MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, September 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 73.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Will Clay Play?

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Will Clay Play?

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:35 am

Highly touted running back John Clay, from Racine, is suppose to be an incoming UW freshman this fall. But the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel claims he does not meet the NCAA's minimum academic requirements. In a half-hearted denial, Bret Bielema says that Clay is not ineligible yet. Doesn't sound good.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby tibor » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:47 am

I don't understand all the preseason hype (Bielemania?) about the team this year. Yeah, they're returning 9 on offense, but they lost their two most important players on that side of the ball. Their defense should be good, but will it be that much better than last year? Their schedule is tougher than last year, yet lots of "experts" are picking them as a top-10 team.

They might be a slightly better team than last year, but I think they'll have a worse record at the end of the season. The UM and OSU games should be great ones, win or lose.
tibor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:04 pm

tibor wrote:I don't understand all the preseason hype (Bielemania?) about the team this year. Yeah, they're returning 9 on offense, but they lost their two most important players on that side of the ball. Their defense should be good, but will it be that much better than last year? Their schedule is tougher than last year, yet lots of "experts" are picking them as a top-10 team.

They might be a slightly better team than last year, but I think they'll have a worse record at the end of the season. The UM and OSU games should be great ones, win or lose.

I'm afraid I don't follow your logic. Is their schedule that much harder this year than last? Are the teams we play this year still as good as they were last year? I'm thinking specifically of OSU, who will have a new starting QB and are missing one phenom WR; and Michigan, who lost some big talent on defense.

My point is that everyone from the top will be down this year from last. MU stands to lose the least, keeping their QB, RB and WR from last year. That being the case, the only part of your comment I can get behind is that their final record will be worse this year compared to last; everyone's will. But I'd be surprised if a title contender came out of the Big Ten this year, and if a Big Ten school goes undefeated, I'll eat my hat.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby tibor » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:21 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:Is their schedule that much harder this year than last?

Yeah, it is. Unless you think Ohio State and Northwestern are about the same level of competition.
tibor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:24 pm

One of the main reasons for optimism is the love we are getting from the national pundits. The Badgers have been ranked as high as #3 in the preseason magazines, after being ignored last year. Being ranked that high before the season starts makes it much, much easier to stay high in the rankings all season long and secure a BCS bowl. Look how long it took the Badgers to climb the polls last year.....This screams for the prevention of rankings until at least October 1, but that'll never happen.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:26 pm

tibor wrote:

Yeah, it is. Unless you think Ohio State and Northwestern are about the same level of competition.

My point is that OSU is nowhere near the same team it was last year. No Smith, no Ginn, no Gonzalez. Add that to the track record indicated in your linked article, and I'd say there's less to worry about with OSU than with Northwestern, who beat UW in 2003 and 2005.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby tibor » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:50 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:
tibor wrote:

My point is that OSU is nowhere near the same team it was last year. No Smith, no Ginn, no Gonzalez. Add that to the track record indicated in your linked article, and I'd say there's less to worry about with OSU than with Northwestern, who beat UW in 2003 and 2005.

Wow. So you think Northwestern is a tougher game than Ohio State. You get points for bold predictions, I guess.

Is Ohio State the same team they were last year? No, but they're close. That's the problem with the elite teams - sure they lose talent every year, but they're loaded with guys who are at the same level who can step right in. Michigan is the same way. They lose Tom Brady, or a Brian Griese, or a Drew Henson, they reload with a John Navarre or a Chad Henne.

Wisconsin has been able to do that with the running back and OL positions, but it hasn't happened across the board like it does at the elite programs.
tibor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby buckyor » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:58 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:I'd say there's less to worry about with OSU than with Northwestern, who beat UW in 2003 and 2005.

I think the Badgers lost their focus when faced with the rousing nightlife in Evanston. Either that, or they were distracted by all the talented babes. Yeah, that's it.
buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking