MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, September 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 51.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Sheets reacquainted with shelf

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Sheets reacquainted with shelf

Postby nevermore » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:20 pm

Brewer Playoff Hopes, RIP.

The biggest reason for the Brewers' resurgence and the one player that needed to stay healthy goes on the DL for the third season in a row.

I'm not gloating or running any junk here. That sucks and I feel bad for all of you Brewer fans.
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:57 pm

Uh, Yahoo News only has him listed on the 15-day DL (sewing finger) ... have you heard something more dire?
Yovani Gallardo is scheduled to take his starting spot. The kid is thrilling, and, like the rest of the Brewers, playoff bound.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:03 pm

Which means Capuano gets at least 3 more starts until he gets put in long relief. :(

I'm going wednesday, I think we get to watch Cappy. :evil:
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:18 pm

This from a guy who likes the cubs? Does the name Kerry Wood or perhaps Mark Prior ring a bell? Your just projecting your Cub-rage onto us. Shame.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Sheets reacquainted with shelf

Postby Marvell » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:37 pm

nevermore wrote:Brewer Playoff Hopes, RIP.

The biggest reason for the Brewers' resurgence and the one player that needed to stay healthy goes on the DL for the third season in a row.

I'm not gloating or running any junk here. That sucks and I feel bad for all of you Brewer fans.

Yeah, it's a real tragedy alright.

Guess they'll just have to bring up another young stud.

"Parra went 7-3 with a 2.63 ERA in 13 starts with Double-A Huntsville before a promotion to Nashville. He went 3-1 with a 1.74 ERA in four starts with the Sounds, including an 11-strikeout perfect game at Round Rock on June 25."

Better get used to some more lovable losing, nevermore - the Cubs are staring a Brewers dynasty in the face.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:46 pm

fisticuffs wrote:This from a guy who likes the cubs? Does the name Kerry Wood or perhaps Mark Prior ring a bell? Your just projecting your Cub-rage onto us. Shame.

The big difference, of course, is that Prior and Wood aren't part of the expectations for the team this year and haven't been a part of what's been going on in Chicago.

But hey, maybe the depth of the Brewers organization is so awesome that they can shelve their All-Star pitcher for 15+ games (meaning 3+ starts) in the middle of a tight pennant race because he has a boo-boo on his finger. Seriously, china dolls are starting to call out Ben Sheets for being fragile.

As for Sheets' replacement, who threw a perfect game in Triple-A: That and $2 will get you a cup of coffee in the bigs. I'm just glad to see the DPF beerwagon hasn't been driven into a ditch. I told you all this was going to get fun.
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:17 am

It's going to be a long season, should go down to the end.
I'd rather have Sheets in their than Parra.

Did you hear Cordero in the 9th last night? 12 pitches, 3k's, 1 guy hit 1 foul ball....back to early season form. The 9th inning took about 2 minutes.
Last edited by Paco on Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:45 am

Paco wrote:Did you hear Cordero in the 8th last night? 12 pitches, 3k's, 1 guy hit 1 foul ball....back to early season form. The 9th inning took about 2 minutes.

Yeah, I was sitting by my radio going "C'mon! Meltdown! Meltdown!" It sounded like there were a million people in Miller Park and Uecker's voice sounded an octave higher - like Pat Hughes' did an hour earlier.
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:49 am

No, only 36,000 fans, and they did it without throwing trash on the field too.

After Ramirez's double off Randy Messenger cleared the bases, fans began throwing garbage over the outfield fences from several directions in a strange response to their team taking the lead.
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:18 am

Paco wrote:No, only 36,000 fans, and they did it without throwing trash on the field too.

After Ramirez's double off Randy Messenger cleared the bases, fans began throwing garbage over the outfield fences from several directions in a strange response to their team taking the lead.

Yeah, that was weird. This is why we can't have nice things.
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:25 am

maybe some White Sox fans got in.
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:18 am

nevermore wrote:Brewer Playoff Hopes, RIP.

Remember what I said the other day about the Brewers All-Star game curse? I just hope this isn't only chapter one of that particular saga for the season.

They can survive without Sheets for a couple weeks. Both Gallardo or Villanueva can start, and they also called up Manny Parra and Grant Balfour, who both could also start. Frankly, the continued sucking of Chris Capuano is a bigger concern right now.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:29 pm

minicat wrote:Remember what I said the other day about the Brewers All-Star game curse? I just hope this isn't only chapter one of that particular saga for the season.

Your prescience is noted. Unfortunately, it just got worse...

MILWAUKEE -- Milwaukee Brewers pitcher Ben Sheets will miss four to six weeks after an ultrasound Monday revealed a partial tear of the tissue surrounding the tendon in his right middle finger.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/stor ... NHeadlines
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:51 am

nevermore wrote:MILWAUKEE -- Milwaukee Brewers pitcher Ben Sheets will miss four to six weeks after an ultrasound Monday revealed a partial tear of the tissue surrounding the tendon in his right middle finger.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/stor ... NHeadlines[/quote]

Yeah, they taunted us early yesterday with a story that fingergate was no big deal. Then, lo and behold, on the game broadcast they were talking about at least six weeks. Did someone pull Sheets' finger between morning and evening?

They also benched Weeks yesterday, which hopefully doesn't lead to a Ronnie Belliard-like angry complex and total collapse.

However, despite all the bad news, they managed to pick up another game on the Bartman Nine.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:03 am

The MRI came back with a tear, which they didn't know about when it first happened. They'll be ok.

Their home record is mind-boggling, way better than any other team in bball.....now if we could just beat the Nats, Bucs, etc on the road.
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking