MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Monday, July 14, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 62.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Evel Knievel, RIP

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Evel Knievel, RIP

Postby jjoyce » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:27 pm

I just heard on the radio, but can't find a report of it anywhere.

Those of us in the sweet spot of Gen X were around when his stunts dominated family entertainment on TV and his replica toys were all we wanted for Christmas. I had the motorcycle with the crank ramp, which worked surprisingly well. Better, you could actually do stuff with it like launch it off a second-story deck, carom off a storage shed and into a thistle bush without doing any damage. Truly a toy that lived up to its billing.

It's hard to imagine that a true daredevil was my idol at around 7 years old, but it's true. It's hard to understand why a baseball player or actor is doing something special, but when you take your bike over a row of 20 school buses or a shark tank, it's pretty simple to generate a buzz.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:28 pm

I expect them to take the hearse off some sweet jumps.

My brother had the crank-up Evel motorcycle; it was indeed awesome.
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:58 pm

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:31 pm

One Sunday a few months ago, I think it was around Easter time, I was flipping channels and came across Robert Schueller's "Hour of Power" show from the Crystal Cathedral. Mr Evil was giving testimony to the congregation on how he was laying dying in a hospital bed a few months prior and how he saw the light and asked Jesus for forgiveness for all his sins of sleeping with strange women, guzzling booze and doing drugs and screwing over family and business associates.

It's nice that he made peace with the Lord before he jumped over that Grand Canyon of life called death.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:02 pm

He also made peace with Kanye before going into the great void.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:40 pm

Dude, this sucks.

When I was seven, maybe eight years old my oldest brother broke his big toe trying to jump over my mom's laundry-basket barefoot on his huffy.

Knievel-mania had just claimed another victim in southern Indiana, c.a. 1975; in my mind's eye I see the Emergency Rooms of every trailer-intensive community in America awash that summer with the bell-bottomed maimed frames of myriad little Evels.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Frank Booth » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:20 pm

Well, that's what a reckless life of robbing banks on your off time will get ya...

(according to the rediculous side story in George Hamilton's Evel Kneivel movie)
Frank Booth
Forum Addict

Postby Oprah » Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:30 pm

This thread officially confirms that I am, and have always been, a loser.

Back in '74, I was mesmerized by the stunt cycle commercials between bouts of Conjunction Junction and Super Friends. My parents gave it to me for my 7th b-day. Thing was, I could never get the damn thing to go straight. Every time, wipe out to the left or wipe out to the right. I blamed it on the cycle. Piece of junk.

Nowadays, I'm watching TV with my kids and the toy bombardment continues between bouts of Sponge Bob and more Sponge Bob. "Junk, all junk," I bemoan. I then cite as proof the cool stunt cycle that only worked on TV and turn a disappointment from my past into an opportunity to teach my kids an important lesson that what you see on TV is not real. Like Robert Plant used to say, "If you want lemonade, squeeze my lemon."

But no. Jason and mrak's brother were jumping this and jumping that with their stunt cycles like friggen frogs hopped up on crack back in the day. Well, Jason and mrak's brother, what am I supposed to tell my kids now? That TV's real. That their Dad is wrong (and a loser). Thanks.

Wait. The Hot Wheels Loop the Loop. That piece of junk never worked either. There is hope for me. Thank you, Hot Wheels. Thank you, Robert Plant.
Oprah
Forum God/Goddess

Postby meowzamusic » Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:06 am

When I was a kid, I used to think "RIP" after someone's name meant that they'd been ripped apart and that's why they were dead.
meowzamusic
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:01 pm

meowzamusic wrote:When I was a kid, I used to think "RIP" after someone's name meant that they'd been ripped apart and that's why they were dead.

Man.

That must have been one rough neighborhood.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking