MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Tuesday, January 27, 2015 |  Madison, WI: 25.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Sheets reacquainted with shelf

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Postby Marvell » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:55 am

I'll just remind everyone that nevermore is hardly a disinterested spectator in this matter, and his statements betray a certain degree of editorial bias.

As another has said, I'm more concerned about Capuano's continued sucking than I am about Sheets being out for a while. Suppan and Bush are both showing signs of being exactly what I hoped they would be - inning hogs who keep their E.R.A.'s in the 4.50 to 5.00 range, and give their team a chance to win the game each time out. Given the strength of the Brewer bullpen, that's all you really need - this is a team that's already won a lot of 5-4, 4-3 games, and is going to win a lot more.

Throw in the rapidly expanding pool of young arms (Gallardo, Villanueva, Vargas and now Parra), and I think that Mr. more's epitaph for the Brewers' playoff hopes is pitifully premature.

Tell it to me in October, buddy. 'Cause we're gonna be there.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:18 pm

The Cubs and the Brewers are very similar in that both franchises have longstanding reputations as perennial LOSERS. But don't worry, the Cubbies (aw, even their name is cute) will always make people get all nostalgic, gushy and romantic. The Cubs get ALL the love. The Brewers get squat for love and respect, and quite frankly they deserved very little of each for the majority of their existence. But what can ya do? Ya can't help who ya love! So quit your fuckin' whining nevermore cuz no matter how shitty & underachieving the Cubs are you'll always be part of the "in" crowd.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:30 pm

I worry about Johnny Estrada's well-known inability to throw out basestealers. If the Crew makes the playoffs I could see that costing 'em.

Also, another concern is that the only hitter over .300 right now is rookie Ryan Braun.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:34 pm

supaunknown wrote:So quit your fuckin' whining nevermore

Link, please.
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:45 pm

nevermore wrote:
supaunknown wrote:So quit your fuckin' whining nevermore

Link, please.

Waaah waaah ... is that all you ever do? :P

Honestly, I appreciate the way you add fuel to the fire of the Cubs-Brewers rivalry. Someday your overpaid underachieving team will be worthy of true praise. Maybe your childrens's children's children will be alive to see it.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:00 pm

Here's why the Cubs won't win jack this year:

[from ESPN)]
... a day after new catcher Jason Kendall struggled in his Cubs debut and was booed on several occasions after being acquired in a Monday trade with the Oakland Athletics.[/quote]

You stay classy, Chicago.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:14 pm

minicat wrote:
Here's why the Cubs won't win jack this year:

[from ESPN)]
... a day after new catcher Jason Kendall struggled in his Cubs debut and was booed on several occasions after being acquired in a Monday trade with the Oakland Athletics.

What's your problem with the "Wrigley Field Welcome"?

Obviously you didn't watch the game. Kendall's performance WAS boo-worthy: dropped relay throw, dropped foul that lead to the inevitable base-hit that was later converted to a run, and an 0-3 at the plate.

I think the guy (who, as of today, is the highest-paid player on the Oakland A's payroll AND the highest-paid player on the Pittsburgh Pirates payroll - a fact I think is hilarious) was just too jacked-up after flying cross-country to join a playoff-bound team. He should have sat last night and played today. He'll be fine and is already better than Barrett.

I'll look to Miller Park for classiness. We'll see how little booing there will be after Yost has to make a third-inning visit to the mound to yank one the shell-shocked rookies that your team will have to be throwing out there all the times between now and September that would have otherwise been your staff ace.

See that beerwagoners? I ended the post by bringing it back to topic - which is that your china doll of a pitcher is leaving your team in the lurch. Again.
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:17 pm

nevermore wrote:
minicat wrote:Here's why the Cubs won't win jack this year:

[from ESPN)]
... a day after new catcher Jason Kendall struggled in his Cubs debut and was booed on several occasions after being acquired in a Monday trade with the Oakland Athletics.

What's your problem with the "Wrigley Field Welcome"?

Obviously you didn't watch the game. Kendall's performance WAS boo-worthy: dropped relay throw, dropped foul that lead to the inevitable base-hit that was later converted to a run, and an 0-3 at the plate.

I think the guy (who, as of today, is the highest-paid player on the Oakland A's payroll AND the highest-paid player on the Pittsburgh Pirates payroll - a fact I think is hilarious) was just too jacked-up after flying cross-country to join a playoff-bound team. He should have sat last night and played today. He'll be fine and is already better than Barrett.

I'll look to Miller Park for classiness. We'll see how little booing there will be after Yost has to make a third-inning visit to the mound to yank one the shell-shocked rookies that your team will have to be throwing out there all the times between now and September that would have otherwise been your staff ace.[/quote]

I think Brewers fans would at least wait until after a player's FIRST GAME with the team to start booing him.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:21 pm

minicat wrote:I think Brewers fans would at least wait until after a player's FIRST GAME with the team to start booing him.

WELCOME TO MILWAUKEE GRANT BALFOUR!!!

Now, I was listening to the radio and it appeared pretty quiet, but there was a kind of noise in the background that happened at the end of the top of the eight. That would be...?
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby buckyor » Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:26 pm

As long as Sheets can come back healthy within 6 weeks, the Brewers' will be fine. If he's in the infirmary through the end of the season, though, that would be a problem.

I gotta say I'm not real comfortable with a guy in my bullpen named "Balfour." Why doesn't he just change his name to something innocuous, like, say, Jim Bouton?
buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:46 am

there was no booing last night, since it was so late, about 10% got up and left.

He's come back from surgery and other crap. He pitched good for 2 hitters, then lost it. Just like T-bow and Coco do on occasion.

Bob Walk was a pitcher. Walked a lot too.
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:46 am

Paco wrote:there was no booing last night, since it was so late, about 10% got up and left.

I thought I heard some on the radio - but it was more of a smattering.

I don't think Grant Balfour is a bad name - but I also watch the NHL.
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:04 am

nevermore wrote:
Paco wrote:there was no booing last night, since it was so late, about 10% got up and left.

I thought I heard some on the radio - but it was more of a smattering.

Nope. No booing. I bet he gets it if he has another bad game, though.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:57 am

But BigHead Mench did though, when he tripped over the grass, starting the 2 run inning.

Then he batted next inning, I said to my nephew, put your glove on because he better hit a home run to make up for that error, and the next pitch..right in LF.
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:50 am

Paco wrote:But BigHead Mench did though, when he tripped over the grass, starting the 2 run inning.

Then he batted next inning, I said to my nephew, put your glove on because he better hit a home run to make up for that error, and the next pitch..right in LF.

Why he hasn't been traded is a mystery to me ... other than the fact that his value's pretty low due to the whole sucking thing.

I was yelling at the TV last night at Brothers Three when I saw Graffanino run out to left field. Sometimes Yost's thought patterns seem like something from a Fellini movie.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking