MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, August 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 74.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Forgive me, Derrek Lee

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Forgive me, Derrek Lee

Postby nevermore » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:07 pm

The day I homer for DLee based on his fielding and one error, he commits two errors in tonight's game at Washington. Geez...
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:39 am

But at least the Cubbies still managed to win. Now if only the Brewers would start losing, we might be able to make a move in the standings...
Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:09 am

Hey Cubs fans. Nothin but love. If we could get the Cubs in the wildcard spot and The Crew continues to lead the division I might actually be interested in watching it.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:24 am

I certainly don't hate the Brewers or their fans the way I hate, say, the Mets and their fans. And a team that has struggled to get to .500 probably doesn't deserve to lead any division anyway. So I wouldn't argue with the Cubs and Brewers facing each other in the wild card round...
Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:32 am

They'd play in the championship round (2nd round), since they're in the same division. If they get past SD, LA & NY.
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:17 am

It just kills me that a noted and respectable man of the people, drinker of Berghoff and Packer fan like nevermore could root for the north siders.

I mean, have you been to a game at Wrigley lately? Assuming you can come up with the $50 minimum to get in the ballpark, good luck enjoying yourself among the sweater-around-the-shoulders crowd.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:52 am

jjoyce wrote:It just kills me that a noted and respectable man of the people, drinker of Berghoff and Packer fan like nevermore could root for the north siders.

I mean, have you been to a game at Wrigley lately? Assuming you can come up with the $50 minimum to get in the ballpark, good luck enjoying yourself among the sweater-around-the-shoulders crowd.

Have you been to a game lately? Based on your description, I'd guess no. I was at Wrigley Field a couple of weeks ago, paid $22 to get in. And I have no clue what the hell you are talking about with the sweater-around-the-shoulder thing. I saw no such thing... :roll:
Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:54 am

I'd have to agree. The only game Ive been to this year or last was at Wrigley and I have no complaints. even the cheap seats are good there and the crowd wasnt anything I'd complain about. You must have sat in the yuppie section. Not sure what that says about you. Are you a self-hating yuppie?
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:03 am

The entirety of Wrigley Field equals the "yuppie section." Maybe it was too warm for a sweater so, instead, the crowd was in its popped polo collars.

It's alright... I'm familiar with the tunnel vision of your average Chicago sports fan. Many still think Kerry Wood will win 20+ games in a season or the current Bears possess a similar attitude to the teams of Butkus or Singletary. I'm just baffled that anyone this far north of the border, with a squad of workmen like the Brewers to cheer on, still resorts to apologizing for the Cubs and their well-heeled fans.

Wrigley is a pretty place to see a game, certainly better than the dump where my Twins toil. Of course, a couple of World Series banners can really bring a room together.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:06 am

jjoyce wrote:The entirety of Wrigley Field equals the "yuppie section." Maybe it was too warm for a sweater so, instead, the crowd was in its popped polo collars.

It's alright... I'm familiar with the tunnel vision of your average Chicago sports fan. Many still think Kerry Wood will win 20+ games in a season or the current Bears possess a similar attitude to the teams of Butkus or Singletary. I'm just baffled that anyone this far north of the border, with a squad of workmen like the Brewers to cheer on, still resorts to apologizing for the Cubs and their well-heeled fans.

Wrigley is a pretty place to see a game, certainly better than the dump where my Twins toil. Of course, a couple of World Series banners can really bring a room together.

So your answer is no, you haven't been to a game at Wrigley lately. Thought so...
Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:12 pm

Michael Patrick wrote:So your answer is no, you haven't been to a game at Wrigley lately. Thought so...

Define "lately."

I was there three years ago. Has it changed since then? Did Chip, Trip and Flip and their Lincoln Park trixie girlfriends suddenly stop parking their BMWs for $30 a pop in Wrigleyville lots and sashaying down Sheffield just in time for the bottom of the third?
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:17 pm

jjoyce wrote:Did Chip, Trip and Flip and their Lincoln Park trixie girlfriends suddenly stop parking their BMWs for $30 a pop in Wrigleyville lots and sashaying down Sheffield just in time for the bottom of the third?

I have a friend who lives with his fiancee in Lincoln Park, and I am going to LOVE referring to them this way from now on.

Thank you.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Oprah » Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:52 pm

jjoyce wrote:It just kills me that a noted and respectable man of the people, drinker of Berghoff and Packer fan like nevermore could root for the north siders.

Real men of the people drink Old Style, not Berghoff.

Berghoff : Old Style :: Sweater-Around-The-Shoulders : Tanktop
Oprah
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:36 pm

I'm a Democrat. If I haven't been trained to hang with Gold-Coasters by now...

But seriously, there are a lot more of us Packer/Cub fans out there than you know. We can spot each other across rooms - living the life where we hate our fellow Cub fans during the football season and always being looked at crookedly by our fellow Packer fans when we start talking about baseball. It's very weird.

The story's pretty simple and the villain in it is Lyndon Johnson. Were it not for him and the low draft # my father drew, I would have probably been a Red Sock/Patriot fan unable to pronounce the letter "R". But the war landed dad in Grayslake, IL and I was born in the North-Chicago suburb of Waukegan (which technically makes me a FIB by birth - a fact mrs. nevermore relishes pointing out).

September 8, 1969
As I'm sliding down the birth canal, the then-first-place-by-2.5-games Cubs are at Shea Stadium preparing to take the field in the first of a two-game series against the then-second-place New York Mets. If you know your baseball history, you know what happened. If not, Google it. Let's just say that by the time my eyes opened up neither I nor my team was seeing first place. It was during these first few years that I was introduced to baseball and started a loyalty towards the home team.

Before my fourth birthday, my dad was out of the Navy and my parents did what I called "fixing the mistake of my birth" by relocating to Monroe, WI. There I was introduced to football and made allegiances towards the Packers. I also started developing pride in my hometown and the products it produces.

Drinking sixers you can still get for $6 doesn't make me part of the Sweater-Around-The-Shoulders crowd. What, you drink antifreeze?

Side Note: The Cubs won tonight with GWB in attendance. That makes them, to my recollection, 2-0 in games attended by the guy who gave us Sammy Sosa.

Other Side Note: Little quiet around here. Where's the beerwagon? C'mon Brewer fan! Represent!
Last edited by nevermore on Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:42 pm

And another thing, this thread was started to point out that the "TDPF nevermore curse"(TM) is still in full-effect. You'd better believe it.
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking