MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 59.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

The inevitable Rockies v. Red Sox World Series thread...huh?

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Who will win the 2007 World Series?

Boston Red Sox
46%
Colorado Rockies
23%
Sheppy
31%

Total votes : 13

The inevitable Rockies v. Red Sox World Series thread...huh?

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:30 pm

Yeah, who'd'a thunk this matchup at the beginning of the year? Not any of thesechumps. Will Leitch even had Rockies manager Clint Hurdle getting the axe before the end of the season.

I'm fascinated with Josh Beckett on the mound. Dude just looks like a cannon when he delivers the ball. Total body control, calm, but like a friggin animal when the ball leaves his hand.

And who doesn't like a little guy? Any Brewers fan should root for the Rockies just on principle.

Chatter, picks, taunts, thoughts. Go for it.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:54 pm

In baseball I always root for the team with the lowest payroll except for Kansas City. Those bastards can burn in hell.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:04 pm

I'm rooting for the Sox because I'll fucking slit my wrists if that gascan LaTroy Hawkins gets a ring.
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:06 pm

Schilling! Was a hero to most, but he never meant sh#t to me!

Seriously, I'm rooting against the Sox for one reason only: Schilling. Oh, and his fake blood, too.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:08 pm

The Colorado story is so amazing so far, I would love to see them finish it off. And I see them doing it, too, but it will probably take all 7 games, maybe 6.

The intriguing thing about this series, though, is that either team /could/ perhaps win in 4 or 5-- the Rockies have won 20-something of their last 20-something + 1 games, an unprecedented end-of-season run. The Red Sox have pitching and hitting, though, and if it all comes together at once, look out.
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:08 pm

Schilling is inactive for the Series with an injury. I think He would still get a ring though but won't be contributing.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:10 pm

My fault got him confused with the Knuckleballer Wakefield. Hey they're both old farts.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:14 pm

massimo wrote:The intriguing thing about this series, though, is that either team /could/ perhaps win in 4 or 5-- the Rockies have won 20-something of their last 20-something + 1 games, an unprecedented end-of-season run. The Red Sox have pitching and hitting, though, and if it all comes together at once, look out.

Check out the team stats. The Rockies lead the Sox in average, hits, runs, home runs, singles, and triples. That's 6 of 10 categories. But Boston's got the lead in pitching.

This should be a very even series.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:29 pm

I'll root for Rockies, keep it in the NL and I like the fact that a different team would have won the Series every year this century.

If Becket pitches 1,4 & 7 I think Boston should win. If he just does 2 Colo has a good chance. 20 out of 21 is pretty good--hopefully the long layoff won't hurt them.
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:35 pm

Now here's a true-blue fan:

RUDY THE YANKEE FLIPPER
MASS.-KISSER ROOTS FOR RED SOX
By CARL CAMPANILE and DAN KADISON
October 24, 2007 -- Call him Judas Giuliani.

Yankee fanatic Rudy Giuliani revealed yesterday that he is backing the hated Boston Red Sox in the World Series.

Giuliani - who has a sign on his desk boasting he's the "Yankee Fan-In-Chief" - dropped the bombshell while campaigning in Boston and New Hampshire.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/10242007/ne ... lipper.htm
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:40 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:Check out the team stats. The Rockies lead the Sox in average, hits, runs, home runs, singles, and triples. That's 6 of 10 categories. But Boston's got the lead in pitching.

This should be a very even series.

Oh, I hear you there. I think it should and likely will be a very even series. However, if either team were to just steamroll the other, I'd be surprised, but not necessarily shocked.

Personally, those season-long stats mean nothing to me. Go to the same page and look at the 2007 Playoffs stats. A completely different story... the Sox are hitting the cover off the ball, and the Rockies pitching is lights out.
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:42 pm

jjoyce wrote:Schilling! Was a hero to most, but he never meant sh#t to me!

Seriously, I'm rooting against the Sox for one reason only: Schilling. Oh, and his fake blood, too.

Got any proof on that fake blood? You could make your favorite charity very, very happy.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18328484/
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:54 pm

Our Father, who art at Fenway...

Baseball be thy game,
Thy kingdom come,
World Series needs to be won,
On Earth, then on to the Cask 'n' Flagon.
Give us this day, a perfect Papi,
And forgive us our losses,
As we forgive those,
Like Bill Buckner.
And lead us not, into desperation,
But deliver us from any losses.
For thine is the Power,
And the Glory,
To beat the Rockies,
Forever and ever.....the Yankees suck.
Amen
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby hi, i'm new here » Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:56 pm

O.J. wrote:Our Father, who art at Fenway...
Amen

Interestingly enough, The Rockies think god is on their side.

The team's chief executive is a born-again Christian. So is the general manager and the team coach. Their two star players, along with many other members of their regular line-up, are not only believers but attend team-organised Bible studies.

The team doesn't like to talk about it much – mainly because the overlords of Major League Baseball don't think it's good for business – but they have an explicit policy to recruit as many Christian ball players as they can.

In other words, the Rockies – uniquely, even in a country as religion-obsessed as America – play faith-based baseball. And, in their view, God just rewarded them – big time.
hi, i'm new here

Postby buckyor » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:03 pm

jjoyce wrote:Schilling! Was a hero to most, but he never meant sh#t to me!

I can't stand Schilling either, although I tolerated him when he and RJ carried the DBacks over the Yankees in '01. A friend of mine went to HS with him back in Phoenix (Shadow Mountain), and tells me he was a prick back then too.

Boston fans are obnoxious too. Incredibly enthusiastic, extremely pessimistic, and yet not nearly as knowledgeable as, say, Cardinals fans.

Still, I gotta go with the Sox. Big Papi and Manny are studs at the plate, Mike Lowell is one of the best players no one knows, Dustin Pedroia is a fellow Devil, and Coco Crisp is Boston's favorite breakfast cereal.

I wonder if they'll even let Eric Gagne in the stadium.
buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking