MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 63.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Packers vs. Cowboys on the NFL Network

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Packers vs. Cowboys on the NFL Network

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:43 pm

Do you plan to watch Thursdays game? If so, where? I don't have satellite, so I'll probably walk down to the Big Ten Pub.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:52 am

I'll go to the closest bar to my house, whichever has it. Wilsons?

Whatever you do, don't listen to it on NFL Network. Bryant Gumble is the worst play-by-play man I've ever heard. Like sticking shish-kabob skewers in your ears.
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Steve Vokers » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:58 am

I lucked out and switched to Dish Network before the season. It was luck because I had no idea that I'd need the NFL Network and Big Ten Network to get games that would be unavailable other wise...
Steve Vokers
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Learned » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:41 am

Steve Vokers wrote:I lucked out and switched to Dish Network before the season. It was luck because I had no idea that I'd need the NFL Network and Big Ten Network to get games that would be unavailable other wise...

Sweet. Can I bring anything?
Learned
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Steve Vokers » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:37 am

Learned wrote:
Steve Vokers wrote:I lucked out and switched to Dish Network before the season. It was luck because I had no idea that I'd need the NFL Network and Big Ten Network to get games that would be unavailable other wise...

Sweet. Can I bring anything?

I prefer blondes, but a redhead would do in a pinch.
Steve Vokers
Forum God/Goddess

Postby square » Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:10 pm

sweet, i already have a bottle of Makers, you bring the rocks.
square
Forum Addict

Postby Stu Levitan » Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:47 pm

Paco wrote:Whatever you do, don't listen to it on NFL Network. Bryant Gumble is the worst play-by-play man I've ever heard. Like sticking shish-kabob skewers in your ears.

And Mike Lepay is just about the best, certainly way better than a market this size could expect. So do the home-town thing and listen to the game on WIBA-AM, 1310.
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:56 pm

Stu Levitan wrote:
Paco wrote:Whatever you do, don't listen to it on NFL Network. Bryant Gumble is the worst play-by-play man I've ever heard. Like sticking shish-kabob skewers in your ears.

And Mike Lepay is just about the best, certainly way better than a market this size could expect. So do the home-town thing and listen to the game on WIBA-AM, 1310.

I would love to listen to Lepay; however, the fact that the audio precedes the television broadcast makes that rather difficult.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Learned » Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:58 pm

Learned
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:29 pm

O.J. wrote:
Stu Levitan wrote:

I would love to listen to Lepay; however, the fact that the audio precedes the television broadcast makes that rather difficult.

It's MATT Lepay, and he does Badger broadcasts.

I was in this bar watching the Packers, and they had 2 different types of tvs(plasma and HDTV?), and one was about 2 seconds in front of the other. that was weird.
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:48 pm

Paco wrote:I would love to listen to Lepay; however, the fact that the audio precedes the television broadcast makes that rather difficult.

It's MATT Lepay, and he does Badger broadcasts.
quote]

My mistakes --you're right on all accounts. Shows you what being on vacation too long will do.
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:37 pm

The trouble with watching a game on the tube while listening to play by play on the radio is that radio is sometimes a second or two ahead of the televised action. I don't want to know if someone caught or dropped a pass before I can see it for myself. That somehow spoils things.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby aaronetc » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:17 pm

Paco wrote:I was in this bar watching the Packers, and they had 2 different types of tvs(plasma and HDTV?), and one was about 2 seconds in front of the other. that was weird.

I can't tell you why, but channels 15 and 47 both have their HD broadcasts a couple seconds behind their analog.

Also, I hear tell that there are illicit ways to watch live streaming NFL games online.
aaronetc
Forum Addict

Postby Shipley » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:35 pm

I can't tell you why, but channels 15 and 47 both have their HD broadcasts a couple seconds behind their analog.

HDTV takes a lot more prosessing power to queue up and will sometimes lag. your TV may also lag behind live a few seconds. the set will usually compensate for this by delaying the audio so that it all syncs up in the end. meanwhile analog TV screams out without delay. as chip speed increase, this will be less of an issue.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:35 pm

Well, Thursday is my birthday, so I'm heading straight for the Gritty.
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking