to another thread.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:05 pm

nevermore wrote:
minicat wrote:
nevermore wrote:
buckyor wrote:Yeah, I can see where Derrek Lee is having a much better year than MV- err, Prince Fielder.

You forgot that Fielder's now-Ten errors at first is leading the NL first basemen by a longshot. His FP is also the worst among starting first basemen and even worse than some shortstops. I'll let you guess which starting first baseman has the fewest errors and highest FP.

So ... how many wins has that contributed to for the scrubs?

You're obviously missing my point. I'll type this slowly so you can understand:

The point I've been trying to make for you Brewer fans is that World Series and MVP trophies are not handed out solely on the performances during the months of April and May. Remember 1997? 1987? Don't do this to yourselves, guys. Keep the following facts in mind:

1) Against the top three teams of each division, the Brewers are 20-25. They don't do that well against quality teams (and to the inevitable question, my team's 22-25).

and

2) MVP voters take defense into account. Prince Fielder (horrible misnomer) is so brutal at first that he makes Albert Pujols look good by comparison. And you might not be noticing, but he's cooled off a bit at the plate since April/May. He hit fewer homers (8) than Soriano in June and his June batting #'s are .258/.377/.581 - hardly MVP #'s.

Or continue to keep crapping on the Cubs (a team that has been coming together as of late and I'd be worried about if I were you).

1. Who's talking about the teams' records overall? I was addressing your Fielder vs. Lee comparison. I would bet that Lee's good defense has done less to help the Cubs than Fielder's errors have hurt the Brewers.

2. I didn't ever say Fielder's gonna win (or deserves) the MVP this season. And I don't think Fielder's all that bad at first, to tell you the truth. A number of his errors are due to the rest of his infield airmailing throws.

3. No matter who wins the division, the Cubs still suck. But I will concede that as a Cubs fan, you should certainly be well aware of how a team can collapse.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:06 pm

fisticuffs wrote:I'm not booking my World Series trip either but at least my team's not cursed. So there's at least some hope.

Here's a Cubs fan (and I like them too don't get me wrong but..)

Brewers Fan: So wow the Crew has Four all stars this year. That's just Super!
Cubs fan: Cubs Cubs Cubs Cubs Blah Blah Blah Cubs.

please take your Cubs fan mental problems to another thread.

I just jumped in to give some love to my favorite Cordero and make an argument that Fat Cecil's fat son doesn't deserve an All-Star Game start. But if you want to make this about me, that really says more about your mental problems than mine.
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby funkwood » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:15 pm

You are crazy if you don't think Prince deserves to be the All-Star starter.

While I appreciate good defense a lot in baseball and I think D Lee is fabulous with the glove (certainly one of the best I have ever seen) he is currently a glorified singles and doubles hitter. First base is a POWER position. D Lee has not hit a home run in a month. I guarantee the Cubs would take Prince's 25+HR and 60+ RBI at this point in a heartbeat if it came at a cost of 10+ errors.

In fact I was watching an Arizona D-Back game just last week in which the first baseman committed an error and the play by play guy (Darren Sutton-old Brewers announcer) said that Prince lead the league in errors by a first baseman. The color guy (Mark Grace- yes THAT Mark Grace) stated something like (I am paraphrasing): "I could care less if my first baseman made a few errors if he had 26 bombs in the middle of June like Prince has."

Considering Grace who was also a whiz with the glove, I think that says a lot.
funkwood

Postby buckyor » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:16 pm

nevermore wrote:Your BOLDS would be more illustrative if they were accurate. Barroid has a higher OPS. Jimmy Rollins, Hanly Ramirez, Dan Uggla and Chase Utley have more runs. Carlos Lee (remember him?) has more RBIs.

You're right; while my initial sort was for the whole league, I then sorted to just NL 1B (to help find Lee without having to scroll too far down the list). My bad.

Fielder does lead in slugging, but Barry Bones leads in OPS due to all the walks he gets. And Prince is all the way down to 5th in runs scored. I did not claim that Prince led the league in RBI, though I would note that the admittedly inaptly-named Fielder has 60% more RBI than Derrek Lee. That's not a little.

And who else is better situated than a Cubs' fan to inform us all that April and May mean nothing? Of course, the last weekend in June is something else. . . .
buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Fat.The.Gangster » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:19 pm

Dear Brewer's Fans,

It has been twenty-five years since you even so much as sniffed the postseason. During that time you have fielded five teams that won more than they lost. When you manage to record your first winning season since 1992 and back to back winning seasons since 1987, please give us serious baseball fans a call.

Sincerely yours,

Cubs Fan
Last edited by Fat.The.Gangster on Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fat.The.Gangster
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:20 pm

nevermore, throughout, wrote:I MY my I'd mine I'll my I'll I've my I'd I I I'm I I my

nevermore wrote:But if you want to make this about me, that really says more about your mental problems than mine.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby funkwood » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:20 pm

Dear Cubs fans,

I miss you. It's been awhile.

Signed,

The World Series
funkwood

Postby nevermore » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:20 pm

minicat wrote:1. Who's talking about the teams' records overall? I was addressing your Fielder vs. Lee comparison. I would bet that Lee's good defense has done less to help the Cubs than Fielder's errors have hurt the Brewers.

Even if you could prove your bet (which you can't), it's not a factor in a "Does Prince Fielder deserve an All-Star game start?" discussion. Just doesn't.

2. I didn't ever say Fielder's gonna win (or deserves) the MVP this season. And I don't think Fielder's all that bad at first, to tell you the truth. A number of his errors are due to the rest of his infield airmailing throws.

Since I'm stirring the bandwagon, I'm getting it from all comers and I used my reply to you to reply to somebody else. Sorry you didn't get that.

3. No matter who wins the division, the Cubs still suck. But I will concede that as a Cubs fan, you should certainly be well aware of how a team can collapse.

Whatever, dude.
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:21 pm

Fat.The.Gangster wrote:Sincerely yours,

Cubs Fan
Redefining "success" since 1908

Fixt.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Fat.The.Gangster » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:23 pm

funkwood wrote:Dear Cubs fans,

I miss you. It's been awhile.

Signed,

The World Series

It is better to have loved and lost, than to have never loved at all.
Fat.The.Gangster
Forum Addict

Postby nevermore » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:24 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:
nevermore, throughout, wrote:I MY my I'd mine I'll my I'll I've my I'd I I I'm I I my

nevermore wrote:But if you want to make this about me, that really says more about your mental problems than mine.

YOU are fucking brilliant. Take it from m...errr...nevermind.
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking