MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 50.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Postby nevermore » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:18 pm

About fucking time. Now our long national nightmare is over and we can move on.
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:32 pm

How long will it be before someone comes in here and whines that the subject of this thread is unclear? (I'm not, btw)
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:05 am

Yeah, I knew EXACTLY what it meant... I agree, I'm glad it's just over. /How/ long ago was it that he hit those two against the Cubbies?

I bet his teammates are the happiest...
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:47 am

Now his huge fuckin' head can go back to normal.
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby magic moose » Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:41 am

Maybe the head thing wasn't roids?

Like the Grinch ya know. I mean, maybe he spent so long trying to take the fun out of it for all the whos... then one day, he saw Cindy in the stands... and felt sorry for the little baseball loving whos... so he puzzled til his little puzzler was sore... then proceeded to hit a shitload of homers.

"It was said his head grew 2 hat sizes that day."

Oh yeah, I'm glad it's over too.
magic moose
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Steve Vokers » Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:49 am

magic moose wrote:Maybe the head thing wasn't roids?

It wasn't steroids, it was human growth hormone that caused his head to swell. It's a well-documented side effect of HGH use.

If you compare pictures of Bonds early in his career to current pictures, the difference in the size of his head is striking. I haven't heard a plausible explanation for this happening EXCEPT through the use of HGH. You can make muscles bigger by lifting weights, but not your head.
Steve Vokers
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:10 am

Well, it's either HGH or he's a freak in a Dr Seuss book. I think the former. 74 homers my ass.

I love the guy who had a 3 foot cardboard asterisk he wanted to bring into Dodger stadium last week. They wouldn't let him. His buddy had a huge syringe.
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:37 am

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:44 am

The talk radio subject of the day is that steroids aren't really all that different from cortisone shots, right, and the real reason why Bonds is a pariah is that he's a chump. A jerk. A massive ego, etc.

In other words, the inflation of his head happened, albeit metaphorically, decades ago. In the end, he's not much different from Ty Cobb or Ted Williams (renowned jerks both) and closer to Pete Rose.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby GenieU » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:29 pm

As much as Barry is the poster child for almost everything that is wrong with baseball there are still a few things to keep in perspective:

His use steroids or HGH (or whatever it was)is only the tip of the iceberg in pro sports these days-don't kid yourself-just look at the average NFL lineman for bizare cases of "Gigantism"...

Has anyone ever really looked at how many homers are credited to Babe Ruth because of the short right field in Yankee stadium? The "House that Ruth built" has the New York fix all over it.

You can hate the individual to your heart's content but MLB as an institution not only allowed but even encouraged this to happen when the sport's popularity went down after the '94 strike.

Lastly Mark McGuire was also stand-offish and unfriendly while setting his record but no-one harps on what a colossal jerk he is...
GenieU
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:45 pm

GenieU wrote:Lastly Mark McGuire was also stand-offish and unfriendly while setting his record but no-one harps on what a colossal jerk he is...

Not true. All you have to do is look at the vote totals for getting into the Hall of Fame this year (he got less than a third required for entry) to see how widely disregarded he is.
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:00 pm

As a diehard Red Sox fan and hater of all things Yankee it pains me to point this out. Every baseball historian I have read thinks that Babe Ruth was shortchanged on home runs due to the size of his park. Straight away center was 460 feet! The dimensions have changed over the years since Babe has played: www.andrewclem.com/Baseball/YankeeStadium.html

Also, if I'm not mistaken, back in Babe's day a home run had to LAND in fair territory. If you hooked a ball around the right field pole and it landed foul, then it was a foul ball. A more credible argument against the Babe would be that he played during the era of segregation and hence wasn't playing against all of the best talent of his time(not to mention the influx of Hispanic/Asian talent). Or, you could state how the addition of multiple relievers in today's game makes it that much harder for a hitter to get a good read on a pitcher. I guess the point is that it's impossible to compare statistics across generations.

Now, excuse me while I go slam my head against the wall for taking the Babe's side.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby GenieU » Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:08 pm

nevermore wrote:
GenieU wrote:Lastly Mark McGuire was also stand-offish and unfriendly while setting his record but no-one harps on what a colossal jerk he is...

Not true. All you have to do is look at the vote totals for getting into the Hall of Fame this year (he got less than a third required for entry) to see how widely disregarded he is.

McGuire has the "out" of having used Androgen before it was a no-no...

But the Bond's saga seems tailor made for proffesional cynics like Jim Rome-there is nothing white guys love to hate more than an overpaid, ungracious, uppity, African American (although any non white will surfice) superstar that is tainted with a scandal.

A-Rod at age 32 is expected to possibly eclipse 756 if he can stick around long enough...Although one hears that he wanted the fan who caught number 600 to just give him back the ball! Possibly valued at as much as 30K! What a cheap prick....
GenieU
Forum God/Goddess

Postby GenieU » Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:15 pm

Now, excuse me while I go slam my head against the wall for taking the Babe's side.

Slam away. Only a small number of foul balls are turned into home runs by the addition of foul poles. Huge parks also made inside the park home runs more likely. Ironicly Ty Cobb hated Babe Ruth for ruining the strategy of the game and turning it into a cheap spectacle...

But the main point is that Ruth was a lefty and the dimentions were tampered with to benefit him and no one holds this against the man or the myth.
GenieU
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:58 pm

I saw 399 & 400 by A-rod 2 yrs ago in Milw. 399 landed about 10 seats away from us, same row. The guy who caught it threw it back on the field, not knowing it was 399. Someone erroneously told him it was 400, he turned white as a sheet.
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking