MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, September 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 68.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Packers vs. Cowboys on the NFL Network

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Postby SombreroFallout » Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:48 am

Kettle o' Fish
SombreroFallout
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Darwin » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:09 pm

Regent St Retreat has the game.
Last edited by Darwin on Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darwin

Postby GenericUsername » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:25 pm

Old time radio theater of the mind for me. No cable, no dish, cheaper drinks and snacks at home, and I can still spend time with my daughter playing games and going over homework while listening for those exciting moments that matter.

Oh yeah, it's the NFL's right to do what they want with their properties as well as the cable company's. Since entertainment is not an inherent right, it is up to you in how to spend your entertainment dollars. I pick up and drop cable for a month every few years for the men's and women's World Cup. That's worth something to me. 24/7/365 NFL channel, nor 6 shopping channels, are not.

Go Pack!
GenericUsername

Postby Learned » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:38 pm

Just make sure you're listening at the beginning of the broadcast for Wayne to tell you who is going Left to Right and vice versa.
Learned
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:38 pm

The NFL is entertainment, and when the entertainment is not accessible, what do you think will happen to their product?
Same with BTN. I used to care a lot about the Badgers basketball, but now that I can't see it, I don't care so much. Less apt to shell out for a t-shirt, donation, cap.....
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:58 pm

Darwin wrote:Regent St Retreat has the game, $10 all you can drink @ 9 PM.......

Somebody's asking for a hell of a lot of attention from the neighborhood association, alder, ALRC, etc.
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:04 pm

GenericUsername wrote:Oh yeah, it's the NFL's right to do what they want with their properties as well as the cable company's. Since entertainment is not an inherent right, it is up to you in how to spend your entertainment dollars.

But what about public financing of stadiums? Seems to me that if we're paying for the team, we should be able to see it.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby GenericUsername » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:08 pm

Learned wrote:Just make sure you're listening at the beginning of the broadcast for Wayne to tell you who is going Left to Right and vice versa.

Funny you should say that - I actually do listen for it! I'm always sitting at the line of scrimmage about 25 rows up.
GenericUsername

Postby GenericUsername » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:13 pm

Paco wrote:The NFL is entertainment, and when the entertainment is not accessible, what do you think will happen to their product?
Same with BTN. I used to care a lot about the Badgers basketball, but now that I can't see it, I don't care so much. Less apt to shell out for a t-shirt, donation, cap.....

Agreed. I lived in GB for almost a decade, but when I moved here there wasn't as much coverage so, while still a fan, I'm not the huge fan I used to be.

I suppose it's the same way with other teams that are "regional" but don't get the coverage outside of a 200-mile radius.
GenericUsername

Postby GenericUsername » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:23 pm

jjoyce wrote:
GenericUsername wrote:Oh yeah, it's the NFL's right to do what they want with their properties as well as the cable company's. Since entertainment is not an inherent right, it is up to you in how to spend your entertainment dollars.

But what about public financing of stadiums? Seems to me that if we're paying for the team, we should be able to see it.

Makes sense - especially with the UW teams. But, wasn't the Lambeau renovation paid through selling shares, seat licenses, and a local Brown County tax and hotel room tax? And, they are a public owned team (not state owned). If State funds were used I thought those went for the streets around the stadium - which, if you were up in that area prior to renovation there were some major updates needed anyway.

I thought this was the same for the Brewers, in that they didn't use state funds? I am all for being corrected on this.

I have never liked the public financing of private business. I continue to question if it is a "necessary" evil...still haven't made up my mind.
GenericUsername

Postby Learned » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:34 pm

Can one of you tech nerds tell me why this wouldn't work:
http://tinyurl.com/2l459s
Learned
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:47 pm

No way they're letting you watch that game for free. To log on and watch that game, you'll have to pay a fee I'm sure, but if not, at 7:15 call me at 213-......
To even watch MLB games in the summer you have to pay.
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Learned » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:51 pm

Oh, I'm not counting on it working for free. But, if the game's a blowout, either way, I'll probably head home from the tavern and give it a shot.
Learned
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:55 pm

Yea, I'd pay too, beats going to a crowded bar. It may be a blowout, I agree.

it looks like it might be broadcast there live (which is fri 2am over there), but it's European, so who knows how that works. I bet its blocked over here. I tried some links and they didn't work.

Danish Delight??? Don't watch from a work computer. ;)
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby GenericUsername » Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:08 pm

Learned wrote:Oh, I'm not counting on it working for free. But, if the game's a blowout, either way, I'll probably head home from the tavern and give it a shot.

I know that they try blocking connections when they are seen as being from overseas. ESPN 360 has something like that and XFM out of London makes you enter a post code that is "local" otherwise you won't hear the stream.

BTW, doesn't anyone have the feeling that the Packers are due for that inevitable flop game on "national" TV? You know the one.... 3 fumbles (2 by Favre), 4 interceptions (one from a Driver pass on a trick play), a running game of under 45 yards, etc...

Sorry to get off topic.
GenericUsername

PreviousNext

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking