MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, July 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 78.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

doggie swimming?

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

doggie swimming?

Postby hi, i'm new here » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:09 pm

hi all.

i'm wondering where you dog-owners take your dogs swimming. i know we have lots of nice parks by our lakes, but most of them have signs stating that dogs aren't allowed.

i am tempted to ignore the rules and take the dog to james madison, where I've seen other dogs swimming, but first i'd like to ask you friendly folks if you know any nice places to take your dogs.

thanks!
hi, i'm new here

Postby Marvell » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:03 pm

When I'm riding my bike I often see people letting their dogs swim in Wingra Creek from the banks next to that dog park that's across the creek from the Goodman softball fields.

Whether this is legal or not, I'm not sure.

Oh shit. Did I just have a Rich Albertoni moment?
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby meowzamusic » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:39 pm

We always took my late woof to the Yahara Heights dog park which is up at the intersection of Hwy 113 and Hwy M. There's a nice exercise area up and a huge pond where lots and lots of dog jump off the dock and play in the water. My dog wasn't all that keen on anything more than wading but there were plenty that were apeshit about fetching stuff and being generally insane about things.
meowzamusic
Forum God/Goddess

Postby synergymus » Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:33 pm

I like to take my dog to Gov. Dodge State park. It is about 40 min away and has two lakes both have a dog picnic area and a dog beach right next to the people beach. Here is a good website with all the dog "friendly" state parks

http://www.hikewithyourdog.com/States/Wisconsin.html

another good place to go, although it isn't a designated dog swim area, is at the end of picnic point. If you walk down to the end by the "sandy" beach, sometimes there will people swimming there. I usually will then walk in the water west down the shore away from people and let my dog play down there. I've never had a problem with that.

Hope that helps
synergymus

Postby tibor » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:47 am

meowzamusic wrote:We always took my late woof to the Yahara Heights dog park which is up at the intersection of Hwy 113 and Hwy M.

Great spot. There's even a ramp on the dock so the dogs can get back onto the dock easily.
tibor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:58 am

tibor wrote:
meowzamusic wrote:We always took my late woof to the Yahara Heights dog park which is up at the intersection of Hwy 113 and Hwy M.

Great spot. There's even a ramp on the dock so the dogs can get back onto the dock easily.

My friends the Weazners always take their shephards boating with them and let them swim. The dogs (brother and sister) wear special doggie life preservers that have a handle so the owners can snag 'em out of the water.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking