MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, August 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 72.0° F  Light Rain
Collapse Photo Bar

The inevitable Rockies v. Red Sox World Series thread...huh?

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Who will win the 2007 World Series?

Boston Red Sox
46%
Colorado Rockies
23%
Sheppy
31%

Total votes : 13

Postby nevermore » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:09 pm

buckyor wrote:Boston fans are obnoxious too. Incredibly enthusiastic, extremely pessimistic, and yet not nearly as knowledgeable as, say, Cardinals fans.

:lol:
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:55 pm

Well, if the Rockies win, it certainly won't be a sweep at this point. Sheesh.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:36 pm

Well, I guess they had a lot of 'lose' built up in their systems. I mean, the NL can't be THIS bad, right?
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby habari » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:45 am

massimo wrote:Well, I guess they had a lot of 'lose' built up in their systems. I mean, the NL can't be THIS bad, right?

That statement is completely asinine. I'm not going to go there, I just wanted to point out that the homeplate ump, Magruder, evidently carries around Josh Becket's jock for him. This is the second game in the playoffs where you have macgruder in a fox "sounds of the game" segment talking to becket on a first name basis. "Josh! just wanted to let you know I told the guys to give the balls an extra rub before they bring'em out! Wanna go to red lobster after the game?" And this is the same guy who calls the horse shit balk in the 6th, saying he stepped toward home instead of first, when clearly that wasn't the case. Or atleast clearly it wasn't macgruder's business to say so. Horseshit, I say.
habari
Forum Addict

Postby O.J. » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:07 am

Giddyup
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:22 am

habari wrote:
massimo wrote:Well, I guess they had a lot of 'lose' built up in their systems. I mean, the NL can't be THIS bad, right?

That statement is completely asinine. I'm not going to go there, I just wanted to point out that the homeplate ump, Magruder, evidently carries around Josh Becket's jock for him. This is the second game in the playoffs where you have macgruder in a fox "sounds of the game" segment talking to becket on a first name basis. "Josh! just wanted to let you know I told the guys to give the balls an extra rub before they bring'em out! Wanna go to red lobster after the game?" And this is the same guy who calls the horse shit balk in the 6th, saying he stepped toward home instead of first, when clearly that wasn't the case. Or atleast clearly it wasn't macgruder's business to say so. Horseshit, I say.

The balk was in the 5th. Quit trying to rewrite history. :roll:
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:40 am

A balk? A balk?!? You're crying about a balk that was called when the Sox were already up 6-1? A balk that was called with a runner on first with two out? A balk?!? Is that balk call the reason why what followed was a double, a double, a single, a double, a walk, a single, a pitching change, a walk, a walk, a walk, a pitching change, and then the third out?

The Rockies couldn't hit shit if they were wading in a cesspool last night and even got blanked by Eric Gagne! And you're crying about a called balk during the longest half-inning in history. Wow...
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:49 am

I only saw a few innings, Eric Gagne hasn't blanked anyone all year.

You know what this means??? Boston is up 1-0. that's it. Colo still needs to win at least 1 in Boston, just like before. Milw was up 1-0 in '82 after pounding the Cards 12-0 in game 1. They lost the series.

This ain't over. Boston is sure on a hitting rampage though.
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:53 am

Let's also consider the following:

1.The Red Sox are the only team in postseason history to score double digits in 3 straight games.

2.The Rockies gave up more runs(9) in a span of 14 hitters than they did in the entire NLCS(8)

3.The Red Sox tied the extra-base hit record for the postseason before the 5th inning ended.

4.Jeff Francis threw 103 pitches in 4 innings; it took the Rockies 180 pitches to get 18 outs.

5.Combined, Ortiz and Ramirez have been on base 58 times in 101 plate appearances in the postseason.

I think the outcome had a bit more to do with the Red Sox having one of the hottest and most patient offenses to ever reach the World Series combined with a lights-out pitcher who couldn't be in more of a zone than he is right now.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:42 am

Love the poll and all the posts, keep swigging the hatorade!

1. Saying St. Louis fans are more knowledgeable than RS fans is laughable, everyone knows we have the best fans in baseball. Period. We are pessimistic, yes, thats why we're smart. Take a look at the K-men and the signs alone...you've got to be kidding me. StL can't even come up with creative ways to cheer for their own team aside from praising Jesus and loving juiced overrated DHs. I'll take 10 random RS fans out of the stands any day and put them up against 10 random Cards fans. We'd win in baseball knowledge, pessimism, enthusiasm, drinking and fighting. They'd beat us on praying...

2. The crew chief and umpires call all the players by their names. All MLbaseballs are rubbed up with mud before each game, he's just telling JB that the clubhouse attendants are rubbing them up some more because of the rain. I'm sure he told Francis the same thing and called him Jeff. But since you're such a baseball fan you already knew that. And yes, that was a balk. From the reverse angle, he was clearly stepping toward home, fooling the runner. But you already knew that since you're so smart.

3. Beckett doesn't need the umpire to call him by his first name to dominate...just look at the stats. He's Bob Gibson, Hershiser, and Koufax all rolled into one. And his regular season performance wasn't half bad either. Willing to bet that all the writers who voted for CC in the AL Cy Young are regretting it now.

4. Francis is a good pitcher, but he was clearly affected by the layoff, they hit him all over the ballpark. It wasn't just a lucky bounce or a bad call. If thats the best SP the Rox have to offer, I'm not exactly quaking in my boots.

5. Part of the reason that the Rockies are in this WS is that they haven't faced an offense or pitching like the Red Sox in a long time. Sweeping Philly and the Dbacks was not even close to a test. NL pitching stats do not match up with what a Boston, Cleveland, or NY could deliver offensively, and Red Sox pitching is pretty damn good. If you think that the Rockies pitching will dominate because of what happened in the NLDS and NLCS, you don't know much about baseball. Gagne blanked them. Repeat, Gagne blanked them. Just wait until they get a load of Papelbon...

6. Schilling is a blowhard, but he's ours (at least for now). His postseason numbers speak for themselves, and he loves to be hated, so keep it up!

7. The poll is not who do you "want" to win the WS, its who do you "think" will win. Act accordingly. I'd rather root against the team that claims God is on their side, than for the team with the lowest payroll, but thats just me.

8. If the Rockies win, I will be happy for Helton. If anyone deserves it, its him. Brad Hawpe and Hurdle were both supercool to fans at Miller park this summer, came right up to the dugout seats, signed and chatted with us. I still think my Sox win in six.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby GenieU » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:22 pm

I'd like to see the Rockies show up, at least a little.

But ultimatly it's going to be all Red Sox. The Sox have all the Hype, Swagger and Larger-than-Life Superstars...the Rockies have a mere 17 years of thin mountain air "tradition" and probably the Rookie of the year-it aint going to get them real far...

On the other hand, Cleveland didn't exactly go away easily. The Sox starters (Aside from Beckett) could be streaky,Although putting junkballer Tim Wakefield aside has got be the right move. Sox in 5.
GenieU
Forum God/Goddess

Postby buckyor » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:45 pm

boston_jeff wrote:1. Saying St. Louis fans are more knowledgeable than RS fans is laughable, everyone knows we have the best fans in baseball. Period. We are pessimistic, yes, thats why we're smart. Take a look at the K-men and the signs alone...you've got to be kidding me. StL can't even come up with creative ways to cheer for their own team aside from praising Jesus and loving juiced overrated DHs. I'll take 10 random RS fans out of the stands any day and put them up against 10 random Cards fans. We'd win in baseball knowledge, pessimism, enthusiasm, drinking and fighting. They'd beat us on praying...

It's laughable maybe to Red Sox fans, whose knowledge of baseball exceeds that of the DBacks and the Rockies fans, but not much more. Most Cards (and Dodgers) fans forget more about baseball by the time they're twelve than the average Sox fan will ever know in his/her entire life. Hell, even the Brewers fans know more. Yes, Sox fans are enthusiastic, but so are Rockies fans- this week. I suppose that they probably do drink and fight more as well, but I probably wouldn't be bragging about it.

Sox fans are baseball's version of Bears fans- enthusiastic, soft-headed, short-tempered, drunk, and incredibly easy to parody.
buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:14 pm

You just described Cubs fans too.

ooops....except for Nevermore!
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:19 pm

buckyor wrote:
boston_jeff wrote:1. Saying St. Louis fans are more knowledgeable than RS fans is laughable, everyone knows we have the best fans in baseball. Period. We are pessimistic, yes, thats why we're smart. Take a look at the K-men and the signs alone...you've got to be kidding me. StL can't even come up with creative ways to cheer for their own team aside from praising Jesus and loving juiced overrated DHs. I'll take 10 random RS fans out of the stands any day and put them up against 10 random Cards fans. We'd win in baseball knowledge, pessimism, enthusiasm, drinking and fighting. They'd beat us on praying...

It's laughable maybe to Red Sox fans, whose knowledge of baseball exceeds that of the DBacks and the Rockies fans, but not much more. Most Cards (and Dodgers) fans forget more about baseball by the time they're twelve than the average Sox fan will ever know in his/her entire life. Hell, even the Brewers fans know more. Yes, Sox fans are enthusiastic, but so are Rockies fans- this week. I suppose that they probably do drink and fight more as well, but I probably wouldn't be bragging about it.

Sox fans are baseball's version of Bears fans- enthusiastic, soft-headed, short-tempered, drunk, and incredibly easy to parody.

Arguing whether the Red Sox or Cardinals have more knowledgeable fans is a lesson in futility. Both fan bases are well-above average. Throwing the Dodgers into the equation is idiotic. Using the old "we've forgotten more than you'll ever know" line was laughable to me when my high school baseball coach tried to use it; when used by someone who considers that Mike Lowell is one of the best players "no one" knows of proves that you're the baseball neophyte on this forum.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:47 pm

Exactly, comparing fan bases is asinine, but fun nevertheless. Buckyor obviously doesn't know shit, so I'm not offended, just laughing. Ask anyone in baseball who has the best fans, and they'll tell you. Cards fans are great, but I'm sorry there is no comparison. They get props because they have the second most WS titles, but nothing about their fans screams fan or superior knowledge to me. They are highly touted for being "respectful." What the fuck is that? I'd rather have a guy that can passionately boo in the stands than a bunch of "respectful" Christians. Justin Morneau will tell you, he told ESPN the mag, and he's a Twin. The Indians and Angels will tell you too.

Yanks have the second best fans for sure, and I hate them all. Face it, East coast baseball is superior and it always will be. Phillies and Mets fans are more passionate than Cards fans. Dodgers? You are obviously a fucking idiot if you put Dodgers and the word "fans" in the same sentence. Buckyor, keep forgetting, obviously your baseball knowledge is for shit. Read the rest of my post, mine speaks for itself. Open for baseball trivia and statis pro challenges anytime, anyplace. I'll take you to school.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking